Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 9:05:49 AM EDT
After looking at my dry cleaning bill this month, I think im going to look into washing and ironing my shirts myself . Problem is, i am a total spaz when it comes to ironing. Im thinking of maybe getting one of those steamers that look like a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment. Or maybe a mini steam press.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Models/ Manufacturer recommendations welcome.

-Mac
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#1]
When you say spaz, do you mean obsessive or can't do it?

The steamers are cool, but don't get that little hand steamer that is like $29.00, it is junk. Spend the $150 for a commercial stand up steamer
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:10:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought one for the apartment in Singapore and love it.  1000x better and faster than ironing.  My brother just got one from Grandma for Christmas (a little travel steamer made in Italy) small but effective none the less.  

ETA mine is a stand up and yes it is better.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#3]
My bro & I bought one for my mom off amazon for Christmas. She loves the thing but personally I didn't think it worked that great. My suggestion....stop buying clothes that need to be pressed!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#4]
By spaz I mean i cant.

I looked at overstock.com and they had a couple differnt types.  I want to physically  see it before buying it though.

Wish i was a blues jeans and tshirt kinda guy, but i luvs a nicely pressed shirt and slacks.

-mac
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok, I like my clothes to look pressed, so most of my clothes go to the dry cleaners.

Do these steamers make your clothes look pressed or do they just take the wrinkles out.

Also Polo type Golf shirts shrink really bad, so I take them to the cleaners as well and they always look great.

Is this "steamer" a viable option to a dry cleaners for me???
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ok, I like my clothes to look pressed, so most of my clothes go to the dry cleaners.

Do these steamers make your clothes look pressed or do they just take the wrinkles out.

Also Polo type Golf shirts shrink really bad, so I take them to the cleaners as well and they always look great.

Is this "steamer" a viable option to a dry cleaners for me???

We use steamers at work - pretty much everything you see in a clothing store is steamed not pressed.  Also, starch is really not good for clothing - especially cotton dress shirts.  On my stuff I steam and then use an iron for sleeves and cuff - definitely saves time.

eta- get the expensive steamer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top