Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 9:55:08 AM EDT
Absofrikkenlutely PACKED. Wall to wall.  Bought 3 Polish AK mags, 4 BRW S-1 m-14 mags 1 CMI m-14 mag, 2 In the box [I trust this guy, bought a lot in the past from him] M-14 mags, 500 rounds of MFS .45acp, 200 rounds of .45acp reload target ammo [bought from him for 10 years] 100 rounds of .308 168gr Match ammo, 1000 rounds of Golden Tiger 7.62x39, [AK fodder].
Helped my bro buy a 870 shottie with cantilevered  rifled BBL with scope and smooth bore bird BBL also. Did OK, not great on that but that was the only cantilevered 870 in the place.

Almost no 7.62 x 39, almost no surp .308 [SA], 5.56 [RG], little bit of 30/06 but most was KA stuff except for one guy. Not looking good for the surplus market. Better buy your surp.308 now as the guys I have dealt with for YEARS are all saying to a man, that it is almost gone. NOTHING is coming in right now. Did not even see one round of 7.62x39 wolf there, tho some 223 and .45acp stuff was around.

Used Gun prices for the most part were WAY up. New gun prices saw a significant jump also. I saw NO Colt Defense carbines at all, just a few 6700s and such. People were buying tho, mostly Mil style guns, and of course any Winchester lever that was not nailed down.

Saw a chromed mini 14 Everything but the sight was chromed. Even the aftermarket cone flash hider was chromed. Also saw a Chromed Fal. Bastards!!! Fugly!!!!!!!!

Well, went on Sunday also and scored on some SA 5,56!!!! battlepacks. Only 4 were left but I love this stuff and he sold it to me for $180 for 4 packs. Also found 2 cans of AUSSIE .308 surplus on strippers and in bandos, $40 per 200 round can. Got some Korean 30/06 400 rounds of PS boxed for $60. [Good lot number] Found 3 M-14 mags, 1 KMT, 1 HR-R and one GI SA. All were in very nice condition, some scratches on the finish but unused, $20 apiece. [Yes I know there are fakes out there and saw MORE then a few of those, but these were correct. Well worth the entry and gas money. Also got a line on some GI 1911 parts, VERY good priced to include some 2 tone mags. Lookin at those next weekend.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Lansing show?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Any obvious JBT presence?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Used Gun prices for the most part were WAY up. New gun prices saw a significant jump also. I saw NO Colt Defense carbines at all, just a few 6700s and such. People were buying tho, mostly Mil style guns, and of course any Winchester lever that was not nailed down..

Years ago, I bought a shooter M1 Garand with rattely handguards and so-so barrel for $250, nowadays, I don't see too many of them for around $400, but then I haven't been to a gun show for a few years.

As for ammo, I think a Hurricane Katrina rattled a lot of people up, and some panic buying ensued.  I think this ammo shortage will be resolved in about 5-8 months because most of the surplus stuff is from overseas, and it takes like 1-2 months just to ship that stuff across the ocean.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As for ammo, I think a Hurricane Katrina rattled a lot of people up, and some panic buying ensued.  I think this ammo shortage will be resolved in about 5-8 months because most of the surplus stuff is from overseas, and it takes like 1-2 months just to ship that stuff across the ocean.

Until they close the "ammo loophole," that is.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Lansing show?

Why yes indeedy. Got there at 9am. Packed by 11, gone at 1:00. Will be at the Hillsdale show next sat. Friend is bringing me some 30 carbine sabot rounds. [855 bullet] 2400FPS.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Used Gun prices for the most part were WAY up. New gun prices saw a significant jump also. I saw NO Colt Defense carbines at all, just a few 6700s and such. People were buying tho, mostly Mil style guns, and of course any Winchester lever that was not nailed down..

Years ago, I bought a shooter M1 Garand with rattely handguards and so-so barrel for $250, nowadays, I don't see too many of them for around $400, but then I haven't been to a gun show for a few years.

