Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 5:29:08 PM EDT
We have a big black stray that has been running our neighborhood, Pissing on flowers digging in flower beds and harrasing the wives who walk their dogs on leashes. Forgot to tell you my Father and Law is a Deputy Sheriff who runs our zone. Back to the story, My (Pregnant)wife had brought it to my attention that this was becoming a problem while she tries to walk our smaller dog. OK I said, I have now waged  war against the said animal. Paintball gun is cocked and locked (Just being nice at this point). So tonight right before we have to leave to go to breathing class THE DOG APPEARS, out of the house and blam blam 1 hit 1 miss, dog is running like hell my job is done. NOPE as we are pulling out of our subdivision here comes the law. UTT OHH. Flip the phone open and get the Ol' Man on the phone(Thank god for the neighbor who called he is off tonight), UHH dad can I go to jail for shooting a stray dog with a paintball gun?? NOPE. Okay later. Now I am thinking this SOB called the cops on me.
What would you do at this point??
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#1]
draw down?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Next time, get a pointy stick, skewer the recalcitrant canine, roast it, and eat it.  

That'll teach the fucker.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
draw down?

I actually thought about starting to walk with my wife, let the thing run at me 1 time. Really didn't want to start a neighborhood fued but looks like I am going to have to get the shovel out over this one.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#5]
WHat I would do is not nearly as important as what YOU did at that point?  So what did you do?

Me: Carefully explain to the nice officer exactly what is up with this dog.  Suck it up and be nice, he can't do anything to you except maybe be a prick.  Nod head up and down, and say "yes sir, yes sir, three bags full sir".  Then after he leaves, walk up and rap on neighbor's door.  "Sir, that one was a freebie.  There are leash laws, it would probably be in the best interest of all your neighbors, myself included, if you did not allow your animal to roam freely and terrorize the neighbor hood.  A dog running loose in my yard could be lawfully be construed as a threat to my wife and family".  Hopefully he gets the hint.

If it happens again, call the LEOs and say "there is a dog running loose in my yard, and it is acting very aggressive toward my wife who was in the front yard.  If it appears again in my yard, I will shoot it in lawful self defense".  Watch them come running, they will deal with it then.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Freeze the paint balls, Freeze them.......
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm.

Explain to the officer that your pregnant wife was chased by this large black dog, you ran out of the house with your paintball gun (non-lethal "weapon") to deter the dog from approaching your propety. Then ask the officer.... should I have resorted to lethal force?

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Good for you. I used 10cent rubber balls and a sling shot on a trash digger..... It was the last time I ever rebagged my trash.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I still have to find out who the Deputy was who took the call, I will guarantee I know them. No card left on the door.Good sign. I will bet the officer laughed at him. There is a longer story about this guy but I have always sucked it up and let him and his kids have their fun. The cop calling has just begun. When I call,the swat team will show up. This is crazy 911 shows on our address that dad sits in our driveway late at night  doing paper work, Shows he takes dinner at our residence. This guy is ADA big time.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Next time, get a pointy stick, skewer the recalcitrant canine, roast it, and eat it.  

That'll teach the fucker.

Dog meat is very tasty...umm...IIRC...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#11]

http://i1.tinypic.com/nxrmgn.jpg
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Slaughter,
Orange pro balls

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hmm.

Explain to the officer that your pregnant wife was chased by this large black dog, you ran out of the house with your paintball gun (non-lethal "weapon") to deter the dog from approaching your propety. Then ask the officer.... should I have resorted to lethal force?

No Expert

This is some good advice.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Is there not an animal control office where you live?
At least you are being humane and civil at this point, just rember it'snot the dogs fault it's homeless or might have been put out, maybe animal control, the humane society or some rescue organization could help you all and the dog all out.
That might also be a lot easier and safer than waging a war against some stray dog.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#15]

<dog pic>

give him some calamine lotion?

Well, talk to the owner I guess, but a big dog running loose can be a serious physical threat to anybody, especially a pregnant woman.  I like dogs, but any agressiveness by the dog must be interpreted as a threat.

Coincidentally, backing away (from the threat) in accordance with most CCW laws is likely to trigger an attack or chase response from the animal, giving you the opening to put it down.  Sorry for the owner, but you would be entirely within your rights.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Is there not an animal control office where you live?
At least you are being humane and civil at this point, just rember it'snot the dogs fault it's homeless or might have been put out, maybe animal control, the humane society or some rescue organization could help you all and the dog all out.
That might also be a lot easier and safer than waging a war against some stray dog.

It has an owner and I think I know where it lives. But we are in the county and I really don't want to confront some farmer about his mutt, if you know what I mean. Humane yes, like I said I also own a (thinks he's a bad ass Yorkie) dog, he is like a child to me so I really don't want to kill it. My problem now resides in th majority of the neighbors said WOO HOO way to go man, but one ahole had to get all upset about it. I told the wife let him come down here hell I would offer to let him shoot me with if it would make him feel better, But the calling the law come on JEBUS. Especially when my house is LEO family. I forsee years of fueding over this one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top