Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/18/2006 10:57:41 AM EDT
So I'm gathering estimates to have my house re-roofed.

It will be a $10k+ job. Probably around $12k

The roofer that just stopped by....he gets out of the truck, looks at the roof  (from my driveway) and says

"call me a chicken or whatever, but that roof is too steep for my crews"

I laughed at him

Are his crews made up of wheelchair-bound roofers? Do I need an ADA-compliant roof?

That dude needs to turn in his man card.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Find cheap immigrant labor.

They roof houses that Americans won't roof.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I tell some people that who want me to install wireless internet antennas way up there, but only in the winter when the roof is covered in ice.  Metal roofs are always off limits though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes what is the pitch of the roof?

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What's the pitch of the roof?  Pics?

straight up and down. is that normal?

it's less than 45 deg. what is normal?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Metal roofs are always off limits though.

Why so?

Just a wild guess but maybe because he deals with electricity?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#9]
To put things in perspective, the two other very reliable roofing companies made no mention of it, nor did they add some sort of "steep roof surcharge"

At least this wuss could have said "wow, that's steep, I'll need to charge extra"
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why so?

Metal roofs are a lot more slippery than "normal" shingled roofs.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why so?

Just a wild guess but maybe because he deals with electricity?

Yep, and because they are slick when wet, icy, or covered in snow.

I dont have a problem with metal roofs at all, as long as the homeowner springs for a rhino-lining for the entire roof.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Varies, the roof on my house is a 6-12 pitch. That means for every foot in length the roof raises 6 inches.

Alot of houses have a 4-12 pitch.

When you get into the 9-12 through 12-12 range, you get some steep roofs....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1

I see them on jobsites all the time taking risks and doing stuff like that we Americans wont do anymore.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I see them on jobsites all the time taking risks and doing stuff like that we Americans wont do anymore.

My brother's an ironworker.  Americans do those jobs too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Varies, the roof on my house is a 6-12 pitch. That means for every foot in length the roof raises 6 inches.

Alot of houses have a 4-12 pitch.

When you get into the 9-12 through 12-12 range, you get some steep roofs....

it's certainly less than 12-12

either way, the guy is a freaking roofer.

it's not like I was asking the tile guy for a quote.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They roof houses that Americans won't roof. [/quoteLOL, but true
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Wasn't European was he?, they have laws about misbent bannanas, and to curvey cucumbers, so I too steep roof wouldn't surprise me....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I've heard  several builders say roofing has gone way up because of the hurricanes, there is so much work, they can almost name their price, and it makes sense, at least for the coastal states. Are you getting yours fixed because of damage, or it's just that time? Because if you could put it off for a little while it may be cheaper, when the roofing business slows down. Just a suggestion, also what is the approx sq ft of your roof? My house is 2800sq ft, one story, it cost me 4200  about 3 years ago, and that was with  3d looking shingles.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My brother's an ironworker.  Americans do those jobs too.

Allow me to rephrase.

I watched the Ironworkers (Local 86) set the upper overhang trusses on the new Seattle Library.

They had harnesses and safety gear, training and are getting paid $80-100K per year.

I see the illegals do homebuilding everyday and do roofing and the sort for $6-8 an hour.

Americans wont do the menial work for minimum pay. Thats the point I meant to convey.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't think I can afford an iron roof
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I've shingled 12x12 pitch. It was fun and scary but mostly fun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I've shingled 12x12 pitch. It was fun and scary but mostly fun.

The nice part aboput a 12 pitch is you can stand upright on the roof jacks, and still be able to reach the roof to nail shingles.   A real back saver.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Do steeper pitched roofs last longer?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Do steeper pitched roofs last longer?

THey are better where it snows alot. Flatter roofs hold more snow, and therefore more weight.

Having lots of weight over your head while you are sitting in your house is a bad thing.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#28]
NoVaGator how many square is your roof?
square = every ten X ten foot area
Any valley's?
pics would help.
I might know of a good crew close to you who could save you a ton.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#29]
$10K to roof a house, must be a BIG house.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Any valley's?
pics would help.

I don't know exactly how many sq ft....although the estimates that I have specify 50 and 54 sheets of CDX. That's why the number is high....I need new decking and plywood is really expensive these days.

Not many valleys.

If it was just shingles, this would be a $6k job

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any valley's?
pics would help.

I don't know exactly how many sq ft....although the estimates that I have specify 50 and 54 sheets of CDX. That's why the number is high....I need new decking and plywood is really expensive these days.

Not many valleys.

If it was just shingles, this would be a $6k job

Your roof is a little under 17 sq.
Depending on valley's and pitch 10 too 12 K is too high.

You have a digital camera?
Edited to add:
That comes out to $705.00 a sq.
Even with redecking and the old roof tear off it's out of line.
Thats a two day job for a crew of 3 or 4.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You have a digital camera?

Does the pope have a funny hat?

I'll take some pics
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#33]
OK the first pic is the "complicated" side of the roof:

The second pic is a profle shot that also shows a small porch portion as well as size of the opposite side of the roof:

Note that the opposite side only has one vent pipe.

