Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 4:46:49 PM EDT
How do I know what RAM to get for my computer? BestBuy has some on sale and I need to upgrade my machine, Windows XP east up alot of memory. I figured I'd ask ya'll before I trust a BestBuy moron
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What hardware are you running now? Motherboard mainly.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#2]
you want to match the memory to your system's front side bus speed. if you buy memory that can run faster than your system, you are wasting your money. if it runs slower then your system than it will drag everything down.

most likely you want PC2700, but not necessarily.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
We need at LEAST some bit of info about your computer to start man, comn.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How do I know what RAM to get for my computer? BestBuy has some on sale and I need to upgrade my machine, Windows XP east up alot of memory. I figured I'd ask ya'll before I trust a BestBuy moron

Go to http://www.crucial.com/ and you can find out which RAM is right for your computer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

uuuuhhh, Tacos??

I have no idea what hardware Ive got. Its a Gateway I purchased about 5 years ago, P4 1.8. Its only got 256RAM right now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#6]
you want the green ones with the black chips.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

uuuuhhh, Tacos??

I have no idea what hardware Ive got. Its a Gateway I purchased about 5 years ago, P4 1.8. Its only got 256RAM right now.

what model?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to crucial.com, they have a wizard where you tell it the make and model of your machine and they tell you what type of memory it uses.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

uuuuhhh, Tacos??

Is this a laptop?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

uuuuhhh, Tacos??

HAH, now that you made that comment only to give us some info that we asked for I'm going to laugh my ass off if you end up having Rombus DRAM.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#11]
actually, go here -> http://www.crucial.com/index.asp

and choose the make/model.

it will tell you what type of RAM you need.

eta: crap, i'm slow.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#12]
We need to know what model Gateway...... Even the thing on Crucial wont help you if you cant get that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

uuuuhhh, Tacos??

Probably RAmbus
I used to work for GW and I dont remember any 1.8's that used anything BUT Rimms. Could be wrong though.

Go to their webpge and put in your serial#, it will tell you exactly what your system came with. You can even look at the chips and motherboard, etc.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

uuuuhhh, Tacos??

what model?

Its a Performance 1800PC, I just ran that through the Crucial website and it told me that there was none availiable for my computer. What the hell does that mean??
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

uuuuhhh, Tacos??

what model?

Its a Performance 1800PC, I just ran that through the Crucial website and it told me that there was none availiable for my computer. What the hell does that mean??

That means you more then likely have RDRAM.

Probably one of the best examples of the market being in control of the prices/product and not the stupid companies.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#16]
RDRAm

Heres a site with some one it

dealram.com/prices/systems/34093/256MB.html
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#17]
So whats the deal with this RDRAM? Is it that the motherboard will not handle any other types?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Ya the Mboard is made for just that ram.

You can find RDRAM, it's just bloody expensive.

It's always a deal breaker that forces you to just buy a new computer or just accept your computer for what it is.

A re-install can do wonders to a system that is low on RAM.

If memory serves me correctly, there is even two different types of RDRAM so hopefully you won't run into that if you choose to purchase some RDRAM.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
you want to match the memory to your system's front side bus speed. if you buy memory that can run faster than your system, you are wasting your money. if it runs slower then your system than it will drag everything down.

You are not necessarily wasting your money by buying the faster memory because the price difference is usually small. Check newegg, the very first two are both 512MB yet the DDR400 is a dollar cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Ya the Mboard is made for just that ram.

You can find RDRAM, it's just bloody expensive.

It's always a deal breaker that forces you to just buy a new computer or just accept your computer for what it is.

A re-install can do wonders to a system that is low on RAM.

If memory serves me correctly, there is even two different types of RDRAM so hopefully you won't run into that if you choose to purchase some RDRAM.

+1

RDRAM systems are not worth upgrading.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#21]
This site can search via motherboard or manufacturer.  Best way to get the right memory.

Crucial Memory
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
This site can search via motherboard or manufacturer.  Best way to get the right memory.

Crucial Memory

HAHAH!!! He already said he tried that. And if you wuold look it doesnt list the memory he needs.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

uuuuhhh, Tacos??

Go to http://accessories.gateway.com/AccessoryStore/PC+Accessories_316441/Memory_316624/Default.htm
Look on the right hand side and you will see a banner that says "Find the right memory for your Gateway PC with our memory locator". Click on "Search Here".
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are not necessarily wasting your money by buying the faster memory because the price difference is usually small. Check newegg, the very first two are both 512MB yet the DDR400 is a dollar cheaper.

What's even cooler, if you know a thing or two about computers and you by newer value 400mhz memory but have to run it at 266 or 333 speeds, you can tighten down the RAM timings in the bios cause it will run at tighter and tighter timings the more you underclock it from it's "stock" values were and you can make up for some of that MHZ you lost.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Open computer take out old memory cards. Take to store ask for better ones. They will tell you what will work. Take any info you do know about your computer, amke, model, speed.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Open computer take out old memory cards. Take to store ask for better ones. They will tell you what will work. Take any info you do know about your computer, amke, model, speed.

10 bucks says no Brick and Motar store he goes to has Rambus memory
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Take out the cards and ask some geek, they will know.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#28]
If some of you would have read this, we have already found out what RAM he needs and told him....
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If some of you would have read this, we have already found out what RAM he needs and told him....

Touche.

Just make sure you wear a pair of socks and shuffle your feet on a carpeted floor before touching the motherboard. Let the static electricity zap extra power to the CPU.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Touche.

Just make sure you wear a pair of socks and shuffle your feet on a carpeted floor before touching the motherboard. Let the static electricity zap extra power to the CPU.

And put in the new RAm with the PC running.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I would google  to find the compatible memory for your computer then froogle that for the cheapest deal, my bet is that it wont be bestbuy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top