Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2006 5:54:30 PM EDT
My mom wants a new mid-size car.  She has an Accord right now and it is the right size.  It has been a good car.  Reliability is paramount.  The last thing I want to do is have her blame me for getting her to buy a junker.  Should I advise her to go with Honda or Toyota?  I do not know much about cars, but it is my understanding that those are the most reliable makes.  I have a Chevy and a Ford truck myself and they have been good, but like I said I don't want to risk her getting a lemon.  I'd never hear the end of it.

Anyway, is the Accord or Camry the best quality mid-sized cars?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably the Accord.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Way to support asia.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Our Camry runs like a champ  -VERY  reliable.

And....

My wife just got rear ended the other day.

Ther Mercedes that hit her was smashed up bad. You almost have to look to see any damage to the Camrys rear bumper.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Way to support asia.

Dude....hope on the clue train.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#5]
i have a monte carlo and am very happy with it. it's on 02 with 92k miles on it (the previous owner drove the shit out of it)

car has never so much as farted at me, and same story for the previous owner.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Way to support asia.

or american workers who make most of the 'asian' cars today.

Rather support them than bloated unions who donate millions of dollars to democrats who want to take away the 2nd amendment.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
The quality of Honda's and Toyota's while still top of the pile, has declined somewhat in the past few years.  If I remember correctly, some camrys have front brake/alignment problems, as well as rattles and seqeaks.

Take a look here.  Like any self reported site, take it with a grain of salt.  However, it is good for getting a feel...

www.carsurvey.org
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Way to support asia.

Rather support them than bloated unions who donate millions of dollars to democrats who want to take away the 2nd amendment.

I think what  you are trying to say is that Asia employes american worker so americans can think  they are supporting america.  I wonder where the profits are  going.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Way to support asia.

I think what  you are trying to say is that Asia employes american worker so americans can think  they are supporting america.  I wonder where the profits are  going.

Actually, what he's saying is....

American workers make Hondas and Toyotas, taking home paychecks to American homes, with Honda and Toyota building huge factories in America that pay huge amounts of property taxes to American counties, and huge tax dollars to the Federal gov't (which last I checked is American.) The presence of these car companies  raises the standard of living of American communities, Honda and Toyota  making significant charitable contributions to American charities.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#10]

car has never so much as farted at me, and same story for the previous owner.

I should hope not.  Why would you buy a car from someone that farted at you?

Oh.     Anyway, get a minivan, you know you want one.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Way to support asia.

Actually, what he's saying is....

American workers make Hondas and Toyotas, taking home paychecks to American homes, with Honda and Toyota building huge factories in America that pay huge amounts of property taxes to American counties, and huge tax dollars to the Federal gov't (which last I checked is American.) The presence of these car companies  raises the standard of living of American communities, Honda and Toyota  making significant charitable contributions to American charities.

Like I said, I wonder where the profits are going.  Wow, they hire a bunch of hourly workers so they say they are built in america.  I understand that everyone who works for these companies gets a paycheck, but I think most people don't exactly understand that in business there is something called a bottom line.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Back on track with this thread.

I don't think you can go wrong quality-wise with either the Accord or the Camry. About 2 years ago my mom was also looking for the same kind of reliable, good-quality car. We narrowed it down to these two models.

The Accord had 50 more horsepower at the time (240 vs. 190), but we chose the Camry. I really did not like the fact that you could not see the end of the hood on the Accord due to the slope, so stopping soon enough might be an issue. I also did not like the control knobs for the radio and such on the Accord.

The Camry seemed smoother on takeoff. My mom has had great success with the Camry, which was made in Georgetown, KY, and has had no warranty problems at all so far. Just change the oil, rotate the tires and put gas in it.

You might also take a look at the VW Passat. It has recently been redone and is a beautiful car. For a little more money, you can step up to an Infinity, Lexis or Acura. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You might also take a look at the VW Passat.

