Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 4:44:25 PM EDT
Anyone ever watch this old movie?
I dont normaly watch old black and white movies, but this one was really good.

It's on AMC right now but more than half way done I think.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Good movie.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, was pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Watched in in High School, believe it or not, in history class.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Always enjoyed that movie but then I am a Bogey fan from the word go.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Always enjoyed that movie but then I am a Bogey fan from the word go.

Same.

Cool movie.

You know.....

The kind that depended on acting.

No CGI....Nothing like that.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#6]
The end is really good!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#7]
    Yep,  lots of good Tommy gun and No.1 mkIII  action.

A good subtle early anti-racism message too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The end is really good!

yeah
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]
You need to watch more "old black & white" movies.  Some of the movies that exploited the limitations of the film for effects are far more a reflection of cinematic arts than most of the crap done today.  Not to say there wasn't a lot of crap then but.

At a minimum you need to watch some of the other Bogie movies, if only to see where the cliches you hear a lot came from.  He was in some really great movies.

Casablanca - one of the best movies made, special effects suck, but everything wlse is great,  "shocked shocked" " Round up the usual suspects" "Of all the gin joints"

The Maltese Falcon  - Private Eye "that's what dreams are made of"

Treasure of Sierra Madre - Badges, we don gotta cho you no steenken badges

African Queen

Other good b&w

Stagecoach, Yankee Doodle Dandy - Jimmy Cagney at his best
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Watched it in college and wrote a paper comparing it, relative to its era, to Patton and another war movie (forgot which one).

Notice how there are elements to his crew from all of the allied powers.  Working together to fight the Germans, etc etc.  Also,  the need for natural resources ( the water!).  We all know that Germany was strapped for oil during the war and that was the reason for thier push thru southern Russia.  

I generally prefer black & white classics instead of the newer stuff.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#11]
A GREAT flic.  I have the movie and watch it occasionally, when I can't get to the range.    I love the battle scenes.  Outstanding characters.  So who can remember what actor played the first of the allied grunts to buy it?  The one killed by the enemy plane.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Excellent movie.  When I was a kid lots of old movies were black and white, and they were shown weekday afternoons on the Mel Jaz movie show.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Another excellent pick. the original 1939 version of "The Four Feathers". All subsequent versions are crap, often made with background footage from the original. This movie, and "Zulu" could make Anglophiles out of Saddam Hussein.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Another excellent pick. the original 1939 version of "The Four Feathers". All subsequent versions are crap, often made with background footage from the original. This movie, and "Zulu" could make Anglophiles out of Saddam Hussein.

Yup.  Very good flic.  The Mahdie's Fuzzy-Wuzzies against the vaunted British Square at Omdurman!  What a cool fight...and true too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't recall the name of that particular model tank used in Sahara.  When the US invaded North Africa, many of our tanks were either that model or one very similar.  The high profile made it an inviting target.  One GI said that it looked like a cahtedral coming down the road because it stood so high.

The riveted construction caused problems.  The rivets had a tendency to shear off and bounce around in the crew compartment on what would have been simply a glancing shot in later non-riveted tanks such as the Sherman.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I don't recall the name of that particular model tank used in Sahara.  When the US invaded North Africa, many of our tanks were either that model or one very similar.  The high profile made it an inviting target.  One GI said that it looked like a cahtedral coming down the road because it stood so high.

The riveted construction caused problems.  The rivets had a tendency to shear off and bounce around in the crew compartment on what would have been simply a glancing shot in later non-riveted tanks such as the Sherman.

It was an M-3.  They were called either the "Lee" or the "Grant" depending upon whether they were the older version (Lee) or newer version (Grant).  Imagine the crapstorm the PC crowd would throw if we named a tank a "Lee" or "Stuart" today.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome movie
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#19]
If I recall correctly they were the Grant tank,  or was it the Lee.  Damn memory thing.

I made a plastic model of one when a kid.  They were made in Schenectady and Albany Ny at the old train yards (they used to make locomotives there).

Compared to other tanks they weren't that great.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:01:54 AM EDT
[#20]
50cal, The movie is "Death Race" (1973).  Lloyd Bridges played the German commander.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:19:09 AM EDT
[#21]
He used his Head as well as his weapons, and got lucky
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I dont normaly watch old black and white movies, but this one was really good.

You're missing a lot.  The best era in film.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I love that movie...another one I like too, not a Bogey film, is "Battleground" about the 101st in the Battle of the Bulge.....

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:26:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I hadn't seen Sahara for a while and caught it on AMC.

Great flick, couple of observations:

- The Tommy guns used by Bogey and the Sudanese soldier were Colts, which would have been unusual -- there were only 15,000 made, and only a few ended up in Army hands (many more in Navy/Marine hands).  

- The German scout car that shows up at the oasis has a Browning 1917 watercooled MG on top.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:44:38 AM EDT
[#25]
My 18 yr old son will drop what he's doing, and camp out in the living room with me if he sees that I have a B&W movie on. His biggest complaint is that there haven't been any decent movices made since before he was born. I tend to agree, todays movies can be entertaining, but they rarely (if ever) hold you spellbound like the old ones did.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top