Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 12:19:49 PM EDT

Satellite Photographs Reveal China’s Complex of Underground Nuclear Weapons Facilities

Satellite images obtained by the Natural Resources Defense Council and the Federation of American Scientists offer the world’s first glimpse of China’s underground nuclear facilities, according to a report released by Imaging Notes this month (see GSN, Oct. 6, 2005).

While China is nowhere near nuclear parity with the United States, according to the report, each country seems to be taking into account the other’s capabilities in modernizing its nuclear arsenal.

The United States has been enhancing its nuclear strike capabilities against targets in the Asia-Pacific region since 2002, the report says. Five submarines equipped with ballistic missiles have been shifted from Atlantic to Pacific ports, with over two-thirds of the U.S. nuclear submarine force now based in the Pacific. The Trident I C4 sea-launched ballistic missile has also been retired and replaced with the longer-range and more accurate Trident II D5, which can carry the most powerful ballistic missile warhead in the U.S. arsenal, the report says.

China, meanwhile, has only one submarine capable of delivering nuclear warheads, but is developing a new class of nuclear-capable submarine, according to the report (Imaging Notes, Winter 2006).

The new images of underground bases in China support U.S. intelligence and Defense Department analyses that conclude China is engaged in a secret military buildup, the Washington Times reported today.

“The Chinese have a whole network of secret facilities that the U.S. government understands but cannot make public,” said on Pentagon official. “This is the first public revelation of China’s secret buildup.”

The photographs, taken from 2000 to 2004, show China’s Xia-class submarine docked at the Jianggezhuang port on the Yellow Sea. Nuclear warheads are believed to be stored inside an underwater tunnel about 450 meters away from the vessel, according to the Times. The photographs also include shots of H-6 strategic bombers and nuclear-capable Qian-5 aircraft.

The U.S. Defense Department’s most recent four-year strategy report, released this month, says China is emerging as a power with “the greatest potential to compete militarily with the United States.”

The most recent U.S. National Intelligence Estimate concludes that China is deceiving the United States and other nations about its military efforts, the Times reported. Requests from Pentagon officials to visit underground Chinese military sites have been denied.

“The Chinese have denied having any underground submarine facilities,” a Pentagon official added.

China’s nuclear arsenal includes some 45 long-range missiles, 100 short-range missiles and 12 submarine-launched missiles, each with a single warhead, according to a classified Defense Intelligence Agency assessment (Bill Gertz, Washington Times, Feb. 16).

Source  www.nti.org/d_newswire/issues/2006_2_16.html#83C34010
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]
But...but...but...  They are only interested in Taiwan.

I don't trust those sneaky little fukkers.

Like Gus mentioned in another thread, Communism is founded on world dominance. At least that's what I was taught 20+ years ago in school. I also remember reading/hearing that China's ultimate goal is just that...  Complete dominance of the planet. That was taught in some history class of mine in grade school. I can't recall where it was found or written, but I seem to remember it was part of the whole Chinese "Grand master plan" from LONG LONG ago.

Any Chinese history experts here ???
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#3]
They wont hit us until our economy collapses from buying their crap.    At that point we wont be useful to them anymore.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]

I think the only people that think the world is big, misunderstood, warm, happy, fuzzy place  is the US liberal.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#5]
OMG... the sky is falling.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy Shiite, Batman NrO-BODY knew anything about those until now!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top