Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 6:40:31 AM EDT
Special Forces Watch - feedback? Range Reports?

I saw this watch in an advertisement and I have been thinking about getting myself something a little nicer (since I just made it to 35 and can finally be President ) than I normally use for daily, every day use.  I thought this watch looked very nice.

I am not in SF nor do I pretend to be.

I do however spend a fair amount of time in harsh environments including sand, salt water, dirt grime etc etc and like things that are tough as hell when it comes to tools and toys....

Like I said I dont HAVE to have a "special forces" watch but I thought this thing might last a lifetime if it truly is bomb proof as the marketing implies.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#1]

This watch?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Chase Durer off EBay for quite a good price.

It's the UDT 1000 model.  I liked it because it was all black, made of steel and is water resistant to 1000ft {which means a swimming pool/jacuzzi should be no problem}, sapphire crystal, 27 jewel Swiss movement, and chrono....

The UDT 1000 has very small lettering that says Underwater Demolition Team.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:47:49 AM EDT
[#3]
i like the chase durer navy seal watch. it even has the budweiser right over where it says "made in china" stamp. can't get it wet though or the decal will slide right off...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
www.righttime.com/CHASE-DURER/SPECIAL_FORCES/245-4BB7-BR04.jpg
This watch?

that's the one - yeah....Trying to figure out if it's a gimic watch with the "SF" model or a bullet proof sum bitch....

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:49:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice watches.....I covet them on a daily basis.  Although, my all time want-to-have watch is the Breitling Emergency Mission.  My .02
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i like the chase durer navy seal watch. it even has the budweiser right over where it says "made in china" stamp. can't get it wet though or the decal will slide right off...

this is the feedback I thought I might get........shit
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:54:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I would take it with a grain of salt......
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:55:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Very nice watches.....I covet them on a daily basis.  Although, my all time want-to-have watch is the Breitling Emergency Mission.  My .02

thanks for the feedback - do you keep them in pretty good shape like take them off before a dip in the pool, or a hunting trip or bar brawl?  I'm trying to figure out of they are as tough as they sound.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I got one.
Air Force combat model, or something like that.
I have had it for almost 4 years, and it has had no problems.
Although, it is a very nice watch, so for work, I wear a Luminox divers watch.
I'm sure the Chase-Durer could handle it, it just looks so nice that I just don't want to beat it up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks for the feedback - do you keep them in pretty good shape like take them off before a dip in the pool, or a hunting trip or bar brawl?  I'm trying to figure out of they are as tough as they sound.

I'm certain they're as tough as they sound, but like TD308 said, they seem too nice to wear in a less than austere environment.....that's why I go with a Casio G-Shock for work.  Yes, I would consider this watch a "safe queen" for lack of a better term....simply too cool to beat the shit out of.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I have zero experience with them, other than looking at all of the cheesy advertisements in the back of SOF.

It was my understanding that they are at best $50 watches, with a gigantic markup so that people will get the impression that they are "special".

I'll stick with my $30 Timex Ironman, thanks.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this is the feedback I thought I might get........shit

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Someone who is really in SF would be more likely to wear a Casio G-Shok than one of these.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I have seen that watch in alot of magazine ads,
and I think it looks great.

Maybe they could make up a special batch of them labled
" Chairborne Ranger" for guys like us who are not in the
military.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got the Bomber Commander, and I love it.  Wear it on special occasions and nights out.
Wear a g-Shock every day though...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#16]
If you'd like a real, quality-built military timepiece, I would suggest a Marathon.

Like Luminox, the Chase-Durer is marketing hype IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had some of the CD watches, including the one you are discussing. They are OK in my book.
Nothing special. For about the same money you can get an O&W with a ETA 2824-2 automatic self-winding movement. Also, the Tritium painted markers on the C-D aren't as bright as the SuperLuminova markers on the O&Ws, either.

The best thing going on the CD watches are the looks. IMHO, functionally, as I saild earlier, they are OK".
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I have the Air Assault model. Very nice watch. Keeps great time. Very well made. I think mine is a little lighter weight that the one you are interested in.

I saw an article a few months back in a watch magazine where a guy had worn the watch you are interested in while climbing Mt. Everest. He had another watch on his other wrist and planned to give them to his two sons when they turned 18.

Like many of the posts say, it is a pretty nice watch to wear in salt, sand, shit, etc. I usually wear my Casio G-Shock on the weekends and my Timex Ironman if I am really doing something nasty, like washing the car, tilling in the dirt, cooking out, etc. YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top