Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2006 10:27:59 AM EDT
Oh really?  Throwing the gauntlet down, are we?  Just what the heck are they going to do about it?  

Israel will strike 1st and we'll back 'em up.

HH
________________________________________________________________________________

Russia Warns U.S. Against Striking Iran
Feb 16 11:29 AM US/Eastern

By VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV
Associated Press Writer

MOSCOW

Russia's top military chief on Thursday warned the United States against launching a military strike against Iran and a top diplomat voiced hope that close cooperation with China could help resolve the Tehran nuclear crisis.

With tension mounting over Iran's nuclear programs, Gen. Yuri Baluyevsky, the chief of Russia's general staff, warned the United States against attacking Iran.

"A military scenario can't be ruled out," Baluyevsky was quoted as saying by Russian news agencies.

He said that while Iran's military potential cannot compare to the United States', "it is hard to predict how the Muslim world will respond to the use of force against Iran."

"This may stir the whole world, and it is crucial to prevent anything like that," Baluyevsky was quoted as saying.

Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Alekseyev, meanwhile, said that cooperation with China could help push Iran toward accepting Moscow's offer to host Iran's uranium enrichment program.

The Russian proposal has become a centerpiece of international efforts to defuse tensions over Tehran's nuclear ambitions.

"We are counting on the continuation of close contacts with our Chinese colleagues and other interested countries," Alekseyev was quoted as saying by the Interfax news agency. He added, however, that the Iranian nuclear issue recently had become "sharper," and "it is too early to assess the effectiveness of our joint steps to resolve it."

Iran's ambassador to Moscow said Thursday that Tehran hoped Russia would be able to help resolve the international crisis surrounding the Iranian nuclear program.

"Taking into account the good relations between Russia and Iran, I hope that together we can overcome this crisis which has arisen recently," Gholamreza Ansari said at a meeting with Russian lawmakers.

Ansari confirmed that a delegation is expected to travel to Moscow on Monday to discuss the proposal. He would not say who will lead it, but the Interfax news agency quoted Vyacheslav Moshkalo, a spokesman for the Russian embassy in Tehran, as saying that the team will be headed by Javad Vaeidi, Iran's deputy nuclear negotiator.

Konstantin Kosachev, the head of Russian parliament's foreign affairs committee, said after his discussions with the ambassador that he was satisfied that the Iranians would be coming in good faith.

"Iran understands the seriousness of the situation and is ready to continue discussions between experts to reach a compromise on the Russian proposal," he said. He said he had received assurances that "the delegation is getting ready for talks and will have all the necessary authority for conducting negotiations."

Kosachev also sharply criticized Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's remarks in which he called for Israel's destruction and questioned whether the Holocaust occurred.

"Such statements don't help strengthen Iran's international prestige," he said with Ansari standing at his side.

A Western diplomat, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the strong international consensus developed so far, including Russia, "is probably the strongest instrument we have going right now in trying to influence Iranian behavior."

Moscow is deeply concerned about the current Iranian regime's prospects for acquiring nuclear weapons, not only because Russia is geographically located close to Iran, but also because of the impact that could have on other Middle East players' nuclear aspirations, including Saudi Arabia's, the diplomat said.

The diplomat also noted that by aspiring to a central role in resolving the Iran crisis, Russia wanted to show that it could use the contacts it has built up over the years _ including direct communications with the Iranians _ to advance the concerns of the international community.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#1]
The next few years are going to get very interesting.
Remember the Boy Scout motto..........
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Ever hear of good cop-bad cop? They're just playing the good cop.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Turn 'em into glass and take their gas?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The next few years months are going to get very interesting.

I think it'll be by the end of May...too much going on to have it happen in a few years.  That Iranian guy is a lunatic.

HH
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Turn 'em into glass and take their gas scout water?

Fixed it to fit in boyscout slang.

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#6]
China is still communist. Isn't world rule a part of the communists' goals? Russia has a bunch of "old school" former commies in charge too. Didn't we just go through a cold war with those bastards? Yet we are expected to depend on them to make sure our current and very real sworn enemy doesn't have the capability to build nukes? Russia, China, and communism have only to gain from a weakend USA, and using Iran to achieve that would be pretty shrewd of them.

I don't trust any of the f*ckers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#7]
They can't even handle their own muslim problem, pure lip service.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll trust the Chinese to resolve international issues when they quit fu**ing around with North Korea.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#9]
The UN and the Russkies get the same treatment.  FUCK EM  FUCK THEM. and their daughters and their dogs and their moms.  Fuck them.  Who the fuck do the think they are to tell us what the fuck to do.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Iran is Russia's best customer
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#11]

X10
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, im sure the USSR's i mean Russia's main concern is that "it is hard to predict how the Muslim world will respond to the use of force against Iran." or  "this may stir the whole world, and it is crucial to prevent anything like that,"  Because we all know that they're such humanitarians

