Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 10:01:51 PM EDT
I love to top my pizza and sandwich's with peppers usually Pepperincini's or Banana peppers in some type of brine...what are my other options that arent smoking hot...something thats packed in liquid...brand name or pepper types are great.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn I was going to say Serranos, but usually they are found fresh. (At least around here.)  

Look for canned Anaheim chiles, normally found canned by Ortega, others maybe  found where you are.  those are the ones found on Carls Jrs Southwest Sandwiches.  Maybe on the Hardees sandwiches.  Not too spicy and usually nice flavor too.  Anchos or Poblanos are good if you can find them

As a rule of thumb, the larger they get the milder they get.  HOWEVER that's not to say you don't find the occasional Ancho or Anaheim that blows your eyes out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:36:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, Poblanos are excellent.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:56:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Get some corn flakes-the brand doesn't matter.

Put them on a plate, single layer, and spray them with Pam
or other cooking spray.
Sprinkle cayenne (red) pepper on them.
Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.

Instead of staying crisp, they get soft and can be used exactly like
fresh peppers on your pizza. You can experiment, but cayenne reacts                                                      well with the corn flakes to give a "fresh from the garden"
flavor.  If you are really picky, you can color the corn flakes first with
food coloring.

You are welcome.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:11:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

or other cooking spray.

fresh peppers on your pizza. You can experiment, but cayenne reacts                                                      well with the corn flakes to give a "fresh from the garden"
food coloring.

You are welcome.  

WTF?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:16:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I love to top my pizza and sandwich's with peppers usually Pepperincini's or Banana peppers in some type of brine...what are my other options that arent smoking hot...something thats packed in liquid...brand name or pepper types are great.

Try some Mancini cherry peppers.  They have some pretty good red jalapenos too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:18:20 AM EDT
[#6]
You are going to have to come up with a rating scale for this question.  Most folks around here consider jalapenos to be mild.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

or other cooking spray.

food coloring.

You are welcome.  

STRANGE FOR SURE!!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I was going to throw in serranos as well but I think what he considers mild is considerably weaker.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#10]
don't be a pussy....

habaneros all the way!!

go big or go home
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
don't be a pussy....

habaneros all the way!!

go big or go home

+1
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#13]
See if you can find some New Mexican Green Chile. They are great on pizza and burgers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Habaneros taste like shit if you aren't adjusted to the acidic content. When you get a resistance to it, I assure you Habaneros taste excellent.

By the way, if you want to try the hottest pepper in the world, it's now a side breed of Habanero called Carribean Red. Again, they'll burn the average Joe's ass off, but they taste excellent when you get over the spice. I started off eating a quarter of a Habanero over one meal. Now I eat at least one Carribean Red for every helping.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Go to the grocery store and buy yourself some "cowhorn" peppers. It's a type of red pepper that's a little on the warm side without being to hot to eat. They also taste pretty good too and they go GREAT on pizzas. I grew some in my garden last summer and, during growing season, they have a deep, dark, green appearence but when they mature they will turn cherry red in color. They average between 4 to 8" long when mature. Again, they're a little warm but they won't turn your mouth into a 3 alarm fire. Along with their warmth they are also fairly sweet, as well. I would compare their "sweetness" to what you might taste in a green bell pepper. As far as their "hotness" is concerned I would liken cowhorns to be slightly less hot than a typical jalepeno.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Scotch bonnets.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#17]
thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top