Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 3:07:27 PM EDT
I'm thinking of getting another rifle (if I can sell some other stuff first) and have narrowed it down to either another AR-15, a RRA NM lower with a 16" or 20" flattop upper or a Tikka T-3 Lite in .223.  AR will run about $700 altogether, Tikka will be about $500.

Primary use will be target shooting for fun and maybe deer hunting (our deer in north Arkansas are kinda small and a .223 will be adequate).  The Tikka has a 1/8 twist and should be OK for heavier bullets as would the AR.  Intended ammo is Hornady TAP 75gr., WW 64gr. PSP, and generic/junk/plinking 62 gr.

Scope will be a Burris Compact Ballistic Plex 4-12X that I already have.

Any hive mind input would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.  I already know that this forum is AR-15.com, not Tikka T-3.com so please don't bust me on that one!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the 6.5 Grendel
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Get the 6.5 Grendel

If I did, it would be for the children.  We've all got to think of the children!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the RRA A4 flatop 18" SS...You may need to put on a small riser for the scope to get eye level just right.  I was tempted to get the EOP but thought the riser may be too high.  I also put on the Barska SWAT scope 50mm 10-40x with illuminated recticle.  So far the thing has been great...not too expensive for clarity and magnification...we will see if it holds up over time....but I like it a lot so far.

Tack driver at 100 yards.  Havn't gotten it to a range with longer lanes.  

Edit....yes I know this is not the NM...but the RR's are nice.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
A .223 caliber rifle is not what I envison for long range.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a t3 in 308 and really love the thing. Got my deer with it this year too
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
GET THE TIKKA!  GET THE TIKKA!  GET THE TIKKA!

I was faced with the same dilemna, and got a Tikka T3 Lite in .223, and a Tikka .308 HB.  Both are stainless.

I love them - LOVE them!  They are incredibly accurate, feel "right" in the hands, lightweight, the bolt throw is literally like a hot knife through butter.  It will SPOIL you.  And the trigger, right out of the box, will astound you.

Trust me - you will love it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Define long range

SRM
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Realistically speaking, longest shot I'll get around here is about 300 yards.  That is because #1 I am too lazy to set up targets any farther than that and #2 any crows, coyotes, blackbirds or other varmint targets of opportunity will have to be that close for me to even know what they are (always be sure of your target!) and #3 we have a "3-point rule" on deer here in Arkansas and I won't be able to count the points if a deer is more than 300 yards or so away.

That is being realistic.  Yes, I keep a pair of 10X Nikon binoculars in the truck and use an Orion 18-36X spotting scope, but the chances that I'll be able to whip either of them out quick enough to identify a living target before shooting is slim to none. So around 300 yards is it.

Of course, I could be mall ninja uber-tactically unrealistic.....fully expecting to take 1000yard shots at terrorists........or not.

Thanks....Paul
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The Tikka is calling your name.  Resistance is futile!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
AR.  Just as accurate (if not moreso) and the ability to double tap.  When it comes to bolts I don't shoot anything less than .243.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#11]
At 300 yards both rifles will be great.  On German Shepherd size deer the .223 is very efficient.  For something like that, the AR would be ideal.  Forget the generic ammo.  Garbage in, garbage out.  Reload or but the good stuff.  Avoid FMJ like the plague if you are looking for accuracy.

SRM
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
At 300 yards both rifles will be great.  On German Shepherd size deer the .223 is very efficient.  For something like that, the AR would be ideal.  Forget the generic ammo.  Garbage in, garbage out.  Reload or but the good stuff.  Avoid FMJ like the plague if you are looking for accuracy.

SRM

I used cheap milsurp .223 and .308 in my Tikkas, and got sub-moa.  Not bad
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Browning BAR Mk II Safari 300 Win. Magnum

FN SPR A3G .308

Barrett M95 .50
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SRM

WOW!  Just goes to show......

I have never had good luck with standard military ball, even at medium range (500-600 yds).  I have looked at the tikka's but can't find a stainless light in the caliber I want.

SRM
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SRM

WOW!  Just goes to show......

I have never had good luck with standard military ball, even at medium range (500-600 yds).  I have looked at the tikka's but can't find a stainless light in the caliber I want.

SRM

What caliber are you wanting it in?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I never liked the look of the Tikkas. Till tonight. I was at Gander Mountain to pick up some shotgun ammo (20% off, moving sale, guns just 10% off) and was checking out the rifles. All the Winchesters are gone, just Browning, Remington, Ruger, Savage, and Tikka left, both the Tikka stainless and hunter models. Something happend. Those Tikkas felt good, looked good. I especially liked the stainless with the black synthetic stock. What's the story on the magazines? Guess I'll have to go check out their website.

GL
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Tikka T3 Hunter in .308. I love it! The Tikka action is smooth as glass and the trigger is outstanding. They can be had for right at $500 and are probably the best hunting bolt actions in that price range available today. IMO, no comparable Remington, Ruger, USRAC or Savage can come close to this gun out of the box.

It is sub-moa all day long with my handloads, and some factory hunting ammo like Federal Power-shok. 1-2MOA with most military surplus. Try the Port. and Australian surplus, they seem to work the best in my rifle. It hates American Eagle, South African and WWB FMJ ball however.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I have looked at the tikka's but can't find a stainless light in the caliber I want.

SRM

Look at www.budsgunshop.com.  They have Tikka T3 lite blued for 466.27, Tikka T3 Hunter SS for 571.05, Tikka varmint SS for 681.07, Tikka T3 lite SS for 544.85.  Best prices that I have found anywhere and they have a LOT of different Tikka models in stock.

I called for an in stock check on a .223 blued T3 lite and even though it was not listed on their website, they did have it in stock at a lower price than anybody else.  They were friendly folks too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#19]
We went to Cabela's tonight and looked through the used rifles. My GF asked me about Tikkas, because I'd shown her earlier what I'd posted in this thread. She was curious what they looked like. She typically dislikes the appearance of synthetic stocks, or even laminated stocks when I show her rifles I'm interested in, so I was surprised she was curious (AR15s are exempt - she badly wants a Bushmaster after I get my own build finished). There was a blued Tikka with the black synthetic stock. I pulled it down and handed it to her. "Oh yeah!" she says. "I could get into this. I'm surprised, but I like how it looks and feels. We could share this. How much for a scope?"

Hmm. Maybe my next bolt action will be a Tikka.

GL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top