I never have & never will trust the damn russkies. Once a commie, always a commie.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Didn't Russia recently sell a rather sophisticated air defense system to Iran?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Russia doesnt have a rather sophisticated ANY thing to sell to anyone.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#15]
The Mulsim world is broken up into a bunch of tiny nations that have no love for one another.  If one is attacked the worst the rest of them will do is burn down their own neighborhoods and scream "Death to America" whenever an Al Jazeera camera gets close.  There's nothing else they really can do other than terrorist activities against us, and they're doing that already.  Russia will do nothing other than posture, its all they have left they can do.  China is the big question, they've got the manpower, the military organization, the money to do something and are buying the weapons and technology they lack.   Will they do something if we or Isreal strike Iran?  I doubt it, what's in it for them?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong. The upgraded S-300PMU kicks our Patriot missile system's ass.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#17]

He said that while Iran's military potential cannot compare to the United States', "it is hard to predict how the Muslim world will respond to the use of force against Iran."

Oohh, I'm skeeered.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just how was that trip to the Urals Dusty? They give you the grand tour?

Russia has decided it's in their interest for the US to be distracted and weakened.

They are not weak militarily by any means, they're not as strong as we are, but they do have good equipment, particularly missiles.

Chechnia is not enough to motivate Putin to go along with the US absorbing the entire middle east into its sphere of influence, there are Russian and Chinese interests in the region.

They may not openly resist us, but you can bet they're going to make things difficult any way they can, recognizing Hamas, switching to euros, selling arms to hostile nations, vetoing in the UN, etc.

The majority view in Russia is that democratic reform has been a disaster. Putin is an old school authoritarian, wake up and look at the world for what it is. It's not 1995 anymore, things have changed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The next few years months are going to get very interesting.

I think it'll be by the end of May...too much going on to have it happen in a few years.  That Iranian guy is a lunatic.

HH

I'm hoping it takes long enough for me to get some cash and stock up on more food, water, ammo, and magazines. I'm woefully unprepared thanks to my crippled income.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Everyone but the U.S. wants to get on the euros instead of dollars for oil bandwagon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Iran is Russia's best customer

I thought Iraq was.....Oh yea.....we fixed that.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I guess the Russians want an ass whoopin' too

Seems I read a theory about a super power attack on Israel that was destroyed by an act of God...Oh YEAH it was Revelations

Very interesting times ahead gents...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong. The upgraded S-300PMU kicks our Patriot missile system's ass.

Agreed. Do not make the mistake of underestimating Russian technology.
They are no Superpower, but their stuff works.

Need I remind you who was supplying the Space Station for the years we spent trying to figure out how to keep our space vehicles from blowing up and burning up?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Need I remind you who was supplying the Space Station for the years we spent trying to figure out how to keep our space vehicles from blowing up and burning up?

Yeah... on OUR dime.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Turn 'em into glass and take their gas?

LOLOLOLOL.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The russians helped plan Iraq's defense against us last time and were sure they'd inflict high casualties that would discourage us from continuing and generall bog us down. Hopefully they will send their military genuises to help out Iran next.

Yes, when you have ill trained conscripts and outdated equipment it's easy to discount a military effort.
Even the much vaunted Republican Guard units in reality were poorly trained and equipped with obsolete T54/55 and T62 MBTs.

Put our M1s up against T90s with the latest gear and crews who know how to use them and you could have seen a different result, at least on the ground level, even if the end result was the same.

I'm not saying the Iranians are any better than the Iraqis were at using their equipment, but to discount all Russian made equipment as inferior simply because it is russian is foolhardy, IMO.

I cannot speak to the effectiveness of Russian advisors.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#28]
The russian mafia sold it all  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
China is still communist. Isn't world rule a part of the communists' goals? Russia has a bunch of "old school" former commies in charge too. Didn't we just go through a cold war with those bastards? Yet we are expected to depend on them to make sure our current and very real sworn enemy doesn't have the capability to build nukes? Russia, China, and communism have only to gain from a weakend USA, and using Iran to achieve that would be pretty shrewd of them.

Anyone who trusts them is a fool.  And, yet we have lots of people who want to cozy up to them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Fuck Russia. The Russian government can barely afford a 3 minute phone call to the US, let alone back up their threats. It is China and their military build up that they are going through right now that we have to worry about. As far as Iran goes, give the people fair warning t get out and then turn the whole damn place into a melted glass skateboarding park.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#32]
What the hell is wrong with the Russians, don't they realize that they are helping the same types who are slaying their men in Chechnya. I think that it would be nice if we could give them a bit of kit to help them there, in exchange for alliance against China, and no more equipment to Iran, too bad they'd never hold up their end of the bargain. I would think that they would take militant Islam very seriously, but aparently they are playing games with the lives of the soldiers and making $$$$$$$ at the same time.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
What the hell is wrong with the Russians, don't they realize that they are helping the same types who are slaying their men in Chechnya. I think that it would be nice if we could give them a bit of kit to help them there, in exchange for alliance against China, and no more equipment to Iran, too bad they'd never hold up their end of the bargain. I would think that they would take militant Islam very seriously, but aparently they are playing games with the lives of the soldiers and making $$$$$$$ at the same time.

