Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/16/2006 7:36:40 AM EDT
wireservice.wired.com/wired/story.asp?section=Breaking&storyId=1159511

DALLAS (AP) -- Four police officers were shot Thursday as they tried to serve a federal drug warrant on a home in southwest Dallas.
One officer was in serious condition with a gunshot wound to the head, Dallas Police Lt. Rick Watson said. The others were in fair condition at Parkland Memorial Hospital.
The officers had approached the home in an armored personnel carrier, Watson said. When they announced the raid over a loudspeaker, someone inside the home started shooting, he said.
Four officers were hit, and Watson said the armored vehicle moved between them and the gunfire so they could be pulled to safety.
The suspects later surrendered. Authorities said three people, including a 10-year-old boy and a person who was wounded, were taken into custody.

---> Wow!  This sounds alot like the battles that occured over prohibition. No choice but to fight as no other method of income exists.      
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I wish the Drug War would cease.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

DALLAS (AP) -- Four police officers were shot Thursday as they tried to serve a federal drug warrant on a home in southwest Dallas.
One officer was in serious condition with a gunshot wound to the head, Dallas Police Lt. Rick Watson said. The others were in fair condition at Parkland Memorial Hospital.
The officers had approached the home in an armored personnel carrier, Watson said. When they announced the raid over a loudspeaker, someone inside the home started shooting, he said.
Four officers were hit, ever heard of cover? and Watson said the armored vehicle moved between them and the gunfire so they could be pulled to safety. why serent they behind the APC to begin with?
The suspects later surrendered. Authorities said three people, including a 10-year-old boy i am sure CPS is much better for that little "drug lord" and a person who was wounded, were taken into custody.

---> Wow!  This sounds alot like the battles that occured over prohibition. No choice but to fight as no other method of income exists.      

if they gave an option of peace with a 20 minute limit EVERY time, i think a lot less officer would be shot, and more 10 year old kids would be in danger of APCs and shootings

hows the dog?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:42:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Four Dallas Officers Shot

Updated: February 16th, 2006 11:17 AM EDT

CBS11tv.Com

DALLAS -- Four Dallas Police officers and another man were injured during a shooting in Oak Cliff.

One of the officers was listed in serious condition while the other three were listed in fair condition.

Three alleged suspects were taken into custody about an hour after the officers arrived on the scene.

Lt. Rick Watson, public information officer, with the Dallas Police Department said officers were serving warrants at the address.

Early reports show the shots were fired about 7:20 a.m. in the 1200 block of Oak Park, which is east of Highway 67 and south of Loop 12.

During an address to the media from the neighborhood, Watson said the initial shots came from the home and the officers fired back, when one of the men in the house was hit in the leg. He was taken to Methodist Hospital.

Officials said two of the officers were hit in their protective vests and the third was hit in his hand and arm. During a news conference outside Parkland Hospital, DPD Chief David Kunkle said detailed the officers' injuries. One was hit in the upper thigh, one hit in the chest and arm and the fourth was hit in the ear.

"We are very fortunate," Kunkle said.

All four officers remained at Parkland Hospital. The chief said all were alert and able to talk. He called their injuries "treatable."

Authorities said the officers were experienced SWAT team members and some with more than 10 years of service.

Kunkle said he did not find a problem with how the officers executed the warrants. He said the officers announced their presence in both English and Spanish before moving closer to the house.

Watson said after the first shots were fired, the officers were pulled to safety and then tactical officers sent an array of chemical agents into the home, which forced the suspects out into police custody.

This is fifth incident since Christmas that has placed Dallas officers in the line of fire, the chief said. There have been three occasions within the past two weeks that people have displayed weapons when officers have approached residences.

Officials said a high-powered rifle was involved in this shooting.

"APC" was used as a recue vehicle not a gun truck or breaking vehicle.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What?  

I might have misunderstood that, but that makes no sense to me at all.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Some believe that drug dealers would become accountants or computer programmers if drugs were legalized. But crooks are crooks and if drugs were legal they would just sell other contraband from stolen guns to hijacked cigarrettes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#6]

ever heard of cover?

If they were following SOP as far as entry and in a stack there isn't really any cover to be had when you are about to breach. Stacked entry relies a lot on speed and suprise, they can go to shit quick if the badguy(s) knows you are coming and has time to get a muzzle on the breach point. My guess is the LEA recon showed a kid was in the house so they had to use a less dynamic means of entry in order to look out for his/her safety, which further added to the danger.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  

During prohibition many families made and sold moonshine as a method of surviving. Moonshine was used as currency...more often than actual federal currency was!
They fought very hard against the federal and local authorities, many died on both sides.

