Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 7:02:10 AM EDT
Swiss up 2-0 right now, but a Canadian goal is being reviewed right now...

If the Schweitzers win this game it will be their 1980 Miracle on ice game!

Just in: NO GOAL!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you really rooting for the Swiss or just hoping the Canadians lose?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Are you really rooting for the Swiss or just hoping the Canadians lose?

Both. I have roots in Switzerland and I think the Canadians are too proud when it comes to hockey.

Annnnnnd, they lose. Switzerland played their jocks off. I don't want anyone to complain about the officiating either (and the 2 Canadian goals that were waved off) because by all that's right and holy the Canucks should have won this game by 4 goals.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I made $100 4 years ago betting on the Canadians.  The guys I bet against were "USA! USA!" types.  I know nothing about hockey, and neither did they, but one thing I know is that Candians are good at hockey.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Of course they're good at it! It's just that... today, the Swiss were better.

Today was hubris crashing the net for the Canadians. They're great... they just need to expect to play harder than they may think they need to. They played well, but the Swiss were just a touch more of a team than the Canadians.

FYI I am a "USA!" type but even I wouldnt' have bet against Canada 4 years ago. Then again, maybe I would have with the way Gretzky was acting at the time.

If you recall he was saying things like "everyone's against us, they all want us to lose..." in the press, totally being a whiny little six year old about it... Of course we want you to lose, Wayne... we're all rooting for our own teams! DUH!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#5]
We couldn't stay in SUI though.

They know to do things right there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
\

FYI I am a "USA!" type but even I wouldnt' have bet against Canada 4 years ago.

Oh me too.  When it comes to kicking ass, you'd be pretty stupid to bet against the USA.  But like Harry Callahan said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
We couldn't stay in SUI though.

They know to do things right there.

You lived there? Cool. I've always wanted to visit. My grandfather is from the German part of Switzerland.

------

One more thing that occurred to me about the game, and why I think it's so awesome that the Canadians lost: It's going to be hilarious watching the Canadian hockey telecasts for the next, oh, year or so. They get VERY indignant when they lose to a team they believe is beneath them. Which is exactly what happened in the 1996 World Cup of Hockey- the Canadians lost to the US team. They whined about that for YEARS - in fact IMHO the 2002 Winter Olympic Canadian team was purpose built to beat the US team as a result (and that's what they did)... The Canadians have long memories, they have pride in their game (which isn't always a bad thing, just when you become over-prideful and think the world owes you because you gave them the best game in the world...) and they really do have the best talent in the world. They just need to remember that when you're the "big dog", everyone wants a piece of you... Reference the Red Wings and a few other dominant teams of the last 15 or so years in the NHL... and frankly, it extends to world policy as well. This is exactly how other nations like to think of the United States. We're the big dogs and thus every two bit douchebag wants a piece of us.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#8]
No I've never been.

I'm just saying we could visit, but we could never become citizens.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No I've never been.

I'm just saying we could visit, but we could never become citizens.

AH, gotcha.

They've got some goofy laws of their own but I just love the idea of shooting from mountain to mountain over stuff like, oh, roads... (totally legally, and safely, too)
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#10]
If memory serves me correctly,  they also have 2 years of required military service.
After which you keep your service rifle and are basically part of the civilian service and would be required to take up arms to defend your country.

It would seem they have a very nationalistic view of things but I wouldn't know for sure since I've never been.

IMO, nothing wrong with nationalism.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top