Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 10:37:38 PM EDT
Can a 7.62 x 39 be safely shot in a rifle chambered for 7.62 x 54?

I'm gonna have another stoopid question in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
No
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I would not recommend it.

No.

Stay alive by not doing it.

Don't

No.

Nu uh.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you.

end of discussion.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thank you.

end of discussion.

Unless you get it locked, it probably won't be
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thank you.

end of discussion.

Cool.

Where is the other question?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#6]
My brother, who posts here under the name 608 manuveering, (the bird pics guy), tells me that i can ship any firearm made before 1898, to him in Hawaii. No license required. Through the post office, right to his door.

The only license I have is a carry permit and he certainly has none being stuck in hawaii and all. But he insists that it would be legal. I have a lot to lose if I break a firearms law. So, whats the skinny on this. Am I ignorant or is he an assclown?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldnt do it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't do it Forest
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe anything made before 1898 is not considered a firearm, so you should be ok. I'm not totally sure though
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I believe anything made before 1898 is not considered a firearm, so you should be ok. I'm not totally sure though

That is correct.  

Under federal firearms laws, receivers manufactured before 1898 are NOT considered firearms.

I remember seeing some nice Finnish M44 rifles (or Maybe Soviet - anyhoo, WW2 rifles) that were built on pre 1898 recievers.  So, a good, realibale WW2 bolt gun, but can be purchased without an FFL or a form 4473.

Maybe local laws differ, and perhaps they might fall under regulatins similar to blackpowder or something like that under state laws, but from the viewpoint of federal law, pre-1898 is antique.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#11]
A rifle made before 1898 is no longer restricted by federal law.

For some reason the ATF and federal law see that a 108 year old rifle is no longer deadly and can by-pass the FFL. I'm not complaining at all.

If you look at a Sportsmans guide catalog, they sell a Turkish Mauser. They flat out tell you that anyone can own it and there are only a few restrictions.

Looking at the catalog, there is a No.38 restriction which states: Cannot be shipped to CA:HI:IL:NY Guam:Northern Mariana Islands or America Samona.

This is just Sportsmans guide policy. I being a resident of Illinois can recieve C&R rifles all day long as long as UPS\FEDEX is shipping.

So don't take their word for it.

If i were a bettin man, I'd say shipping an 108 year old rifle to Hawaii is legal. As i'm sure your brother the bird man has already lookd into the matter. Just makes sure you have read HI state law.

BTW, tell your brother to keep up with the Samson updates.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#12]
DK....thats what he was telling me. Thanks for the verification.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is correct.  

Under federal firearms laws, receivers manufactured before 1898 are NOT considered firearms.

I remember seeing some nice Finnish M44 rifles (or Maybe Soviet - anyhoo, WW2 rifles) that were built on pre 1898 recievers.  So, a good, realibale WW2 bolt gun, but can be purchased without an FFL or a form 4473.

Maybe local laws differ, and perhaps they might fall under regulatins similar to blackpowder or something like that under state laws, but from the viewpoint of federal law, pre-1898 is antique.

w00t! I was right about something

So does that mean a felon could posess a pre-1898 "antique"?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:08:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is correct.  

w00t! I was right about something

So does that mean a felon could posess a pre-1898 "antique"?

Technically he could buy one no problem.

But as a felon he would not be able to possess the rifle legally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top