Danger, Danger, Danger!!!

Do not buy a VW, that is all...  They are among the least reliable cars made.  Good looking, and decent handling? Yes!  But also unnecessarily complicated, and poorly made of cheap bosch components.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Way to support asia.

Both the Accord and the Camry are made in America by American workers.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the new Ford Fusion.

Ford Fusion
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

And....

Ther Mercedes that hit her was smashed up bad. You almost have to look to see any damage to the Camrys rear bumper.

I'm always bothered when Ppeople talk about a wreck and make fun of cars that crumple on impact. The car is doing what it's supposed to do - dissipating energy so you don't die. The only part that shouldn't collapse is the passenger compartment.

Go with an Accord or Civic sedan, but don't expect Honda service departments to be any better than a Ford dealer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#17]
In 03 I shopped a number of cars, including both the Camry and Accord. I ended up with the Accord. A little less portly and a little zippier. Plus, the 6 speed tranny is smooth as silk. I can't speak for the automatics. I know that there were a number of complaints from owners of early 7 gen Accords re the auto tranny. I note for the record that the 4 door 6cyl Accord is now available with the 6 speed. You might pop on over to www.v6performance.net

mine: shameless plug
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I like the new Ford Fusion.

Ford Fusion

+1

If it's reliable Ford's got a real winner with this car.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#19]
There is a reason why every major car company in the world has attempted to emulate the Toyota Production System, most with only limited success.

Get the Camry.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#20]
My choice: Acura TL

Luxury and quality with balls (258hp 3.2L VTEC-just-kicked-in, yo)
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I just picked up a 1995 Toyota Corolla (compact, I know) with 103k miles and 5spd manual trans.  Several squeaks and rattles, but runs like a champ!  

I had a Honda Accord in the past.  Bought it with 130k and drove it to 245k, changed a timing belt (with water pump at same time).  No issues otherwise.

As far as Honda or Toyota, I would give a slight edge to Toyota.

Edit:  Actually, I would give a bigger edge to Toyota.  All the Hondas I have had used timing belts (a maintenance item) whereas the Toyota (including my Corolla) use timing chains (not a maintenance item)
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not disagreeing with you guys on the Camry or Accord but it sure is sad that we're all here recommending a foreign car  - and I fully understand that most of them are built here, but . . .

Damn shame that we can't jump right in and say "Go buy that Ford or Chevy!  It's a great car!"

Hello UAW?   Are you listening? . . .

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Way to support asia.

I'm open to suggestions that include US cars.   But her last two vehicles were a Tempo and a Cherokee.  The Tempo was of course notorious, and the Cherokee had an electrical fire and spontaneously combusted.  I buy American, but she is on a fixed income and has a lot less room for error than I do.  This will probably be her last car.

Aren't the Camry and Accord assembled in the US anyway?  A lot of "American" cars are made in Canada.  I'd much rather support Japan than Canada.  But this car is not for me, it is for her.  She could give a rat's ass where it is made, and I am not going to impose my preferences on her.  The only critereon is reliability.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

And....

+1

camry is a great car at a good price

My tacoma is sweet too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My choice: Acura TL

Luxury and quality with balls (258hp 3.2L VTEC-just-kicked-in, yo)

God those cars are sexy
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Way to support asia.

By employing Americans who build super reliable cars?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#28]
+1 on Camry
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Camry
Accord
Chevy Malibu
Hyundai Sonata
Acura TL(yeah Cynic I like it too)
the next too might be out of a price range but:
Infiniti G35
Volvo S60.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Deej86 funny you should mention the Hyundai Sonata, I laugh at my brother when he bought his. 300,000 mile later with no trouble, his is laughing now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Deej86 funny you should mention the Hyundai Sonata, I laugh at my brother when he bought his. 300,000 mile later with no trouble, his is laughing now.

