Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 11:52:17 AM EDT
I heard that HEAT was based on true events...what events were those?  I dont remember hearing about anything like that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Fatty Arbuckle's life story.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#3]
What?  It says it right on the back on the DVD!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#4]
The BOA robbery was based on Heat.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Some Chicago armed robbery crew.  The leader's name was Neil McCauley, just like DeNiro's character.

There are a number of similarities between the real life gang and the HEAT crew.  

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#6]

The BOA robbery was based on Heat.

Ya those guys were inpired by HEAT.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#7]
The Martha Stewart scandal.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Some Chicago armed robbery crew.  The leader's name was Neil McCauley, just like DeNiro's character.

There are a number of similarities between the real life gang and the HEAT crew.  

+1.

Mann has some Chicago connection.  Thief was a similar story about a super crew.  Crime Story was a Chicago based series, at least at first, and he loaded them all up with real or ex- Chicago cops, IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Michael Mann made the movie as tribute to a detective friend of his in Chicago who obsessively tracked and killed a thief (named Neil McCauley) he had once met under non-violent circumstances.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0113277/trivia

Who cares though?   I only posted this 'cause I'm bored and there's no dumb people I can pick on.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:32:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Parts of it were based on the real Neil McCaulley who was a career criminal in the Chicago area. It was also partly inspired by Eddie Bunker who is a legendary armed robber in LA.

Eddie Bunker also played Mr. Blue in Reservoir Dogs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Did the guys use an FNC in real life??? I gotta know!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Is the gun Deniro used in that movie a FNC?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:02:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Why in the hell did everone else use M16's and Pacino use an FNC?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The real question is why did everyone on the crew use M4's but Tom Sizemore used a Galil in the final robbery?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Rent the special edition, watch the bonus interviews.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I think there was a Galil in there as well?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The real question is why did everyone on the crew use M4's but Tom Sizemore used a Galil in the final robbery?

I don't know but he was the only one to get killed in the robbery get away....

Heat Quiz

BTW I do believe that one of the questions is actually wrong(in who it refers to).

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heat Quiz

I don't think the driver made it after that headshot sprayed chunks of his brains and skull all over the windshield.

ETA: I got 10/10 on the quiz...how could someone not get 10/10 on that?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#20]
GOAT BALLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZ
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:39:03 AM EDT
[#21]
HEAT is a remake of another movie Michael Mann did called LA takedown.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heat Quiz

I don't think the driver made it after that headshot sprayed chunks of his brains and skull all over the windshield.

Yah but he also wasn't really part of the crew remember he was a last second fill in.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heat Quiz

Yah but he also wasn't really part of the crew remember he was a last second fill in.

LOL!  So instead of saying "Oh yeah, I forgot the driver" you are saying he didn't "count" when you said, "I don't know but he was the only one to get killed in the robbery get away..."
(which somehow implied "That is, out of the members of the crew proper* and excluding other persons.  Some restrictions may apply".

* Crew proper being defined as DeNiro, Sizemore and Kilmer for the purposes of this discussion.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I heard that HEAT was based on true events...what events were those?  I dont remember hearing about anything like that.

Odds are This one  It lead to the widescale abandonment of revolvers and the initial (temporary) adoption of 10mm by federal agencies.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Odds are This one  It lead to the widescale abandonment of revolvers and the initial (temporary) adoption of 10mm by federal agencies.

No.

The special edition has a feature on the actual events that got Mann thinking about the story.  Even the name Neil McCauley is real as others in the thread have mentioned.

ETA:

RE: The special features on the Heat DVD

"The first documentary is titled “True Crime,” which tells the back-story on how Mann came up with the basis for his film. It runs about 15 minutes and discusses the history of crime in Chicago and how Mann came up with the idea for Heat. However, the documentary is mostly about the real life Chicago cop Chuck Adamson (who is the basis for the Al Pacino character of Vincent Hanna) and his encounters with the real Neil McCauley."

link
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#26]
A previous movie written by the same guy who used a different name for the first one.  Heat was a remake.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#27]

The real question is why did everyone on the crew use M4's but Tom Sizemore used a Galil in the final robbery

He just had to have 7.62
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Who cares though?   I only posted this 'cause I'm bored and there's no dumb people I can pick on.  

+1
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heat Quiz

LOL!  So instead of saying "Oh yeah, I forgot the driver" you are saying he didn't "count" when you said, "I don't know but he was the only one to get killed in the robbery get away..."
(which somehow implied "That is, out of the members of the crew proper* and excluding other persons.  Some restrictions may apply".

* Crew proper being defined as DeNiro, Sizemore and Kilmer for the purposes of this discussion.

No no I just ment that he didn't really take part in the bank robbery and wasn't a "shooter" he was just the driver. But in all honesty he wasn't really part of the Crew, the crew being the three you mentioned and Trejo. Though it was because of Trejo not being able to lose the cops that left them to have to get Pres. Palmer to drive the getaway car, so no he really wasn't part of the crew.

ETA: Natalie Portman is in this flick, but I don't ever remember seeing her...... Anyone remember seeing her at all?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The real question is why did everyone on the crew use M4's but Tom Sizemore used a Galil in the final robbery

He just had to have 7.62

The overwhelming majority of Galils are 5.56.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#31]
There was this one time, at band camp.....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Portman is Justine's (Hanna's ex/wife) daughter.  She has a breakdown over hair barets and like two other lines."

"Hi, Vince."
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
No no I just ment that he didn't really take part in the bank robbery and wasn't a "shooter" he was just the driver. But in all honesty he wasn't really part of the Crew, the crew being the three you mentioned and Trejo. Though it was because of Trejo not being able to lose the cops that left them to have to get Pres. Palmer to drive the getaway car, so no he really wasn't part of the crew.

So why didn't Jack Bauer save Pres. Palmer from doing this? Was he on vacation or something?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:41:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Portman is Justine's (Hanna's ex/wife) daughter.  She has a breakdown over hair barets and like two other lines."

"Hi, Vince."

Shows ya how much I pay attention to non gunplay shit in movies.... Someone beat me or something for missing that please.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Except the real life gang was not headed up by a gun-grabbing libtard.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heat Quiz

ETA: Natalie Portman is in this flick, but I don't ever remember seeing her...... Anyone remember seeing her at all?

If you watch the deleted scenes, Trejo wasn't being followed by cops. He lied to Neil because Waingrow and Hugh Benny were holding his woman hostage. When he gets back to his house after calling Neil, Waingrow has already killed(and presumably raped) her.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Refresh my memory.  How was it that Pacino knew the final robbery was going down?  Wasn't it some informant?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Refresh my memory.  How was it that Pacino knew the final robbery was going down?  Wasn't it some informant?

yes. Waynegro worked with Van Zandt(bond broker) to pry the info from Trejo. He had Hugh Benny(the muscle for Van Zandt) call in to tip on the robbery.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heat Quiz

If you watch the deleted scenes, Trejo wasn't being followed by cops. He lied to Neil because Waingrow and Hugh Benny were holding his woman hostage. When he gets back to his house after calling Neil, Waingrow has already killed(and presumably raped) her.

Hmm thats what I get for not watching the deleted scenes. Hmm ownder if I even have those on the copy of the DVD I have.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top