Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2001 8:49:32 PM EDT
My wife & I are in Iowa visiting parents & brought a bunch of video we shot over the past year at home.  One tape was of us taking turns shooting our M16 & Mac10, along with a few semi-guns.  When it got to this part of the tape, you could see the grimace they were making!  They said "You own MACHINE GUNS?!!"  They showed their displeasure by making the excuse that the dog needed to go out....and they both took her outside!  Anyway, do any of you have extended family that are anti-gun?  We don't brag about our toys, the range session was just on the tape along with us moving into our new home (incidentally showing our "arms room" in the basement)  They are my parents & are wonderful people.  Just wondering what to do if the topic shows up again?
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I would try to explain to them that they are legally and responsibly owned and they are something you really enjoy. If they still feel that same way there is not much you can do. Some people are just hard-headed and short sighted.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Everyone that questions my right to own a gun are immediately confronted with...
an offer to go to the range and shoot any firearm I own.  After shooting they are soft clay to be molded into a true RKBA supporter.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My wife & I are in Iowa visiting parents & brought a bunch of video we shot over the past year at home.  One tape was of us taking turns shooting our M16 & Mac10, along with a few semi-guns.  When it got to this part of the tape, you could see the grimace they were making!  They said "You own MACHINE GUNS?!!"  They showed their displeasure by making the excuse that the dog needed to go out....and they both took her outside!  Anyway, do any of you have extended family that are anti-gun?  We don't brag about our toys, the range session was just on the tape along with us moving into our new home (incidentally showing our "arms room" in the basement)  They are my parents & are wonderful people.  Just wondering what to do if the topic shows up again?
View Quote

Both of my Sisters and my Mother think All Guns should be banned. They are also hard core liberals.

Funny thing though...my youngest sister..(the most hard core liberal..) LOVES to shoot handguns..

So now she thinks only "certain" classes of people should be "allowed" to own firearms...

(of course blue collar and working class familys are NOT in her category of priveledged people.. neither are minorities..).

If they are "anti-gun" take them shooting several times...it will make them a little more moderate and less facist.

Link Posted: 8/11/2001 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
 They are my parents & are wonderful people.  
View Quote

They're [b]your[/b] parents and you didn't know how they'd react to seeing you and your wife shooting automatic weapons?

Why on earth would you show someone a video that contains a somewhat controversial subject when you didn't know what their response would be?

I'm not saying that you should be ashamed of your hobby and beliefs, but geez, talk about "trial by fire".
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank goodness that my in-laws are pretty naive when it comes to things like this, and thank goodness that I got to them first.  They live in a Southern California dream state, (no, the state of Ca is not a dream, it's their mental state!) and don't "get" the strrife over it.  Guns just aren't a topic at all (kinda sad...that means that guns have been removed from the public so much that they don't even think abotu it).  Luckily, they came out to God's Country (Colorado) and my wife and I taught them to shoot and they have a great time.  We even got them to vote this past election because we were so scared that Gore would get in...otherwise they wouldn't have voted at all.  They only voted because we begged them to, and we told them who to vote for.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Whether it applies here, I don't know, but many people seem to equate guns with hunting without being cognizant of the stereotype.

I have found that many will take an interest when the subject can be maneuvered to the skill side and how it can be enjoyed by all, young, old, big or small, and even a lot of handicapped persons unable to participate in a lot of other sports.

The other method I have found is to start them out on milk jugs full of water instead of just paper.  The visual reinforcement seems to make a lot of difference and many times they'll crack that forbidden smile of accomplishment.
This is especially true of the little ones.  Setting them behind a 223 with bench rest or other good support and helping them hold and sight then having them look thru scope and pull trigger to blow up a jug imprints a lot more on the desire and memory than paper.

Not only do they lack the attention span and physical dexterity needed, they become quickly discouraged when the older ones are jumping up and down about hitting the black and the little guys can't even hit the paper.

So far as parents, that is one that is often best viewed as rained out because they usually still have that control problem, and you're still their kid regardless of what subject.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#8]
We are all assuming that you are the wife are acting responibly on the tape and aren't shooting baby ducks or something.
Bascially you have two choses. Since they do not live in the same state and really do not give you are hard time over it you can simply write it off as something that you and they disagree on and move on. Very few people completely agree with their parents on all issues. Granted this is an important issue in our country and in you and your wifes lives. (If y'all have class III's you are serious into shooting. You're a lucky man to have such a wife. A tip of my hat to you and her.)
Your second choice would be to attempt to convert them to your way of thinking. As others have said this takes times and is best done over time and not over night. I would begin by asking them [i]what[/i] it is about guns that they do not like. Chances are they do not like them due to believing the propaganda that everyone else hears. Use the same reason and logic that you would with anyone else. I've foud with all but the most ardent anti's that once they begin to hear facts they will start to understand.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My wife & I are in Iowa visiting parents & brought a bunch of video we shot over the past year at home.  One tape was of us taking turns shooting our M16 & Mac10, along with a few semi-guns.  When it got to this part of the tape, you could see the grimace they were making!  They said "You own MACHINE GUNS?!!"
View Quote

The fact is your folks are going to have to accept it, whether they like it or not. Your're over 21 and a responsible fellow.
Do your folks visit you every once in awhile at your place?  Invite them shooting with your M16, but only give them a something like 2-3 rounds, at least in the beginning; I don't think you would want a novice shooter losing control of your machine gun. My nickel's worth.
Do it for the children!
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah,take them to a range.Thats what happened to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top