Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2006 10:26:14 PM EDT
I've had this thing for the longest time about wanting to move up there and get the hell away from it all.  Wanna live like 30 min from my neighbors and all that jazz.  Wanna just chill out in the woods and enjoy life rather than dealin with all these jackasses I see every day.  

I wanna live up there but don't think I'd be able to find much of a job really.  
I'm graduating in may and gonna be a 2lt mp in the ARNG...  anybody know anything about the missile defense setup up in AK?  I know they use NG soldiers to man that place, thats about it...

Bash me or whatever if you like... its late :)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Talk me out of wanting to live in Alaska

No.  

[jedimindtrick]You want to live in Alaska[/jedimindtrick]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
How about 1 pic to talk you out of it

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

i1.tinypic.com/nwmpz6.jpg

Here is a pic to talk you back into it -

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#4]
oh not worried bout the big animals up there... in fact i'd love to shoot a handful of them.. and fish all the time. God i love halibut
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#5]
It's little chilly, come winter.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Why talk you out of it? There's no place I would rather live, and I have lived up here for 33 years.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#7]
knew a couple of families that played wilderness and lasted less than 2 years...said, the folks up there are a different breed...tougher...
permafrost, mosquitos, black fly, 40º below...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#9]
not really wanting to live in the places where you have to fly in on a float plane or whatever.  just away from most people and all
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
not really wanting to live in the places where you have to fly in on a float plane or whatever.  just away from most people and all

Wyoming is what you seek.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I've thought about moving there too... I say go for it!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why talk you out of it? There's no place I would rather live, and I have lived up here for 33 years.

How is the job market in AK? The wife wants to get away from everyone and everything and she has been talking about moving up to Alaska.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:08:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
oh not worried bout the big animals up there... in fact i'd love to shoot a handful of them.. and fish all the time. God i love halibut

YOU SIR

are a man of my own heart, I have for the longest time wanted to finish grad school and move up there just so I can get instate status to hunt and fish, god would I love to shoot a B&C moose in my "backyard"  and yea, those bears, no issue for any of my "big bores."  ID welcome the oppertunity to test em out some more.

Im with you on this one, give it a shot, life is not long enough....

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#14]
No women...........
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:22:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#16]
All of my friends who moved here from Alaska all say there's only three things to do in Alaska:

1) Get drunk

2) Screw

3) Freeze to death or get eaten by the wildlife

And number 2 isn't guaranteed.

Move to Texas; it's better anyway and we've every climate you could ever want.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:28:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Not quite Alaska, but wilderness living anyway:
I have a relative who moved to the Seattle area, married a guy who was a conservation officer. After seeing "Twin Peaks" on TV some years back, it became a dream to be able to live deep in the Pacific Northwest.

He got a contract job on an indian reservation. I'm not sure exactly which one but she mentioned the "Po" tribe, near another tribe named "Ho", and Neah Bay--but Neah Bay is in the Makah nation reservation, on the northwest tip of Washington state. I'd have to ask her the details.

Anyway they got there and at first she thought it was amazing; the reservation-supplied house literally overlooked the rocky coast. In the early morning, black bears would wander up and down the gravel beach. Moose would wander through the yard, if you spooked them they'd run off with their heads sideways so they'd fit through the pine trees. Eagles regularly soared overhead most of the year, except when they were south for the winter.

And after a few weeks it was a total bore. Nothing interesting ever happened, after you'd seen the few types of big wildlife wander through the yard. The nearest town was over an hour's drive away, and that was still just a one-gas-station town; nothing happened there either. The indians on the reservation were courteous as a matter of business, but weren't really sociable unless you were an indian or married to an indian. She tried to get a job after a couple months just to break the boredom, but there were very few jobs on the reservation, only at indian-owned businesses, and they only hired indians for them.

The contract was for two years but after eight months he had the option to quit, and he took it. They moved south to the suburban Portland-Oregon area and haven't been back to "the wilderness" since.
~
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:40:43 AM EDT
[#18]
LONG Winters
Few sunny days
Few women
Lots of poverty
Lots of drunks
24 hrs darkness
24 hrs light
Lots of drunks
You said talk me out of it right?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:48:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Go to Stellarium.com. Download. Put "your location" as Alaska. Set the date to 9/23. Accelerate the program and watch as the days spin by until 3/20. See the Sun much? Keep going for the next six months (buy thick curtains if you like to sleep).

1/2 a year of dark followed my half a year of sun. Not the most enjoyable distribution for around 24 hour cycle critters such as humans.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:27:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice place if you enjoy rain in the summer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:41:29 AM EDT
[#21]
30 Minutes from your neighbors in TX is actually very easy to do.

MO is the same way.  Very cheap to live there.

If you want to go live in AK, go on ahead dude.....I'd suggest visting first though.

Mrs Goon was stationed up there and, hated it bitterly.

On the bright side, if you're an ugly girl, you can get mad play up there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:44:26 AM EDT
[#22]
gnats, black flies, mosquitos in unheard of numbers, clouds of them, a veritable fog bank of biting buzzing bloodsucking critters guaranteed to drive anything on two or four legs insane. that's why people up there are known to be crazy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:52:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
No women...........

That's a deal breaker right there.........
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:55:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Go with your gut, young man.

If you want to live there, head North and do it without any regrets.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:14:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wyoming is what you seek.