Your last sentence sums up very well the mentality of the leaders and "upper crust" in Russia.  They are basically criminals, looking for their own advantage.  It is a pity they have so much influence here.  Sen. McCarthy was right.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#34]
It boils down to everybody looking after their own interests. If Russia can't scare us and China can't scare us, then Russia and China together might convince the third world they can scare us. Otherwise, they lose all their customers.

The non-western world is asking, who can stand up to America?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I wish I could count all of the times I've had my integrity questioned in the past for my theory that our next "real" war will be against Russia, North Korea, and China. Add in Iran, and the rest of the extremist Muslim countries and it could get pretty big.

We'd probably have alot more enemies then allies. I'd be willing to bet that Fidel would be more on our side than the UN.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Russia has the old school type of man.
America has the new type of metro man in touch with his inner feelings.

You tell me if they are a threat ?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#37]
TAKE A LOOK AT A MAP, WE HAVE THE IRANIANS SANDWICHED. WE HAVE ESTABLISED AIR BAES AND ROUTES OF SUPPLY,  AROUND A MILLION TROOPS NOT FAR FROM THEIR BOADERS, THE BEST NAVY IN THE WORLD IN GULF. WHO'S F*CKED? AS FOR THE CHINEESE AND RUSSIANS. RUSSIA COULDN'T MOUNT A VERY CONVENCING OFFENSIVE, BUT THE CHINEESE ARE A MAJOR CONCERN.  THEY HAVE BEEN EATING UP WESTERN TECH. I BELIEVE IF ANYONE COULD GIVE US A FIGHT IT WOULD BE THE COMBO OF MUSLIUM EXTREMIST AND THE CHINEESE MAN POWER  THE OPTION OF NUCS IS VERY REAL IN A CONFLICT LIKE THAT. OF COURSE OUR ALLIES WILL BAIL, ALL EXCEPT BRITIAN. THE FRENCH WILL BAIL(BUT WHO NEEDS THEM, THEY HAVE NOT WON A WAR ON THEIR OWN SINCE NAPOLEON, THAT EXPLAINS WHY THEY HAVE A FOREIGN LEGION TO DO THEIR FIGHTING)

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Russia is concerned about itself (understandable).  

They are very nervous given their internal demographics and their territorial neighbors.

They had to say something, whether its for real or not.

There is more going on here, that we don't know about.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#39]
The only country that would likely stick it out to the end with us is Japan. They're one of our strongest allies, not to mention with out us their country is a giant open door for communist Asia.

America is in trouble, but IMO it's not all from foreign threats. If we go to war, China will be planning to nuke and invade us while 75% of Americans are out protesting violence at our soldiers funerals. Our super power status will probably be gone in the next two generations.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#40]
What does Russia plan on backing those words up with, I hope not their "navy":

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Their position would be one more of proxy than front line. They have been quite quiet for a couple of decades. Surely that does not mean that they have been dormant.

Nope, I feel the stars are lining up and the S will HTF. 06-08 will be quite dynamic.

Quoted:
What does Russia plan on backing those words up with, I hope not their "navy":

www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/SHIP_Submarine_Rusted_K-159_lg.jpg

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The majority view in Russia is that democratic reform has been a disaster. Putin is an old school authoritarian, wake up and look at the world for what it is. It's not 1995 anymore, things have changed.

Democratic reform has been a disaster because there has been no democratic reform: Yeltsin was a Soviet era leader and Putin was appointed by Yeltsin. The media is biased against the encumbant, etc. There hasn't been a truly democratic election in Russia yet.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ever hear of good cop-bad cop? They're just playing the good cop.

Doubtful. The Russians have no love for us at all. They don't even see us as part of the same civilization. They're Slavs and we're . . . mutts.

Regardless of their domestic problems with the muz, the Russians will do business with them internationally as long as they pay their bills.

Given their recent troubles with Muslims do you think they want a Muslim bomb any more than we do?

Now do they like it when we get poked in the eye? Yes. But what they really want is to be seen as relavant. The way they achieve this is to get the US and Iran to accept their enrichment proposal. They get to stick us in the eye because we don't stop the process totally, and they get to ensure Iran won't build a bomb and trouble their southern flank.

While the Muslim people may not like US strikes against Iran, there are plenty of arab governments that would support it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#45]
How long? I say again....HOW LONG!! before Iran starts sending their nukular waste to our Guys in Iraq? Iran needs stopped NOW. If they can send Insurgents, they'll send dirty bombs or worse.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I cetainly do.....and we would have one hellava game of "capture the flag"!!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#47]
"Baluyevsky"

Say that three times fast.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Yes, and they sold a pretty extensive one to Iraq (with French gear as well, as I recall). We wiped it out easily.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Ezekiel 38
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top