I was pointing out the similarities to the prohibition era battles. I'm sure that the drug trade provides many families with income. Albeit illicit, but income nonetheless.  They do have a choice...however, IMO, it's more of an excuse for the authorities to justify actions that would, in some countries, be considered criminal.
In a nutshell, I'd rather see someone sell drugs than be on welfare.
eta: flame suit- check.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#8]
They brought the APC in case they had to face a deadly gang of hot skater chicks in black miniskirts
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Some believe that drug dealers would become accountants or computer programmers if drugs were legalized. But crooks are crooks and if drugs were legal they would just sell other contraband from stolen guns to hijacked cigarrettes.

Perhaps we need to return to Prohibition, then?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if this is gonna be on an episode of Dallas SWAT
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
During prohibition many families made and sold moonshine as a method of surviving. Moonshine was used as currency...more often than actual federal currency was!
They fought very hard against the federal and local authorities, many died on both sides.

I was pointing out the similarities to the prohibition era battles. I'm sure that the drug trade provides many families with income. Albeit illicit, but income nonetheless.  They do have a choice...however, IMO, it's more of an excuse for the authorities to justify actions that would, in some countries, be considered criminal.

Except that the people they sell drugs to end up f*cked up and are STILL on welfare.

Legalizing drugs won't solve the welfare problem....

And if you think people aren't on government handout programs AND selling smack, you really need to do more research.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  We need to legalize it all.  MJ, alcohol, tobacco, Heroin.  Wipe all the laws related to any of them off the books.  

But the guys who are crooks now will continue to be crooks. Dont kid yourself on that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#13]
No comments on how much drugs were seized?  Very Suspicious or just a lazy reporter?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Authorities said the officers were experienced SWAT team members and some with more than 10 years of service.

Kunkle said he did not find a problem with how the officers executed the warrants. He said the officers announced their presence in both English and Spanish before moving closer to the house.

Watson said after the first shots were fired, the officers were pulled to safety and then tactical officers sent an array of chemical agents into the home, which forced the suspects out into police custody.

This is fifth incident since Christmas that has placed Dallas officers in the line of fire, the chief said. There have been three occasions within the past two weeks that people have displayed weapons when officers have approached residences.

And how many people in the Dallas SWAT thread wondered why they "needed" an armored vehicle? Or why they "needed" that much body armor? Or how "dangerous" their job really was, considering they "never" went against "real" bad guys????

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

ever heard of cover?

If they were following SOP as far as entry and in a stack there isn't really any cover to be had when you are about to breach. Stacked entry relies a lot on speed and suprise, they can go to shit quick if the badguy(s) knows you are coming and has time to get a muzzle on the breach point. My guess is the LEA recon showed a kid was in the house so they had to use a less dynamic means of entry in order to look out for his/her safety, which further added to the danger.

I have had CQB training, and have stacked on a door before, (only in training), and have realized how really unprotected you are in the "fatal funnel"

for some reason, when i read that, i saw a mental image of 4 JBTs standing there around a squad car, and some homie pops out of a window with a shotty.

"My guess is the LEA recon showed a kid was in the house so they had to use a less dynamic means of entry in order to look out for his/her safety, which further added to the danger"

i agree. this is probably why they didnt use more "dynamic" entry methods.

either way, spot on, bacon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And how many people in the Dallas SWAT thread wondered why they "needed" an armored vehicle? Or why they "needed" that much body armor? Or how "dangerous" their job really was, considering they "never" went against "real" bad guys????

+1

ETA: Oh, and how they are posers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:25:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Wow.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Called my detective buddy, the one people here love to talk shit about, and he said Dallas SWAT went in with DEA, and that DEA had command of the mission.  DEA ordered them to announce their presence over a loud speaker as the SWAT guys went to the front door.

Fucking dumbass DEA!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  

Oh yeah, because they report all that money they make selling drugs so that they aren't elegible for welfare....
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#21]
You guys are on Crack if you think even for a moment that drugs are okay.  I have to deal everyday with this issue and we need to exicute the a$$wipes that make and sell drugs.  Recall what the Brits did to China about 150 years ago.  Look at history and you will see that even great nations fall from drug use.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  We need to legalize it all.  MJ, alcohol, tobacco, Heroin.  Wipe all the laws related to any of them off the books.  

