Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 7:23:27 PM EDT
MY dog always has to put its paw on you or sit leaning against somoene. She will put her paw on my knee while I sit here and sit by me until I move.

Someone said it was common with them and they are touch feely dogs. My Pit never did that. Is t really a Rott thing?

BTW my dog is actually 1/2 Rott 1/2 Golden Retriever. Picture a Rott that needs a haircut once in a while.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it is a dog thing.  One of our 2 daushounds (the smaller one) will sit next to me and put his paw on my foot.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#2]
He just loves you.

BTW We want pix!

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#3]
My Rottie has to be close all the time.  He's a big wuss.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
MY dog always has to put its paw on you or sit leaning against somoene. She will put her paw on my knee while I sit here and sit by me until I move.

Someone said it was common with them and they are touch feely dogs. My Pit never did that. Is t really a Rott thing?

BTW my dog is actually 1/2 Rott 1/2 Golden Retriever. Picture a Rott that needs a haircut once in a while.

Heard the same, experienced the same.  She also thought she was a lap dog (didn't matter to her that she weighed about 110lbs )

Also, always hung out with you.  You moved, she moved, etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He just loves you.

BTW We want pix!

Here she is as part of my home defence system.

Sleeping on the job.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Guy at my club used to have this big moose of a rotti (160 lbs+) who would slide up alongside when you were talking to someone.As you patted his head he would pin your foot to the ground by standing on it and then he would start leaning on you. We have a bunch of older members and he would take a guy down from time to time.Dangerous to stand alongside but a heck of a sweet dog.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Saw The Dog Whisperer talking about exactly that thing, the dog is actually claiming possession of you, the dog thinks he's #1 and you are...#2!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Saw The Dog Whisperer talking about exactly that thing, the dog is actually claiming possession of you, the dog thinks he's #1 and you are...#2!

I dont know about that, she knows her place in the "pack" and she knows its at the bottom. She is extremely affectionate. She has to touch. If she isnt touching you with her paw, she will sit on your foot or rub her head against your leg. She loved to get hugs and hug people. She basically thinks she is a lapdog.

She is also extremey protective. If I say "go find the boys" she will search and search until she finds out where they are then she stays right with them util I get there. I also made sure all my children were part of raising her and training her in obedience. Even my youngest can command her.

Here she is sitting on the foot of my older son. (who will be shooting his first firearm ver soon, AR of course)

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Mine likes to sleep with his head on your foot. I think its because if you get up to move he wants to know why.When we go to bed he sleeps in the kids room.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Rotties are leaners
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine likes to sleep with his head on your foot. I think its because if you get up to move he wants to know why.When we go to bed he sleeps in the kids room.

Mine follows me everywhere. She also does her rounds and checks in on all the kids. I cannot get over how affectionate and protective they are. When anyone in the family goes out the front door she sticks her head out and gives a few loud throaty barks. I am guessing its to scare off anyone who may think of harming them. I really dont know why but she always does it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#12]
My female Rott (Cassidy) is a very people oriented dog. She does not like to be alone.

She will step on my foot and lean up against my leg if I'm standing and petting her. If I don't pet her she want's to tunnel through my legs. Watch out for that as she'll "root" sometimes on her way through my legs. If I'm sitting on the floor with her she wants to hide her face between my legs and in my crotch. She'll hide her snout in my armpit for an entire movie if I lay on the floor while watching TV. I honestly don't know how she can breathe.

I think that it's a Rottie thing.

She loves to go for rides in my truck, and will look at my like I'm the worst person on earth every single time I don't take her. She's mastered the big brown eye feel sorry for me look.

Cassidy loves her bed(s) too. We keep the newest one in the family room where she mostly sleeps. We put the older rattier looking bed in the computer room. She rarely sleeps completely off one of her beds, but she will sleep in the wildest positions sometimes. She's sleeping now in here with me and has her paw completely covering her snout. I swear the dog can breathe through her ears......

Best dog I've ever had.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw an ad for some movie on a killer robotics type rott. I bet there will be a surge of dip****s who will buy rotts. based on the movie too bad they're really nice dogs.  I've got 2 great danes and one likes to sit on your lap (he's 190#s so you don't let him sit long) the other one likes to lean on you.  Niether of them step on you feet except by accident and it hurts like hell.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Most Rott's I have met think they are lap dogs...  

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Jbays/chillin676x507.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Jbays/sup800x600.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Jbays/lighteddexter800x600.jpg

AWEWSOME PICS. Love the second one. That is the look mine gives me when we eat dinner. She get no people food and she does not beg. She is allowed to lay by our feet because she cannot stand not being near us at all times, but she lays there until we are done. Sometimes she makes huge sighs while we eat.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Heh - I knew a half rot/half lab that would do this.

If you were petting her, stopped, and put your hand 1 inch away, she would move her head back into your hand.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Rotties are leaners

+1

shameless excuse to post more Dexter pics...

what happens when you roll in dead stuff

attacking the neighbor...

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep, thats exactly how our Rot is. Always wanting to lay next to you, if not on top of you, all the time. Seems to like to sit on you feet at the edge of couch.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
AWEWSOME PICS. Love the second one. That is the look mine gives me when we eat dinner. She get no people food and she does not beg. She is allowed to lay by our feet because she cannot stand not being near us at all times, but she lays there until we are done. Sometimes she makes huge sighs while we eat.

