Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/17/2006 1:15:16 PM EDT
My BIL, Mr. Dumbass himself, flew into town to retrieve a car he left here when he moved to Kalifornicationstan, and he checked into a Motel 6. They took his DL, THEN RAN A BACKGROUND CHECK on him.

He had an outstanding traffic ticket.

He was arrested by the Aurora Police, and hauled to lockup, ordered to pay the ticket ($512) or he would be a guest of the city for a month.

Granted, he's a shitbird, but WTF would some hotel clerk be doing running your SSN through a criminal background check to see if they can rat you out to The Man?

No tip for the bellman, I suppose.

ETA: They had the unmitigated gall to charge him for the hotel room.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#1]
haven't you ever watched COPS? That's where they bust all them criminals at motels
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm surprised he was required to give his SS #

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Have him dispute the charge to his CC. And write a complaint letter.
There will be a response.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Dumbass BIL or not, the hotel has no right to RUN A BACKGROUND CHECK on you to see if you're fit to rent a room.

Tactical_Jew,
Yes I see that a lot too on Cops, but I don't think that they run background checks.  I think the problems start not because of background checks and then the cops get called.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#5]
That's some bullshit!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

yeah, you narced on your BIL didn't you?  Did you get a reward?   What gun did you buy with the reward money?  Or did you do it just because he's a doofus?

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I have cultivated most of the hotel clerks in my patrol area as informants.  its a mutaully benificial releationship.  they let me know when crooks are checking in and it keeps some of the riff raff away.  That said the clerks are not running background checks.  they just call me on my cell when someone that looks like they just paroled or is tweeking checks in, they give me their license plate number and ID information if they have it, and i take it from there.

I got a guy counterfieting $100 bills in his room this way a few weeks ago.

I think its more likely the hotel called the cops becuase your BIL seemed a little off, and the cops ran his name found the warrant then went and arrested him thatn the clerk ran a "background check."

BTW: I also cruise through the hotel parking lots when i have a chance and run as many plates as possible looking for warrants, probationers, parolees and stolen cars.  Those familiar with the tweeker/identity theft lifestyle know hotels/motels are among the best fishing holes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#10]
How do you know it was the hotel and nothing something else that triggered the arrest?  How about when he flew in and went through TSA?  They could have run a check and the motel was where they caught up with him.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#11]
WTF is this country coming to?
How the hell does a hotel have the right to pull a criminal history on someone?
There really is no privacy any longer.
This kind of thing makes me sick.
Got cameras on the traffic lights, cell phones with GPS that are capable of determining their position then reporting that position back...all from a prompt generated remotely, the banks have our life history in the click of a mouse, the credit agencies own our identity, and between onstar & EZpass, our movement can be tracked.

Orwell was off by 20 years
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Something is being left out of the story. Hotels can't run a NCIS check.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
WTF is this country coming to?
How the hell does a hotel have the right to pull a criminal history on someone?

I doubt they did.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Hey, in all cheerfulness, Larry, fuck you.

It's TRUE. I can probably get some kind of record of the arrest from the Aurora cops, in order to please the Sergeant Major of the Armchair Commando Brigade, LarryG. As a general rule, I don't lie about ANYTHING, and I don't appreciate anyone accusing me of such, especially when you don't know me from Adam.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Maybe the hotel is also a gun dealer?  

That's really scary.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How do you know it was the hotel and nothing something else that triggered the arrest?  How about when he flew in and went through TSA?  They could have run a check and the motel was where they caught up with him.

I'm just telling you what he told Mrs. samsong. I DOUBT that the TSA is doing anything like that; Mrs. samsong is a screener with that fine outfit and tells me that if OBL came through their checkpoint with a bomb and an AK, nobody'd know.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's TRUE. I can probably get some kind of record of the arrest from the Aurora cops, in order to please the Sergeant Major of the Armchair Commando Brigade, LarryG. As a general rule, I don't lie about ANYTHING, and I don't appreciate anyone accusing me of such, especially when you don't know me from Adam.

