Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2001 9:25:01 PM EDT
I saw a movie advertised as a VCD (Video CD, correct?).  My DVD player is less than a year old (new production, and I think the manual mentioned VCD's somewhere).

If I want a movie to watch, not all the Extras that come with DVD's (I have only watched the extra features on one DVD), is there much practical difference in the movies?

Thanks!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The difference, in a nutshell is about 2.5 times the resolution, 28x the available storage, 10x the bitrate, MPEG2 (vs MPEG1), and 3.1 more channels of audio in favor of the DVD.

Go download an MPEG video off of the internet.  That's MPEG1.  Now imagine watching a whole movie that way.

VCD's were a neat when they first came out (about '91 on the phillips CDi game console) but have since become quite obsolete. If you like a crappy picture on your DVD player, by all means...
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Armitage,

Thanks for the info.  I guess the 45% savings on the VCD over the DVD is for a real reason--I was hoping it was just because there wasn't any of the extras.

Thanks!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 2:33:38 AM EDT
[#3]
DVD is high bitrate (~11mbps) MPEG2. VCD is MPEG1.

DVD resolution is 720x480. VCD is, at most, 480x480. (NTSC. PAL is x576)

DVD audio is Dolby Digital 5.1 and many other sound formats, such as DTS, SDDS, 2.1 stereo, etc. DVD can also have multilanguage audio and selectable subtitles. VCD is 2-channel MPEG layer 2.

DVD discs can hold MUCH more data than CDs. DVD can be up to 18GB, CDs are only 650-700MB.

VCDs are usually many discs in length. Rarely is a VCD movie ever on a single CD. If it is, it is probably a very short movie or very bad quality because of the amount of compression needed to fit a whole movie on a single CD. DVDs, however, are only one disc for the main feature.

The most important difference is the picture and sound quality. The difference is astounding. If you have any doubts, compare it for yourself.

Also, beware of bootlegs. There is no copy protection in the VCD format, so piracy is fairly common.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#4]
personly i like VCDs for anime its good and cheap and the quality isnt that bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top