Well they really redid the new one and a lot of the car mags like it, only reason I mention it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:51:46 AM EDT
[#32]
My neighbor bought a Honda Accord from a traveling salemman with 150,000 miles on it, she put on another 100,000 miles for a total of 250,000 miles and sold it for what she paid for it.  Didn't leak a drop of oil.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I've always laughed at Hyundai's "disposable cars" too.  

But they are making strides in quality.  As a company they are hungry, and as a result the consumer wins.  Their warranty seems kick-ass too.

It doesn't hurt that they are still priced like a downmarket brand due to consumer perception.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Whats wrong with her current accord?

Camry and Accord are both excelent cars. Accord has a sporitier image.  Camry has a full sized Spare tire.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Sooo......imposter -

Made a decision yet?

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Not sure I'd call the Accord a mid-size.  I was thinking about the size of a Chevy Impala.  A Caprice would be full size, and something like an Accord, Chevy Malibu, or Pontiac G6 I think of as mid-compact.

Anyway, the Camry is supposed to be good, as is the other Toyota that is slighly smaller.  The Ford offering in that size (I don't know what it's called) is supposed to be good too.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Pete, funny you mention the G6.  I really like it(never driven it)but I sat in one and was impressed by the legroom and the quality in there.

I'd add that to the list.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Pete, funny you mention the G6.  I really like it(never driven it)but I sat in one and was impressed by the legroom and the quality in there.

I'd add that to the list.  

My wife has one, and it has been a decent car.  HOWEVER, it transmits more road and engine noise than I'd like.  They have had some problems with the new electric power steering, my wife's cars is one of them.  In fact, GM gave her a rental (an Impala) while they were fixing it and that comparison led me to my slight dislike of the road noise issue.

The seats are VERY comfortable, and the car is quick enough for me.

I would buy it again.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Way to support asia.

Not to mention how Toyota and Honda open plants in America rather than some domestic manufacturers who say go to Mexico to manufacture American cars.

ETA: If you want to further the Toyota Honda debate....as mentioned a few threads up Hyundai is making some great strides in quality, and reliability, and a warranty that every other car manufacturere is trying to emulate.  In fact, the new Hyndai Sonata has more standard features such as side impact airbags  and other amenities that you would have to pay more ala carte or a higher trim level package in the Accord and Camry.  I'm sure if you've seen the huge commercial Hyundai launced months ago mentioning theim opening a plant in Alabama.

Alabama Hyundai!

Also mentioned earlier,  Alot of these foreign companies are paying well for Americans to have jobs.  As opposed to U.S. companies sending the jobs overseas.  What's wrong with that?  Take off your tin foil hat if you think this is some sort of subversive secret take over of America......
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#40]
You really can't go wrong with the usual suspects.

Camry - New for 07 now with 268 hp. Good deals on 06s.
Accord- New rear, same winning formula.

My picks?

Mazda 6/Ford Fusion - Essentially the same car. A bit more athletic than the Accord or Camry.
Subaru Legacy - Reliable, all-wheel drive and available turbo=FAST.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#41]

She has an Accord right now...

I agree with your decision to get rid of it as soon as you can.  Too many coworkers have Honda's, especially the wives.  Those guys waste a tremendous amount of money and hassle keeping those piece of junks running.  I've never had to drop someone off or pick someone up from the Toyota dealership, but three or four dozen times a year I have to go to the Honda dealership to pick-up or drop-off an employee who had to take their piece of crap in for service.  One of my employees spent over $20k on his last Civic to keep it running and to replace rusted body panels (on a three year-old car!), and the idiot bought a new Civic about six months ago.  The new one has spent more time at the dealer than in his driveway.  I always arrange rides for employees or their family members whenever they need it like when a child is sick or their car isn't running, but I'm going to have to start making exceptions for the Hondas.  It's just costing me too much time.  Get the Camry.z
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

She has an Accord right now...