No offense, dude but after reading a post from a FOREMER LAW ENFORCMENT OFFICER stating that hotels cannot run a background check, it does seem a little fishy(the story).  Even if they did, it's wrong that they did.)
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have a feeling something like what AR15fan was saying was what actually occured. My BIL is a long-haired rock n' roll type from 1988 (he doesn't understand what "38 years old" looks like ), and has been hassled by coppers all his life. He doesn't take drugs and never has since he was 20, but he's still a burnout asshat.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think Larry was commenting on the presumption that it was the hotel than ran the background check.  It is possible though.  Hell the county I live in has a website that lets anyone run anyone for local in county warrants. WWW.ocsd.org Click on eServices on the left side of the screen then click Arrest Warrants in the drop down menu... Want to se something sad and funny at the same time.  Enter any male hispanic name you can think of in that search.

So its possible this county has a simular website. I'm unaware of any online tool for running statewide or nationwide warrants.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just telling you what he told Mrs. samsong. I DOUBT that the TSA is doing anything like that; Mrs. samsong is a screener with that fine outfit and tells me that of OBL came through their checkpoint with a bomb and an AK, nobody'd know.

The hole in this story is not that you are lying about it.
The hole in the story is that a motel clerk would in know fucking way have access to the NCIC system.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have cultivated most of the hotel clerks in my patrol area as informants.  its a mutaully benificial releationship.  they let me know when crooks are checking in and it keeps some of the riff raff away.  That said the clerks are not running background checks.  they just call me on my cell when someone that looks like they just paroled or is tweeking checks in, they give me their license plate number and ID information if they have it, and i take it from there.

I got a guy counterfieting $100 bills in his room this way a few weeks ago.

I think its more likely the hotel called the cops becuase your BIL seemed a little off, and the cops ran his name found the warrant then went and arrested him thatn the clerk ran a "background check."

BTW: I also cruise through the hotel parking lots when i have a chance and run as many plates as possible looking for warrants, probationers, parolees and stolen cars.  Those familiar with the tweeker/identity theft lifestyle know hotels/motels are among the best fishing holes.

This sounds more likely.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Someone fingered him pure and simple. Motels do not run NICS checks period.  Half their clientle would be arrested if they did and they would all go broke. Your BIL left some details out of the story.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Dumbass BIL or not, the hotel has no right to RUN A BACKGROUND CHECK on you to see if you're fit to rent a room.

Bullshit. Anyone can run one on anyone they want. There are online services that will do this for a small fee, too. Here's one. Suggest you don't keep spouting your mouth off about things you have no clue about. Par for the course, though, I suppose.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#24]
We run criminal checks on all our renters for real estate transactions.  I don't know why they couldn't do the same at a hotel, since you are renting a room at their business.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit. Anyone can run one on anyone they want. There are online services that will do this for a small fee, too. Suggest you don't keep spouting your mouth off about things you have no clue about. Par for the course, though, I suppose.

What people spouting out about stuff they have no clue about?  What would the internet be without posuers?    

I agree he is leaving details out of the story.

How is the Starbucks chick?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense, dude but after reading a post from a FOREMER LAW ENFORCMENT OFFICER stating that hotels cannot run a background check, it does seem a little fishy(the story).  Even if they did, it's wrong that they did.)

The story, as told, is fishy just based on the fact that hotels cannot run Criminal/NCIC checks. That said, the average laymen, who just got arrested immediately after checking into the hotel, might actually believe that the hotel ran a criminal background check. I have no reason to believe it didn't happen as samsong and his BIL 'believed' it did.

He probably got bagged because the clerk called his name in to the local PD because there was something about your BIL that aroused some sort of suspicion in the clerk. Or, if your BIL is a dirtbag (as you said), he may have been dumb enough to use a stolen CC card or something else just as stupid or illegal, which also would have set off the red flags to the clerk.....

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just telling you what he told Mrs. samsong. I DOUBT that the TSA is doing anything like that; Mrs. samsong is a screener with that fine outfit and tells me that of OBL came through their checkpoint with a bomb and an AK, nobody'd know.