It's sure as hell what I seek!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

i1.tinypic.com/nwmpz6.jpg

Nice doggie! Down boy! Down!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I've had this thing for the longest time about wanting to move up there and get the hell away from it all.  Wanna live like 30 min from my neighbors and all that jazz.  Wanna just chill out in the woods and enjoy life rather than dealin with all these jackasses I see every day.  

I wanna live up there but don't think I'd be able to find much of a job really.  
I'm graduating in may and gonna be a 2lt mp in the ARNG...  anybody know anything about the missile defense setup up in AK?  I know they use NG soldiers to man that place, thats about it...

Bash me or whatever if you like... its late :)

Everything is more expensive if it needs to be shipped there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
No women...........

Oh, we have women... just not a lot, and not many good looking ones :)
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#29]
In Before Raven gets here and tells about the kid that lives next door to him and revs up his engine on his truck just to hear it rev up.

I've never been to Alaska. If I wanted to move there I'd visit first and get a feel for it.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Eskimo pie is mighty cold.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#31]
About 15 years ago, I heard a statistic that there are 25 single, available men in Alaska for every single, available female.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I love reading the bullshit misconceptions those in the LESSER 48 have about Alaska.

~Dg84

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#35]
This has also been my dream since my 1st visit at age 9. I am now 44.5 & time is slipping away. I have many valid exscuses, but I have still not accomplished what I want most.

You will find jerks/Aholes where ever you go. Don't let others make you react.

The biggest problem is being so isolated from friends & family. It may seam like a dream come true in your mind, but once you get so far away you will find you forget the bad stuff & truely miss the good stuff.

I moved to Texas 4 yrs ago, &  90 % of my phone calls are to my friends back in WI.

I moved here to be by family, but left all my friends from my youth till I was 40 behind. My next vacation/trip will be to go back to see them. I really do miss them & the place I never  wanted to spend the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#36]
it's dark and cold most of the time and you're under a large quantity of snow.  

It's not all rolling fields of green landscape, wild salmon flying across rivers with white capped mountains in the background.

A lot of the time it's dark and pretty damn cold.

How's that?  I wouldn't believe a word of it, as I want to move there myself!  I'm just trying to talk YOU out of it!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I love reading the bullshit misconceptions those in the LESSER 48 have about Alaska.

~Dg84

"misconceptions of places I've never been" is one of the leading exports of ARFCOM
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

~Dg84

"misconceptions of places I've never been" is one of the leading exports of ARFCOM

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

~Dg84

True, but you could do the thread poster a big favor if you point some of them out instead of just saying that in his thread.

If "misconceptions of places I've never been" is the leading export at AR15.com, then typing things for the sole purpose to see yourself in a thread would have to be export #2.

Help the guy out man.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#40]
My sig line is an Alaskan saying...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#41]
My dad used to live there.

Its not bad for a single guy.

Couple things - one its fuckin cold. But y ou knew that.

Two - there is one woman to every 10 men or something like that. If you already got a wife - ok then. Other wise, you might be hard up for awhile.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#42]
go there every summer and have a hard time leaving.

Here are a few pics to talk you back into it

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=399160
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Help the guy out man.

Whatever...  It was a creative way of tagging this thread for later entertainment.  Did you happen to notice the and the in my post?  Besides, why would I want to talk him out of living in Alaska.  This is a fantastic state and place to live.  

Want me to help him out... No prob bro. Here ya go.
Alaska Hometown Forum
~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Alaska is fucking awesome. But be warned--The women seem to be even more insane, alcoholism and substance abuse is extremely common, and there are a lot of criminals there, cause thats as far as a man can get from his past without leaving the US.

Like I said, its fucking awesome. I like going there to hunt, stand in the daylight at 0200, and make shitloads of money (legally) in a short amount of time. There is an energy in Alaska that I have never found in the Northwest. Here it feels like the light saps the strength from my body. There, I feel energized.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Alaska is fucking awesome. But be warned--The women seem to be even more insane, alcoholism and substance abuse is extremely common, and there are a lot of criminals there, cause thats as far as a man can get from his past without leaving the US.

Like I said, its fucking awesome. I like going there to hunt, stand in the daylight at 0200, and make shitloads of money (legally) in a short amount of time. There is an energy in Alaska that I have never found in the Northwest. Here it feels like the light saps the strength from my body. There, I feel energized.

What kinds of jobs pay shitloads?  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Help the guy out man.

Whatever...  It was a creative way of tagging this thread for later entertainment.  Did you happen to notice the and the in my post?  Besides, why would I want to talk him out of living in Alaska.  This is a fantastic state and place to live.  

Want me to help him out... No prob bro. Here ya go.
Alaska Hometown Forum
~Dg84

I was asking you to dispell some of the things you pointed out as myths so that it would HELP him make up his mind.

I don't know where you got that I wanted you to talk him out of of it unless you are saying that if you told him things he would not want to come.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I do construction, but I know of fishing jobs and such. With the price of oil going up, AK is gettin an economic boost. When they drill ANWR, not if, there will probably be a lot of service work up there. My family was in TIGHT with the pipeling boom, back in the day. They all had jobs with Aleyeska and NC Machinery.

I do construction. The pay isn't much better there than here, but there I get 20 hrs. overtime per week and per diem.

Probably be in Anchorage this summer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Montana's better.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

~Dg84

+1

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#50]
It's about the coldest place on earth, the population consists of a bunch of drunken eskimos and all of the wildlife wants to eat you.

Hell, they have bears that kill and eat whales for cryin' out loud!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top