Kinda like this?

For christmas he got a turkey leg just the meat, not the bone...

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Heres my Rott - Rommel at 2, 3 years ago

Playing with his toys

And Enzo - Rottie Blue Tick Hound mix - not to be outdone by his brother, stuffing all the toys;

And then theres Allie - the stray, we decided to keep

Absolutely love these dogs, but once we brought the stray female into the house, sweet Moses - talk about some fights!  All's well now, keep the two males separated, so only one at a time with the female.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My in law has a Rott that does the same thing and her previous Rott did it too. All 130 lbs of him will come and sit on my feet and lean on me. He does it to everybody. My Golden Retriever gets touchy feely too, but only when he is tired.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone give their Rott pig ears for a treat? I was going to but my fiances sister said her Rott went sort of primitive when he latched onto it. Made  weird growling noises and didnt want to give it up. When she got it back she threw it away and he was cool after that.

My dog has killed 1 cat , 3 possums, and 1 dove so far but even while she was killing the last possum, she never snapped or snarled at me or my youngest son as we tried to get her off of it. As soon as my son touched her she stopped while i grabbed the possum by the tail so I can throw it over the fence. She  turned and licked his hand real quick then went back to staring at the possum and wagging her tail as if I was going to  give it to her as a nice treat.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#24]
In my expierence Rots are very people friendly dogs.

Hell mine will even sleep next to a cat.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Anyone give their Rott pig ears for a treat? I was going to but my fiances sister said her Rott went sort of primitive when he latched onto it. Made  weird growling noises and didnt want to give it up. When she got it back she threw it away and he was cool after that.

My dog has killed 1 cat , 3 possums, and 1 dove so far but even while she was killing the last possum, she never snapped or snarled at me or my youngest son as we tried to get her off of it. As soon as my son touched her she stopped while i grabbed the possum by the tail so I can throw it over the fence. She  turned and licked his hand real quick then went back to staring at the possum and wagging her tail as if I was going to  give it to her as a nice treat.

Don't know if it's in your case, but Rotts make grubble noises, similiar to growling when they are content. When my in law had her first Rott, I was petting him and he started making growling sounds, I almost pissed myself. I called the in law over REAL quick and she told me it meant he was happy and content. The more I pet him the louder he got.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#26]
my dog (german shepherd/yellow lab mix) does that.  usually she'll only do it if she's in the mood for getting petted (24/7) and i stop.  as soon as i stop she puts her paw up on me.

she leans up on me a lot too.  i dont think its just a rot thing, but it could be more prevalent in certain species.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#27]
starting to realize that when I have a kid, I will need to buy a new computer.  This one is full of pictures of my dog...

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Jbays/chillin676x507.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Jbays/sup800x600.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Jbays/lighteddexter800x600.jpg

That's funny. I have a lap dog that thinks she's a Rotty!

She's hell on all the skate punks on the street
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
In my expierence Rots are very people friendly dogs.

Hell mine will even sleep next to a cat.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/2005_1013Glock0072.jpg

We have 2 kittens we found in a alley who like to knead on the dog like he was a mom. He accepts it. He also likes to jump of the back porch and kill birds go figure.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#31]
^
l
l
l

sharp looking dog!

Quoted:
Heres my Rott - Rommel at 2, 3 years ago
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=45091

Playing with his toys
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=45093
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=45092

And Enzo - Rottie Blue Tick Hound mix - not to be outdone by his brother, stuffing all the toys;
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=45094

And then theres Allie - the stray, we decided to keep
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=21115

Absolutely love these dogs, but once we brought the stray female into the house, sweet Moses - talk about some fights!  All's well now, keep the two males separated, so only one at a time with the female.

glad to see that Dexter isn't the only Rott that loves stuffed animals.

EPOCH
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Epoch, I'm looking for a specific pic of Rommel, like your pup there in your Avatar image.

Called out to the wife when you posted the pic - holy Sh%t looks just like Rom!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
My female Rott (Cassidy) is a very people oriented dog. She does not like to be alone.

She will step on my foot and lean up against my leg if I'm standing and petting her. If I don't pet her she want's to tunnel through my legs. Watch out for that as she'll "root" sometimes on her way through my legs. If I'm sitting on the floor with her she wants to hide her face between my legs and in my crotch. She'll hide her snout in my armpit for an entire movie if I lay on the floor while watching TV. I honestly don't know how she can breathe.

I think that it's a Rottie thing.

YES IT IS!

My female Rott... (whos name is Wrought..as in Iron) loves to come up while you are sitting and lay her head in your lap...sometimes burrows into your crotch, or knees, or side...whatever.  She's a very attentive dog. If we are all in the living room, she lays on the floor. When we get up to go into another room...we have to tell her to stay in the living room...unless my daughter is going to bed then she'll go with her as they sleep in the same room.

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:41:59 AM EDT
[#34]
My Rotty doesn't have to be next to me.....but she does have to be in the same room, usually within a few feet and if I move, she moves.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#35]
likes tapping too, but is photo shy:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top