But the guys who are crooks now will continue to be crooks. Dont kid yourself on that.

My gret-grandmother who ruined her life and destroyed her family by using cocaine when it was legal thanks you.   Not really a personal attack...but....: Idiot
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#23]
ok, you want to legalize drugs? fine.

however, if you use drugs, you will receive 0, none, nothing in the way of financial assistance for medical bills relating to your drug use or as a result of your drug use (cancer, aids, parkinsins, etc)
AND, if you commit a crime while on drugs or to fund your drug habit, there is an automatic 20 year enhancment to your sentance, no plea and no reduction in sentance, even if you are found not guilty of the original crime, due to clerical error you still must serve the 20 years if your blodd tested positive for drugs, and forfiture of all property for the drug offender, car, house, money.

sorry wife and kids, you should have talked daddy out of useing,selling drugs.

sure you can take them, just no welfare from me and no money from the taxpayer to fund your drug habit.

ofcourse if drugs were legalized our economy would tank and we would end up with over 50% taxes too. just look at holland , amsterdam.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

ETA:brain - missing

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Me too, but the problem is that a lot of welfare bitches have live in boyfriends who are pushing illicit substances on the street, meaning their getting a illegal untaxed income and living large off of your hard earned taxpayer money.  I say we make it illegal for them to breed and force abortions on them until they hold a legit job; drug dealers and welfare bums alike.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Agreed. However, you have recognize that a fairly large percentage of people who use drugs (especiallly weed) are, aside from the pot, definitely not crooks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Give it a chance guys-it's only been 30+ years.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Four officers were hit, ever heard of cover? and Watson said the armored vehicle moved between them and the gunfire so they could be pulled to safety. why serent they behind the APC to begin with?
The suspects later surrendered. Authorities said three people, including a 10-year-old boy i am sure CPS is much better for that little "drug lord" and a person who was wounded, were taken into custody.

if they gave an option of peace with a 20 minute limit EVERY time, i think a lot less officer would be shot, and more 10 year old kids would be in danger of APCs and shootings

hows the dog?

Wow you've got the strategy all figured out don't ya ?   And the obligatory dog cliche' too, how fucking original.
Those guys shot today are better men than any pontificating internet commando.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Was the raid made after dark?

Fair game then ... cop or not.

It happened at 7:20 a.m.

And that's just stupid.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hows the dog?

Wow you've got the strategy all figured out don't ya ?   And the obligatory dog cliche' too, how fucking original.

Amen to that, Ryann!   Stay safe pal.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Nuh-uh!!!

I am better than them!! And I have the purple star and silver heart to prove it!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Agreed. However, you have recognize that a fairly large percentage of people who use drugs (especiallly weed) are, aside from the pot, definitely not crooks.

I would question the use of the term "fairly large".

Nevertheless, there are some people whose only real crime is use of a substance....for a while. Usually they end up quitting or being completely pwned!!! by the drug. Then they become petty theives and the like which isn't a big deal unless they are petty theiving from you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hows the dog?

Wake up. 20 minutes to destroy all the evidence in the house? Right.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Four Dallas Officers Shot

Updated: February 16th, 2006 11:17 AM EDT

CBS11tv.Com

DALLAS -- Four Dallas Police officers and another man were injured during a shooting in Oak Cliff.

One of the officers was listed in serious condition while the other three were listed in fair condition.

Three alleged suspects were taken into custody about an hour after the officers arrived on the scene.

Lt. Rick Watson, public information officer, with the Dallas Police Department said officers were serving warrants at the address.

Early reports show the shots were fired about 7:20 a.m. in the 1200 block of Oak Park, which is east of Highway 67 and south of Loop 12.

During an address to the media from the neighborhood, Watson said the initial shots came from the home and the officers fired back, when one of the men in the house was hit in the leg. He was taken to Methodist Hospital.

Officials said two of the officers were hit in their protective vests and the third was hit in his hand and arm. During a news conference outside Parkland Hospital, DPD Chief David Kunkle said detailed the officers' injuries. One was hit in the upper thigh, one hit in the chest and arm and the fourth was hit in the ear.

"We are very fortunate," Kunkle said.

All four officers remained at Parkland Hospital. The chief said all were alert and able to talk. He called their injuries "treatable."

