Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 7:13:06 AM EDT
Utah residents, and honorary Utah residents, please call or email the state senators below in support of SB24.

From the NRA:

Utah, Your Right to Self-Defense Needs Your Help!

Please contact members of the State Senate Judiciary Committee immediately!

Senate Bill 24, sponsored by State Senator Mark Madsen (R-13), will allow law abiding citizens to have a loaded and/or concealed self-defense firearm in their car without the need to obtain a concealed weapon permit.  Additionally, under current law it is technically illegal for you to carry a concealed firearm in your home or on your property. SB 24 would clear up this unintended technicality.

When first heard on Wednesday, this bill was met with negative comments from five of the committee members.  They voted to give it further consideration in the Senate Judiciary Committee this Friday, February 17 at 4:00 p.m. in RM W130.

Time is of the essence and four of these five committee members, who are undecided, need to hear from gun-owners in the state of Utah!

Please contact the following members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and ask them to vote 'Yes' on SB 24 and send it to the Senate Floor.

Senator Al Mansell (R-9)
E-mail:  [email protected]

Senator Lyle Hillyard (R-25)

Senator Mike Dmitrich (D-27)

Senator Gregory Bell, Vice Chairman (R-22)

All members of the Senate can be reached by calling Capitol switchboard at (801) 538-1035.  The fax number for all Senators at the Capitol is (801) 326-1475

Before the shall issue CCW law, Utah used to allow CCW by anybody on their own property.  The CCW law changed that so that only those with a license could do so.  This bill reverses that.  It also allows everybody to CCW in their car.  As something like only 3% of the state is licensed to CCW, this bill will increase deterance against carjackers and home invaders.

Text of SB24.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Utah residents, and honorary Utah residents, please call or email the state senators below in support of SB24.

From the NRA:

Utah, Your Right to Self-Defense Needs Your Help!

Please contact members of the State Senate Judiciary Committee immediately!

Senate Bill 24, sponsored by State Senator Mark Madsen (R-13), will allow law abiding citizens to have a loaded and/or concealed self-defense firearm in their car without the need to obtain a concealed weapon permit.  Additionally, under current law it is technically illegal for you to carry a concealed firearm in your home or on your property. SB 24 would clear up this unintended technicality.

When first heard on Wednesday, this bill was met with negative comments from five of the committee members.  They voted to give it further consideration in the Senate Judiciary Committee this Friday, February 17 at 4:00 p.m. in RM W130.

Time is of the essence and four of these five committee members, who are undecided, need to hear from gun-owners in the state of Utah!

Please contact the following members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and ask them to vote 'Yes' on SB 24 and send it to the Senate Floor.

Senator Al Mansell (R-9)

Senator Lyle Hillyard (R-25)

Senator Mike Dmitrich (D-27)

Senator Gregory Bell, Vice Chairman (R-22)

All members of the Senate can be reached by calling Capitol switchboard at (801) 538-1035.  The fax number for all Senators at the Capitol is (801) 326-1475

Before the shall issue CCW law, Utah used to allow CCW by anybody on their own property.  The CCW law changed that so that only those with a license could do so.  This bill reverses that.  It also allows everybody to CCW in their car.  As something like only 3% of the state is licensed to CCW, this bill will increase deterance against carjackers and home invaders.

Text of SB24.

While I do support the right to carry I also think that the concealed carry classes do serve a valuable purpose.  If nothing else they point out the reality of using your gun, even in self-defense.  At least the classes here in Texas show just how screwed you are.  Simply allowing poeple to carry doesn't help them understand the responsibility and risks they take under the law.  Even flashing that weapon is a crime in most areas, yet most people would never realize that.

We need to be careful that these laws don't end up providing ammo to the grabbers to pass more restrictions later on.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I just had a good friend raped and murdered the night before last in clearfield, a law like this may have saved her.

it is reasons like that, that all states should have similar laws
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#3]
BTT.  They need to hear from us today.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#4]
DONE. Feel free to use this in your e-mails:

I am writing to ask you for your support for SB24.

Senate Bill 24, sponsored by State Senator Mark Madsen (R-13), will allow law abiding citizens to have a loaded and/or concealed self-defense firearm in their car without the need to obtain a concealed weapon permit. This will deter car-jackings and other crimes, both at home and while traveling, and show your support for our Second Amendment rights. Additionally, under current law it is technically illegal for you to carry a concealed firearm in your home or on your property. SB 24 would clear up this unintended technicality.

Please support SB24 by voting "Yes" and send it to the Senate floor.

Thank you for your support,

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#5]
BTT
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Which senator for nortwest Utah County?  Anybody know?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just had a good friend raped and murdered the night before last in clearfield, a law like this may have saved her.

it is reasons like that, that all states should have similar laws

I hadn't heard about this but just looked it up. My heart-felt sympathy to you and all those friends and family affected by your friend's murder. I pray for comfort to come to your hearts and that the perp is brought to swift justice with commensurate punishment.

My emails are going out right now!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top