Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 7:53:46 PM EDT
Are the Iver Johnson M1 carbines any good?

I know they are commercial, but for $325 for a like new one in box can I upgrade it with usgi parts and get a good shooter?

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:26:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Some of the IJs were good, others had QC issues.  I had one in the 80s that had a soft bolt.  The locking lugs began to peen and it had to go back to the factory for a new bolt.  But for $325 I'd be tempted to get it for use as a shooter, and replace any bad parts with GI.  You'd still probably come out cheaper than a GI Carbine unless something was FUBAR with the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd have to agree with Dave. Besides, you can relax a little more knowing that you haven't taken a valuable collectors item out in the field. If you want to shoot it, I'd say go for the IJ.

I have one, and I like it. BTW, there is a rail available to replace the upper handguard. An Aimpoint might be fun to have on an M-1 carbine.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:40:24 AM EDT
[#3]
For that kind of money you can get a brand new SAR-1 AK.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd buy it. I had one. Ended up having to swap the trigger housing with a GI model to get to run right. After that it was a great gun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Got one.  I'd buy it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top