The hole in this story is not that you are lying about it.
The hole in the story is that a motel clerk would in know fucking way have access to the NCIC system.

+1 on that.

For what cheap motels charge, the cost of running a background check on every person who rents a room would really cut into their profits.

Likely he got busted some other way.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The hole ion this story is not that you are lying about it.
The hole in the story is that a motel clerk would in now fucking way have access to the NCIC system.

Is it possible they can run you if you consent? He gave them his DL, and it had his SSN on it. Would that be consent...

I actually got a call from the wife in the middle of typing the last sentence. Mr. Dumbass was in the room, and the fuzz came by and told the clerk, "We're running all the names in your register." Then they hauled him and some other people away; so essentially it was exactly like what AR15fan was saying.
Isn't there some kind of right to privacy when you are paying to stay in someone's hotel? You'd think so, especially since the Supremes somehow think that the "Right to Privacy" which doesn't appear in the Constitution can be construed to giving you the right to murder an unborn child because he's an inconvenience.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Some how I imagine BIL did something stupid, caught the attention of the local Po Po and they busted him. He's trying to put the blame on the motel.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I actually got a call from the wife in the middle of typing the last sentence. Mr. Dumbass was in the room, and the fuzz came by and told the clerk, "We're running all the names in your register." Then they hauled him and some other people away...

Damn!

He must of checked into a hotel that is a "public nuisance" or something.  I have never asked the hotel desk for a name roster and most would refuse even if i did.  I wonder if that city has a municode or something that requires innkeepers to provicede that info on demand as a ternm of their business license?  Strange.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

How is the Starbucks chick?

Nice try.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The hole ion this story is not that you are lying about it.
The hole in the story is that a motel clerk would in now fucking way have access to the NCIC system.

Is it possible they can run you if you consent? He gave them his DL, and it had his SSN on it. Would that be consent...

I actually got a call from the wife in the middle of typing the last sentence. Mr. Dumbass was in the room, and the fuzz came by and told the clerk, "We're running all the names in your register." Then they hauled him and some other people away; so essentially it was exactly like what AR15fan was saying.
Isn't there some kind of right to privacy when you are paying to stay in someone's hotel? You'd think so, especially since the Supremes somehow think that the "Right to Privacy" which doesn't appear in the Constitution can be construed to giving you the right to murder an unborn child because he's an inconvenience.

I think short of a warrant or PC, they would be unable to just "run everybody in the register". Hell, I can't even get hotels to confirm or deny whether someone is staying there, even if their lives are in danger.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#33]
There's two scenarios here:

1)BIL checks in, hotel runs a background check, cops arrest BIL.  Hotels cannot do that, nor would that be legal to do.

2)Cops come by, saying "We're going to run people for wants and warrants." BIL comes back hot, goes to jail.  This seems more believeable.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit. Anyone can run one on anyone they want. There are online services that will do this for a small fee, too. Here's one. Suggest you don't keep spouting your mouth off about things you have no clue about. Par for the course, though, I suppose.

And this is LEGAL?  Only places that can run background checks on you are LEO's and employers IIRC, yes?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He may have been arrested, but it was not because of the hotel running a background check.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit. Anyone can run one on anyone they want. There are online services that will do this for a small fee, too. Suggest you don't keep spouting your mouth off about things you have no clue about. Par for the course, though, I suppose.

What people spouting out about stuff they have no clue about?  What would the internet be without posuers?    

Hell ARDOC, ARFCOM is built around armchair advice!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Your BIL probably had his plates/tags run. No cheap Paki hotel is going to cough up $10 for a cheap background check on a $50 room.

Dumb way to get busted, but it's not surprising since only the people dumb enough to get caught and convicted are criminals.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And this is LEGAL?  Only places that can run background checks on you are LEO's and employers IIRC, yes?

Thare are places online that advertise on the radio offering 'background checks' for a fee.

This story is unlikley because doing background checks on every person that rents a room would kill their profits.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I don't believe they do that for higher end hotels. Typically they just ask to SEE your license to see if it matches the CC you give them. They hand it right back. They do run the CC.