As you can see, this is a 12-12 roof or less

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a guy come out to do a wireless survey. The job involves mounting an antenna to an object of sufficient height to obtain at least visual line of sight to a distant tower. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this involves going up on a roof at a minimum. So the guy shows up.

ME: "Where's your climbing gear? You're not going to climb my tower without it are you?"
INSTALLER: "Climb your tower? No way. We don't do that."
ME: "Okay, I guess you could try it from the roof, but I don't think you'll hit anything"
INSTALLER: "What? No, I'm not going up on the roof."
ME: "Dude, you can't see the tower from the ground, and you know as well as I do that 2.4GHz needs at least visual line of site."
INSTALLER: "Can you go up on your roof?"
ME: "WTF? Are you afraid of heights or something? God damnit, give me your gear."

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#35]
12-12's are cake for roofing, but a little tough to put sheathing down.

The only time I have been scared was on putting sheathing on a home with a 20-12.  Spooky.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
OK the first pic is the "complicated" side of the roof:

i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/Gatordonald/IMG_0002.jpg

The second pic is a profle shot that also shows a small porch portion as well as size of the opposite side of the roof:
i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/Gatordonald/IMG_0003.jpg

Note that the opposite side only has one vent pipe.

As you can see, this is a 12-12 roof or less

Find another roofer. Jesus, what a bunch of pussies. *I* would climb that, and I'm not a roofer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#37]
He didn't need the work.

Maybe he would have jumped on it if it were a 4/12 ranch, but he doesn't need to take any jobs he doesn't like the look of, so he doesn't.

Maybe he just doesn't like to wear a harness, who knows?

His choice.

Why does it bother you? you just did a job interview, and the applicant took a look at the job and said he wasn't interested, no biggie.

Next!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
He didn't need the work.

Maybe he would have jumped on it if it were a 4/12 ranch, but he doesn't need to take any jobs he doesn't like the look of, so he doesn't.

Maybe he just doesn't like to wear a harness, who knows?

His choice.

Why does it bother you? you just did a job interview, and the applicant took a look at the job and said he wasn't interested, no biggie.

Next!

it doesn't "bother" me....I just think he's a pussy and I would expect a roofer to be comfortable working on any roof within reason.

And if he didn't need the work, why did he event bother to stop by? It's not like he lives around the corner. He came from about 20 mi away on a Saturday.

Maybe he found out that my wife is a construction attorney.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Has anyone explained to you why you need to replace the plywood ? Your house isn't that old.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#42]
alquila.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Has anyone explained to you why you need to replace the plywood ? Your house isn't that old.

Improper/inadequate ventilation.  It's all cathedral ceilings inside. There's no attic so the inside wallboard is affixed to the joists on one side...and the roof deck is on the other side. We're  installing Smart Vent in the fascia behind the gutter to remedy this.

To clarify....I'm replacing the decking because it's in bad shape. I'm doing the Smart Vent to add ventilation to prevent the deck from rotting again

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

is it a 12/12 or worse
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're part of the problem.

Encouraging illegal immigrants is flat out STUPID.  You're saying "Screw my fellow Americans!  I want to give my money to TRESPASSERS!"

I'm the extreme reverse.   I won't make a deal with even a lawn service if they don't attest, in writing, that  EVERY LAST ONE OF THEIR EMPLOYEES ARE US CITIZENS.

I will not do business with ANY company that hires goddamned illegal aliens, PERIOD!!!

No true American would.

CJ

You've been here long enough to know that I am being sarcastic.

Lets all get pissy because i refuse to use a sarcastic smiley.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Improper/inadequate ventilation.  It's all cathedral ceilings inside. There's no attic so the inside wallboard is affixed to the joists on one side...and the roof deck is on the other side. We're  installing Smart Vent in the fascia behind the gutter to remedy this.

That product does not necessitate an entire replacement of the plywood unless you are also installing baffles above the insulation to allow air flow to the ridge. Is that what is being done here?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That product does not necessitate an entire replacement of the plywood unless you are also installing baffles above the insulation to allow air flow to the ridge. Is that what is being done here?

The existing decking is already soft and sagging in numerous spots as a result of 20 yrs of inadequate ventilation. We're adding the Smart Vent so it hopefully doesn't happen again.

ETA: currently there is ZERO ventialtion at the eaves.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#49]
My house is due for a new roof, as someone double-layered the shingles 15 years ago. I believe the pitch is 4/12 and there are no valleys. I'm going to do mine myself in the next couple of months (I've helped others on two roofs), and figure it at about 18 squares. My father (a retired sheetmetal journeyman) is trying to convince me to put a metal roof on it. Either way, I'll be out less than $2K and it will be done in a weekend.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#50]
The pricing you quoted in the beginning sounds fair to me given the complexity of the job. As you probably know a "good" price can bite you in the ass. Get everything in writing, don't assume anything, get references and followup on checking them out. Make damn sure he gives you a certificate of insurance naming you as being insured and not just an insurance binder. Talk to his insurance company named on the certificate and make sure he is more than covered to do this job. Good luck and be prepared for bad weather.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top