I saw a pretty nice VAR [danish] BBL SA Garand with a perfect BBL and pretty nice wood tho it was not original. Lots of Tiger stripe in it. $500. Not a collector but would have been a very good shooter. ALLLLLLmost bought it.

I would not bet on lots of ammo coming in as Surplus for a while. I've dealt with some of the guys for over 10 years now. It's killing them because they have so little to sell with none to restock. [or very little at higher prices] The guys who are doing OK are the ones that stocked up about 5 to 7 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#7]
They always forget to pick up jerky

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They always forget to pick up jerky

I have about 350-400 pounds of venison in the freezer, I MAKE my own jerky.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I saw a pretty nice VAR [danish] BBL SA Garand with a perfect BBL and pretty nice wood tho it was not original. Lots of Tiger stripe in it. $500. Not a collector but would have been a very good shooter. ALLLLLLmost bought it.  

I would have bought it for $500.00, they want $700.00- $900.00 for the same rifle here.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would have bought it for $500.00, they want $700.00- $900.00 for the same rifle here.

I just got one for $675 and I was happy to pay it. Great shooting rifle.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#11]
It has gotten bad lately. Almost as bad as pre-Y2K buying and pricing.

Yeah, yeah, I know, WOT in the sandbox, blah, blah,blah. But it seems to me worldwide "they" should be able to produce more than enough ammo to leave some laying around for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#12]
You wont see an M1 here fgor less than 650 and 650 is if you're lucky. Shit, M1 carbines are the same. Used to see 'em for 350-400 but not any more.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#13]
There was a gunshow here in the local town.  Just a bunch of junk dealers.

Max
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Updated and the VAR Garand was GONE. Oh well, scored on some ammo tho!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was there. I bought one of those SA battle packs.

As for surplus ammo, you can kiss that one good bye.    Anybody that thinks there will be big lots of surplus ammo hitting the market again, I think has rose colored glasses on. I've talked to a lot of dealers and they are all saying, nothing is coming in and no word on any more around sitting in warehouses. That last big batch of Surplus ammo was brought in from a dealer in Germany. SA isn't letting go of anymore ammo, because they want to stay in the good graces of the UN. And I doubt there will be anymore Hirt, Danish or Port ammo out there to be had. You can bet all that was had, was brought in a LONG time ago and now it's gone.

The American manufactures are going to be asking premium prices from now on, because they'll be the only game in town. They need to make up the difference from when they were losing sales to surplus ammo.

You guys just shoot too much!

And where was that VAR Garand you are talking about? Was it the one on the table with the bayonet on it?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I havent been to a gunshow in maybr 5 or 6 months.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As for surplus ammo, you can kiss that one good bye.    Anybody that thinks there will be big lots of surplus ammo hitting the market again, I think has rose colored glasses on. I've talked to a lot of dealers and they are all saying, nothing is coming in and no word on any more around sitting in warehouses. That last big batch of Surplus ammo was brought in from a dealer in Germany. SA isn't letting go of anymore ammo, because they want to stay in the good graces of the UN. And I doubt there will be anymore Hirt, Danish or Port ammo out there to be had. You can bet all that was had, was brought in a LONG time ago and now it's gone.

The American manufactures are going to be asking premium prices from now on, because they'll be the only game in town. They need to make up the difference from when they were losing sales to surplus ammo.

And where was that VAR Garand you are talking about? Was it the one on the table with the bayonet on it?