I agree with your decision to get rid of it as soon as you can.  Too many coworkers have Honda's, especially the wives.  Those guys waste a tremendous amount of money and hassle keeping those piece of junks running.  I've never had to drop someone off or pick someone up from the Toyota dealership, but three or four dozen times a year I have to go to the Honda dealership to pick-up or drop-off an employee who had to take their piece of crap in for service.  One of my employees spent over $20k on his last Civic to keep it running and to replace rusted body panels (on a three year-old car!), and the idiot bought a new Civic about six months ago.  The new one has spent more time at the dealer than in his driveway.  I always arrange rides for employees or their family members whenever they need it like when a child is sick or their car isn't running, but I'm going to have to start making exceptions for the Hondas.  It's just costing me too much time.  Get the Camry.z

WTF?

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#43]
You ought to check out the Nissan Altima. My wife recetnly got a 2006 model with a 4 cylinder and this thing has a lot of pep and get great mileage. She had looked at the Accord, but liked the Altima better in the end.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
The quality of Honda's and Toyota's while still top of the pile, has declined somewhat in the past few years.  If I remember correctly, some camrys have front brake/alignment problems, as well as rattles and seqeaks.

Correct, ever since they started being made here.
There is still a difference between an American made Japanese car and one still made in Japan.
80% or so of the NVH issues I see are on the American made Toyotas compared to the Jap made ones.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Correct, ever since they started being made here.
There is still a difference between an American made Japanese car and one still made in Japan.

Which is why I usually recommend the Lexus ES300 rather than the Camry so you'll know you'll get one made in Japan.  With the much higher resale of the Lexus, it will not cost much more money for a much nicer car.z
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Toyota and Honda are safe bets, as always.  Definitely look at late model GM W-bodies also (Impala, Monte, Grand Prix).  The plant that makes them has been winning quality control awards all over the place, and it definitely shows in the cars.  I used to work at a GM dealer, and didn't see those in the service department too often.  The new Malibu (not Classic) and G6 are very impressive also.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#47]
I am WAY happy with my '01 Ford Escape. Mine's a 4x4... nimble as a billygoat... VERY reliable. 21 mpg on the freeway (keep the speed below 65) so that is a bit heavy, still... I'm very satisfied.

BTW: for those who rant on foreign vs. "American' cars: NO American car is 100% American anymore! Engines, etc built overseas... Same with foreign cars: lots of American components. I AGREE: we should keep jobs in America... but as things stand, it ain't gonna happen.

I DO like the idea of buying stuff that will pay off American stockholders though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#48]
My 1994 Mazda 626 has 240,000 miles on it. It has been in multiple accidents and collisions since it came into my family (my father bought it new for $16,000). Not once has this car failed to start, no matter how cold the outside temperature (and not once has the car been garaged). It has a manual transmission, and not a single part has had to be replaced. My friends have a hard time believing that the transmission, gearbox, and all of the major components are original. After all of these years, the car still gets 30+ miles to the gallon around town. The only major part that has had to be replaced was the rear windshield, which shattered when I accidently shot it out. But thats a different thread.

However, I wouldnt touch Mazda now because they are now a Ford company, and since their purchase by Ford their reliability rates have dropped like a stone.

When I buy a new car, It will be an Accord or a Passat (when it comes out in Diesel). For less money, the
diesel Jetta is great.  Im sure the Camry is a great buy too, but I want something with just a little more panache.

Edited for Spelling.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Man those Lexus GS models sure look nice.  Not sure how they rank in reliability, but if other Toyotas are any indication, they are probably gonna be good.

Acura TL is a very nice car too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Camry or Accord. Check out the overall cost of ownership here: www.intellichoice.com Toyotas and Hondas have the lowest overall cost of ownership. They are the most reliable. Don't cost your mom extra money or hassels by recommending anything other than a Toyota or Honda.  The Honda dealer we tried to buy from was 'too busy' to help us. We went to Toyota and bought a Sienna on the spot. I say go Toyota.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top