Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 2:33:22 PM EDT
I am frustrated in searching for a handheld GPS unit - they don't seem to download an actual USGS map but instead have their own propriority software maps, which do not have the detail I want.

Does anybody make a GPS unit where I can actually see some detailed contour lines?

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I use my Magellan SportTrak in conjuncion with real USGS maps while backpacking.

Honestly though, half the time I find the elevation profile of a planned route on my GPS to be more useful/easier than using topos.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I use my Magellan SportTrak in conjuncion with real USGS maps while backpacking.

I am assuming that by this you mean you had the GPS in one hand and the USGS map in the other and used them together, right?  Or did the GPS unit actually show the USGS map image?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am assuming that by this you mean you had the GPS in one hand and the USGS map in the other and used them together, right?  Or did the GPS unit actually show the USGS map image?

The former. I determine my path using the USGS map, set waypoints manually on my GPS, and use my GPS exclusively for the duration of the trip. On some trips, I don't use my GPS at all, just to keep my orienteering skills with a compass honed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Garmin Legend Cx. I bought the Garmin USA TOPO map software that shows lakes, elevation contour, trails and off hiway roads.

To my knowledge you can't upload USGS topo maps onto it though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Garmin, Magellan, and Lowrance all have topo capable handheld GPS systems but none of them use actual USGS 7.5' quads.

memory is the biggest reason.  for example all 1900 7.5' quads for arizona take up 7 CD-ROMS.  you would have to have 256mb of ram for any decent ammount of maps for a hike.  the USGS maps are also scanned images.. the proprietary maps are vector graphics so you can zoom in without pixelation.  You just have to deal with 1:100,000 instead of the 1:24,000 of the 7.5'

I use garmin.

the new "x" series from garmin vista Cx, legend Cx, 60CSx are where its at!  the CSx has a new extremely sensitive and fast antenna, as well as all the X series has mini SD/MMC slots.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:22:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought that memory was probably the reason that I can't see that USGS map scroll by in my hand, but was thinking maybe a small number of maps might be accomodated.  I think I will go with the new Garmin model as that was what I had been looking at.

Thanks to all for the input.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:57:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top