Yes, the Garand was on the left as you walked in about 2 rows down and 2 tables in. He said it sold yesterday afternoon. That WAS a new VAR on it as there was no wear at all anywhere on it except some handleing marks. Stock needed some work with a bit of sanding and finishing but it would have been a nice looking one.
I got a good price on the SA as I have bought a LOT of stuff from the guy, and he gave me a break on the price. It's worth getting to know some of these guys as I have bought some nice stuff that some of them knew I was looking for. If you ever want some SWEET accurate ammo, check out the fat guys table on the left as you walk in. I guarantee he has some very very good ammo. Reloaded but I've known him for years and his stuff is GOOD! A lot of what he talks sounds like BS, but I guarantee it is NOT. You do NOT want to be downrange from this guy, he is a scary good shooter, even tho he does not look like it. He is also a Glock genius and knows his stuff.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, the Garand was on the left as you walked in about 2 rows down and 2 tables in. He said it sold yesterday afternoon. That WAS a new VAR on it as there was no wear at all anywhere on it except some handleing marks. Stock needed some work with a bit of sanding and finishing but it would have been a nice looking one.
I got a good price on the SA as I have bought a LOT of stuff from the guy, and he gave me a break on the price. It's worth getting to know some of these guys as I have bought some nice stuff that some of them knew I was looking for. If you ever want some SWEET accurate ammo, check out the fat guys table on the left as you walk in. I guarantee he has some very very good ammo. Reloaded but I've known him for years and his stuff is GOOD! A lot of what he talks sounds like BS, but I guarantee it is NOT. You do NOT want to be downrange from this guy, he is a scary good shooter, even tho he does not look like it. He is also a Glock genius and knows his stuff.

This "fat" guy...is he the one that reloads all the ammo and sells the targets? I've talked with him before and thought about buying some ammo, but his reload price was about the same for new ammo. Maybe I'll have to give his ammo a try.

And the guy that had the SA battle packs...he's a great guy and very good to deal with.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You wont see an M1 here fgor less than 650 and 650 is if you're lucky. Shit, M1 carbines are the same. Used to see 'em for 350-400 but not any more.

Damn Pooby, which shows do you go to?  I haven't seen a M1 go for less the $950 in well over a year.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#20]
$180 for 4 packs?  Damn prices have gone up since I bought any.  Thank God I stocked up when they had those brown tubs available.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This "fat" guy...is he the one that reloads all the ammo and sells the targets? I've talked with him before and thought about buying some ammo, but his reload price was about the same for new ammo. Maybe I'll have to give his ammo a try.

And the guy that had the SA battle packs...he's a great guy and very good to deal with.

No the fat guy is right on the wall to your left as you walk in. His Dad sell mostly hunting ammo. Trust me, his ammo is superior to any new stuff around his price range. His .308 match stuff is totally hand made. Every round has the cases trimmed to exactly the same length, powder weighed by hand, primers hand done, and his bullets are the best you can buy. I've got 1000 rounds of his 53 grain Hornady match .223. If I see you anytime I will GIVE you 20 and you can see for yourself. I shoot his .45acp all the time, and he has made me up special loads for several years. He does a lot of orders also. Many match shooter have him make up their loads. He has won more then a few up there matches in his day.
I will say this, his reloads are in better shape then 99.9% of factory new stuff and all the brass is sorted and once fired UNLESS he reloads your own used brass for you. It will look better then new.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
$180 for 4 packs?  Damn prices have gone up since I bought any.  Thank God I stocked up when they had those brown tubs available.

They were going for $45 a pack of 300 right before they were all bought up.

I saw a couple of these packs with a price tag of $75 and $80 on them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No the fat guy is right on the wall to your left as you walk in. His Dad sell mostly hunting ammo. Trust me, his ammo is superior to any new stuff around his price range. His .308 match stuff is totally hand made. Every round has the cases trimmed to exactly the same length, powder weighed by hand, primers hand done, and his bullets are the best you can buy. I've got 1000 rounds of his 53 grain Hornady match .223. If I see you anytime I will GIVE you 20 and you can see for yourself. I shoot his .45acp all the time, and he has made me up special loads for several years. He does a lot of orders also. Many match shooter have him make up their loads. He has won more then a few up there matches in his day.
I will say this, his reloads are in better shape then 99.9% of factory new stuff and all the brass is sorted and once fired UNLESS he reloads your own used brass for you. It will look better then new.

Ok, I know who you are talking about.

Yeah, I'll have to try those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top