True, to see if you're not scamming them.

Also, car dealerships run your DL to see if it's valid before they let you test-drive.  (This I know from a Car and Driver article.)
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#40]
OK got another call - Mr. Dumbass had to shell out the dough to pay a fine for the Failure to Appear warrant (I think; I have NO EXPERTISE with things like this since I tend to obey the laws, even when they're stupid), and they want him to appear for the original traffic citation.

Mr. Dumbass' response?

He got his car, and is now trying to drive it back ('64 perfectly restored Beetle, over the Mountains, to boot!) to Kalifornicationstan, with no intention of appearing to answer the charge. Goddamn, he's stupid; he got a $1200+ ticket in Kali back in like 1992, which he never paid. He thinks there's a Statute of Limitations on that deal, while Mrs. samsong thinks that the state never forgets when you owe it $1200.

If he tries to get a DL there, they will surely nab his ass and stick him in prison. He's not a criminal type person (well, not to any great extent ) he just has a piss-weak moral compass. I can't imagine what he'd do.

I used to like him until I realized what a self-unaware dumbshit he is. Wife is nearly in tears every time she has to deal with him, 'cause it's like she's got a 38-year-old retarded child on her hands (other than her husband, that is )
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think Larry was commenting on the presumption that it was the hotel than ran the background check................

Exactly!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thare are places online that advertise on the radio offering 'background checks' for a fee.

This story is unlikley because doing background checks on every person that rents a room would kill their profits.

Yeah but my question is are these online background checks legal? No one is doubting the fact that the hotel would be having profit-killings because they would run background checks.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Your BIL probably had his plates/tags run. No cheap Paki hotel is going to cough up $10 for a cheap background check on a $50 room.

Dumb way to get busted, but it's not surprising since only the people dumb enough to get caught and convicted are criminals.

No, he flew in and took a cab or something to the hotel, and was borrowing wifey's car to pay off his Bug so he could drive it to Kali.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Warrants does not equal background check. A Criminal History check does have certain privacy rights attached to it. Even the cops need a reason to run a persons criminal history.  They do not need a reason to run for warrants or a local arrest record.
When I run a criminal history at work i must enter a case number for a crime i am investigating into a audit field so DOJ can verify why I eran that person criminal history.

It is illegal for me to run a gardeners criminal history before hiring him to do my landscaping. It is not illegal for me to run him for warrants.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think Larry was commenting on the presumption that it was the hotel than ran the background check................

Exactly!

Then I retract my snide remarks. Sorry, Larry.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I work in the hotel industry. I can't speak for other businesses, but I can assure you that we never hand over information to the cops unless someone acts very suspicious or does something illegal right in front of our face. We call them- they rarely call us. And when they do call us, it is to ask if a car of so-n-so color and so-n-so make has pulled up with a specific ethnicity and/or gender at the wheel. The story about the LEOs running background checks on everyone in the hotel is strange. We'd tell them to STFU and call our lawyer if they tried to do that.

Galland
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
snip

It is illegal for me to run a gardeners criminal history before hiring him to do my landscaping. It is not illegal for me to run him for warrants.

OK, but what about private individuals? In this case, it looks like the cops did it, so maybe they have some kind of crazy agreement or arrangement to do this?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah but my question is are these online background checks legal? No one is doubting the fact that the hotel would be having profit-killings because they would run background checks.  

criminal records are public matters.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I work in the hotel industry. I can't speak for other businesses, but I can assure you that we never hand over information to the cops unless someone acts very suspicious or does something illegal right in front of our face. The story about the LEOs running background checks on everyone in the hotel is strange. We'd tell them to STFU and call our lawyer if they tried to do that.

Galland

That's why I posted this - it seemed so strange. I know my BIL, he wasn't doing crank or anything in the room. He's just a dirtbag, a racist, and a long-hair, not a criminal to any great extent past being unable to keep his lead foot off the gas, and paying the man when he gets caught.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, Deej, it's legal. Criminal Histories are public records.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top