The ironic thing is that this could have all been avoided if they were only going after them for marajuana.  If the government would just legalize the stuff these types of thing should not keep happening.  I came from a famil that back in the day there was stuff around because my parents were in the music business, my parents tought us that if anything ever happened and some one came to the house to go in to the bushes and stay hidden and stay out of it it is none of our business and no one elses.  That little boy should not have been firing at those cops no matter what.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Called my detective buddy, the one people here love to talk shit about, and he said Dallas SWAT went in with DEA, and that DEA had command of the mission.  DEA ordered them to announce their presence over a loud speaker as the SWAT guys went to the front door.

Fucking dumbass DEA!

This makes much more sense than the story told..dumbass DEA, someone has got to tell them.

I wonder if they know what they did was wrong and put officers lives in danger?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking dumbass DEA!

This makes much more sense than the story told..dumbass DEA, someone has got to tell them.

I wonder if they know what did was wrong and put officers lives in danger?

They probably don't care all they see is how badly they want the bust not any thing else. that is wrong.....
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
 That little boy should not have been firing at those cops no matter what.

I don't believe it is clear that the 10 year old was firing at the police, or that the police intentionally fired on him.

He could have been injured by the people inside the house blasting at the cops. Bad guys, after all, don't really give a damn who they shoot.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking dumbass DEA!

I wonder if they know what they did was wrong and put officers lives in danger?

It wouldn't be the first time a clueless fed with little or no raid training messed up an op....
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#40]
If you don't want to bleed a lot in this profession you NEVER go on an op where ANY federal agency is in command.

They want to bust someone?  Fine. Our people, our command, or do it alone.

The US Marshals screwed up royally here just two weeks ago.  Went after a guy on felony assault charges, little robot and the whole deal.  They created a standoff that lasted most of the day until the a##hole blew his own head off.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
You guys are on Crack if you think even for a moment that drugs are okay.  I have to deal everyday with this issue and we need to exicute the a$$wipes that make and sell drugs.  Recall what the Brits did to China about 150 years ago.  Look at history and you will see that even great nations fall from drug use.  

When do we start executing the employees of Anhuiser-Busch, Miller, Coors, Seagrams, Jack Daniels, and all the wine manufacturers and distributers?  How about Philip Morris, RjReynolds, and Liggett?  Damn, evil drug makers!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  

WTF  Most people don't make much money dealing drugs.  The folks they work for make most of the money.  So low pay, high risk.  They would be better off getting a real job.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow.  

It's more like sell drugs, rob dealers, kill dealers, be on welfare, and commit welfare fraud.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#44]

my parents tought us that if anything ever happened and some one came to the house to go in to the bushes and stay hidden and stay out of it it is none of our business and no one elses

WTF
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

my parents tought us that if anything ever happened and some one came to the house to go in to the bushes and stay hidden and stay out of it it is none of our business and no one elses

WTF

No kidding.

What kind of parent puts their children into a situation where they have to tell the kids how to behave in case of a DRUG RAID????????????

That's some pretty crappy parenting.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  

So... You'd rather that instead of getting a legitimate job, these people should committ multiple felonies and sell illegal products that ruin people's lives just so they're not on welfare?

You eat a lot of paint chips as a kid?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Was the raid made after dark?

Fair game then ... cop or not.

I cannot believe I just read the above from a Mod, with biblical references under his avatar.
Cops work 24 hours a day, so between sundown and sunup they're fair game?

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When do we start executing the employees of Anhuiser-Busch, Miller, Coors, Seagrams, Jack Daniels, and all the wine manufacturers and distributers?  How about Philip Morris, RjReynolds, and Liggett?  Damn, evil drug makers!

When vicious animals start gunning down convience store clerks because they need cash for a Budlite fix, or quick pack of smokes, we can start then.  Until then, let's focus on the shit that turns humans into  feral beasts.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nuh-uh!!!

I am better than them!! And I have the purple star and silver heart to prove it!!!

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

just like our founding fathers had to "exicute" those for drug use?

Our country got along just fine without a war on drugs or war on booze for about 150 years before the ninnies decided the federal government needed to micromanage people's lives.

And as a result, everyone has become less free due to these failed 'wars'. Your freedoms are taken away in the name of winning a war that can't be won.

I care more about my freedom than some bonehead who wastes his life smoking pot.

End the federal drug war. Let states decide. End the welfare state and government mandated health care so that if people screw their lives up with drugs, they have to face the consequences of their own actions.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top