Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 7:59:41 PM EDT
I was looking at personal flying machines and found these different things out there.
The first one looks like it could chop off your head real quick if something went wrong.

The GEN-H4 from Japan
www.ohgizmo.com/2005/10/19/the-gen-h4-personnal-helicopter/

Movie....www.gen-corp.jp/Sozai/photo/Sun_n_fun01/Default.wmv

The Air Scooter
www.airscooter.com/pages/airscooter_main.htm

And the Solo Trek

www.millenniumjet.com/
video....www.millenniumjet.com/Trek_Video.htm

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure, why not. We all gotta die sometime.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
fixed wing only for this guy thank you
My RC helicopter is dangerous enough with me flying it
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm waitng for this one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I really think that the Moller Sky Car is nothing but a sham. I have yet to see footage of the thing actually flying like a plane or a helicopter. Yes it can hover a bit but the 300 mph he promises I think is a bit far fetched. Though I give the guy credit for thinking something like this up.  And with that twin engine stand up contrapion!!!!!! Yikes! What happens when one nacelle loses power?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm waitng for this one.

you'll be waiting a long time. Moler has been working on that heap for decades and has lost millions of other people's money and several marriages on the project.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell yeah, i'd get on one of those things.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think I'd like to hop in one of those things, but I've been designing and flying ultralights for years.  Almost killed myself a few times, which is a problem if you're trying out your own designs and don't really know what your doing.  I haven't done it in about ten years or so, though.  I don't even know what the FAA regs are anymore.  They had to change them after Sept. 11, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Moller has been scamming people out of money since the 50's, in all that time he has never flown any of his craft off a tether, he's in his 80's now, he will never live long enough to see one fly off the tether.  The current model which has finally been flown on a tether in the hover, is incapable of controlled flight, all it can do after 30 years of development is hover, and only when on a tether.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the air scooter. I'd give it a try!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was looking at personal flying machines and found these different things out there.
The first one looks like it could chop off your head real quick if something went wrong.

The GEN-H4 from Japan
www.ohgizmo.com/2005/10/19/the-gen-h4-personnal-helicopter/

Movie....www.gen-corp.jp/Sozai/photo/Sun_n_fun01/Default.wmv
www.coolest-gadgets.com/wp-images/sunfun2002_4.jpg

The Air Scooter
www.airscooter.com/pages/airscooter_main.htm
www.airscooter.com/assets/body_pic_2.jpg

And the Solo Trek

www.millenniumjet.com/
video....www.millenniumjet.com/Trek_Video.htm

rotorcraft.arc.nasa.gov/research/images/SoloTrek4z3.jpg

I've seen the Japanese machines fly - at least they have multiple engines so loss of one or two is probably going to let you get back on the ground in one piece.

I know the "chief engineer" on the last one - the answer is no.

All of this sort of machine are fundamentally dangerous to the soft, pink bodies of humans which don't impact the hard, hard Earth with much grace.

Moller is a con man without a clue.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#11]
So, uh, what happens when you run out of gas?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#12]
NO
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I still wouldn't mind strapping a fan to my ass and go para sailing
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the ones that look like a lawn chair and a fan hanging from a parachute.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Think about the number of idiots on the road who can't handle operating in two dimensions.  Imagine givng those people an aircraft.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Think about that for a second..........

Ok, so what happens when an airplane runs out of gas ??

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the idea is to land before you run out.  Radical, eh ?  

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#17]
We were supposed to have flying cars by the year 2000, I WANT MY FLYING CAR DAMMIT!!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The Japanese one has a ballistic parachute mounted on top of the mast just in case you do just that. The thing also has four 10HP engines not one 8HP like the geek website said. I am considering one as we type.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Think about that for a second..........

Ok, so what happens when an airplane runs out of gas ??

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the idea is to land before you run out.  Radical, eh ?  

The small coaxial helos have no provision (clutch) for an autorotation so it is something to think about.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:32:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Think about the number of idiots on the road who can't handle operating in two dimensions.  Imagine givng those people an aircraft.  

what he said

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I like this one.  It's a true helicopter and an ultralight, so no pilots license, though I think  anyone who trys to fly a helicopter or any other flying machine without training deserves the outcome.  

www.innovatortech.ca/

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I don't think I'd like to hop in one of those things, but I've been designing and flying ultralights for years.  Almost killed myself a few times, which is a problem if you're trying out your own designs and don't really know what your doing.  I haven't done it in about ten years or so, though.  I don't even know what the FAA regs are anymore.  They had to change them after Sept. 11, I'm sure.

Why would Sep 11 change what is or is not a Part 103 legal ultralight?

In addition to Part 103 machines, we now have what is called "Sport Pilot" designation.  2 seater aircraft such as a C152 qualify.  Your driver's license is your medical.

Anyway, I wouldn't fly the twin nacelle thing without some sort of ballistic recovery chute, since it obviously cannot autorotate in event of an engine failure.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Well, uh, you do the same thing you do in an airplane - land before you run out of gas.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Only if it has an ejection seat.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#26]
How far do you think one of those things will glide when the motor shits the bed?

No thanks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I wouldn't mind one of these.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Might as well go skydiving without a chute.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#30]
The airplain type I want... Ya know the hangglider type with an engine. If they run outa gas you can glide into a landing.

The other types I'd try out but wouldnt buy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The airplain type I want... Ya know the hangglider type with an engine. If they run outa gas you can glide into a landing.

The other types I'd try out but wouldnt buy.

I think you guys are way too hung up on "running out of gas".  I have been flying small airplanes for a number of years, and running out of gas doesn't just happen.  How many times do you run out of gas in your car?

Mechanical failure IS a concern, which is why I wouldn't fly one if it can't glide on wings,autorotate, or deploy a chute.  And I am one of those "crazy bastards" (as some people at the local airport put it) that flies single engine at night.  And I do it all the time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In addition to Part 103 machines, we now have what is called "Sport Pilot" designation.  2 seater aircraft such as a C152 qualify.  Your driver's license is your medical.

Anyway, I wouldn't fly the twin nacelle thing without some sort of ballistic recovery chute, since it obviously cannot autorotate in event of an engine failure.

Just an assumption on my part.  I figured that the government would knee-jerk as usual.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like fun.  I'd monunt a .50 on the roof!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Didn't the Mythbusters do a show on these things?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

C152 gross weight exceeds sport category.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#38]

This reminds me both of a scary vision of futuristic JBT's, and also the Flying Monkeys from The Wizard of Oz.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top