Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 4:47:17 PM EDT
I have a glock 19 and was going to buy some night sites (meps) for them. I dont have the means or the friends to install them for me so I will have to pay a gun store to put them on. My question is this. The same sites that I can get online cost $70; at the store there $105 (but this includes install and sighting them in). They charge $15 for each so thats $30 right there so it wouldnt even benifit me from getting then online for $70. But I'm thinking there fixed night sites so do they really need to be adjusted or sighted in. I mean hell I pay them $15 to put them on and they should be centered and put on straight and they are fixed sites. So Im thinking that as long as there putting them on straight they should already be sited. Is my thinking correct in this guys? If so then I only have to pay them $15 once and not twice. BTW does anyone know how much topglock charges for shipping a set of night sites (the cost for the sites are $70). If you dont know what they charge for shipping hw do I find out. Thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  Rear fixed sights are adjustable left to right, and even a millimeter can make a 5 inch difference at 25 yards. Once sighted in, either a screw is tightened and loctited, or just loctite is applied, locking them in place.

Front fixed sights come in varying heights, to adjust the point of aim.

I have one G-19 that needed .180 height front sights, as my .165 standard ones resulted in shot groups 3" high at 25 yards.

That said, all the people who say most gun fights happen at less than 10 feet will chime in.  That's true if all you plan to do is shoot it out in an elevator, but if you want to plink soda bottles or varmints at 15-20 yards, your sights may need adjustment to hit properly.

You can sight them in yourself, but rear sights in particular take alot of effort to get into the slot without cosmetic damage.  Sometimes it's better to pay someone who's done it a bunch of times, and has the tool to do it, do the work.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I didnt know about the front site height thing. Would you please tell me what to get as I have no idea. As I have already stated above I have a 3rd generation glock 19 with stock fixed sites. What I am wanting are the meps that topglock has for $70 (green front yellow rears). The purpose and use of the gun and sites will be for CCW, HD, and shooting (plinking) at no more than 30 feet away (ok maybe a little farther out but mostly 20 - 30 feet). BTW does any dealers here sell these if so who, how much, and contact info. I'm looking in the EE right now but have found no one as of yet. Id rather support one of our own before I look else where. One last question, for $70 am I doing ok price wise or can these sites be found cheaper else where. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The rear sites are held in place by friction and can be gently drifted over sideways. Move them in the direction you want the rounds to go.

I just use a brass punch and brass hammer. Carefully and gently.  It doesn't take a whole lot and it is very simple to do.
My Glock is dead on now and when I first got it was probably 6-10" off.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The rear sites are held in place by friction and can be gently drifted over sideways. Move them in the direction you want the rounds to go.

I just use a brass punch and brass hammer. Carefully and gently.  It doesn't take a whole lot and it is very simple to do.
My Glock is dead on now and when I first got it was probably 6-10" off.

Plus one. When I got my G19, I was bad about trigger control, and so had to drift the rear sight WAY over to the right. After practicing with it, I've gotten a lot better with it, and now have the sight back almost all the way centered.

The problem is that it is very easy to break the tritium vials that way, which is why they are properly installed with a "sight pusher" tool.
I installed my rear sight by tapping it into place with the handle end of a ball-peen hammer. While it worked for me, I must admit that it probably isn't a method I'd recommend.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well I didnt know about the front site height thing. Would you please tell me what to get as I have no idea. As I have already stated above I have a 3rd generation glock 19 with stock fixed sites. What I am wanting are the meps that topglock has for $70 (green front yellow rears). The purpose and use of the gun and sites will be for CCW, HD, and shooting (plinking) at no more than 30 feet away (ok maybe a little farther out but mostly 20 - 30 feet). BTW does any dealers here sell these if so who, how much, and contact info. I'm looking in the EE right now but have found no one as of yet. Id rather support one of our own before I look else where. One last question, for $70 am I doing ok price wise or can these sites be found cheaper else where. Thanks.

www.cdnninvestments.com/glock5.html

For another option.
You could just cut and paste the sites you are looking for on a google search and compare prices.

As for height of front site, I wouldn't expect that to be much of a problem.
While I agree that you want to be able to hit your target at range (I sometimes shoot at 50-75m even), with night sites you are not going to be shooting at any range. I can't imagine you would be anyhow.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well I didnt know about the front site height thing. Would you please tell me what to get as I have no idea.

Every gun is slightly different.  The best way to tell is to take your Glock to the range first,  and rest the gun on a sandbag or other solid surface while pulling the trigger as slowly as possible, so the gun doesn't move at all from jerking the trigger at the last second.

Once you get around 10 shots in, you'll be able to tell where your gun points by a pattern in a particular region of the target.

I believe the standard height for 9mm's is around .165 for front sights, and that's usually fine (especially at no more than 30 feet), but your gun is plenty capable of hittiing stuff accurately at 25 yards or more.  I have one G-19 that was 3" high at that distance, and the next height front sight fixed that.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm sorry I just thought of another question guys. Are these sites all metal or are they plastic. Thanks again. Sorry for all of the questions. I just dont have the cash to spend on something that I dont want.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Trijicons are metal, as I suspect all or nearly all night sights would be.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem is that it is very easy to break the tritium vials that way, which is why they are properly installed with a "sight pusher" tool.

I'd go ahead and pay the shop to do it right.  $30 isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, especially on your primary PDW.

-Troy

I hear ya.
Problem is that it might still not be on for you.

I'd probably buy the tool myself if I were going to install night sites.
I'm big on self reliance though and keep adding to my supply of tools and spare parts.  Probably have Glock parts I will never use. They were cheap though.

Actually, just today I changed out my slide lock and slide stop in one of my G17s after doing a complete strip, clean and rebuild.  It was pretty damn dirty and no, I don't over oil. I shoot a lot though and do this aobut once a year with it. No doubt it needed it. The slide lock was not functioning properly and was pretty damn worn, esp in the pin hole.  Will have to try it out again now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#11]
For people who insist on installing night sights themselves, but don't want to buy a sight tool, I've found a C-clamp with masking tape to prevent scratches, allows you to push a tritium sight until it's flush with the slide, then it only takes a few gentle taps with a hammer.

I've installed 4 sets of night sights over the years this way, and though kind of awkward to keep the C-clamp from slipping, I've never broken any vials.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#12]
btt
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top