Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:16:13 PM EDT
Ive heard that a great way to clean guns is to run them through the dishwasher, especially when trying to remove cosmolene from C&R weapons. Anyone try this? Im thinking of running my SKS (dissasembled, of course) through my dishwasher, but I am concerned that the cosmolene will clog up the dishwasher or be a health hazard. I've gotten most of the cosmolene off, so there is just a minor residue inside the barrell and some of the smaller parts. Anyone have experiences with this (unorthodox) method?

- Graham
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I only do that with tupperware.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
You mean Glocks?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You mean Glocks?

No I mean tupperware. I wouldn't do that to guns, even Glocks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Take your sks to the car wash.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#5]
how about a spray degreaser? Then oil it up?

Dishwasher can be used in certain cases.....are you married?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#6]
elbow grease
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone in the SKS forum mentioned it. Heres the link they provided.

"The Dishwasher Method"
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#8]
When I bought my mosin nagant, which was basically a stick covered in cosmo when I picked it up, was easy to clean. The shop I bought it at gave me a aerosol can of some grease remover. Took all of 15 minutes to have it to dry bare metal and wood. I just did it in the garage over a towel/rag.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh good lord dont stick it in the dishwasher... If you do ill give you the name of a guy that can refinish it for ya...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you ever seen how silverware rusts after an amount of dishwasher runs? NO THANKS... I'll stick to cleaning mine in the toilet.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#11]
So the general consensus is NO? Allright, ill just have to hit up the hardware store tomorrow and get some degreaser. Im just worried about the small parts and getting all of the cosmolene out of the barrel (this is my first C&R weapon and I'm no gunsmith) but I'm just worried about making the weapon completely safe and operational.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Simple green.

Make sure you completely strip the bolt (Drive out the pin, laying it across an open set of vice jaws over a towel works good) and get it cleaned out, when you shake the reassembled bolt make sure the firing pin rattles freely.

Number one cause of  problems with an SKS is cosmo in the bolt causing slamfire.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Find a friend with an automotive parts washer. The solvent melts away any type of grease.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I honestly don't think it would hurt the sks parts.  The dishwasher may not like it.  If you are married, I can GUARANTEE you the Mrs. won't like it.  

Brake cleaner/carb cleaner/mineral spirits (or Gun Scrubber if you are wealthy) and a pressure washer will do the trick nicely.

ETA:  I have friends who clean their BP guns in the dishwasher.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I did it and it worked wonderfully.
the sks turned out really nice

ETA: you will have to sand and finish it. I used tung oil and it turned out great. also the dishwasher was unharmed
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ive heard that a great way to clean guns is to run them through the dishwasher, ..., but I am concerned that the cosmolene... be a health hazard.           - Graham

Gee, ya think!?!

Do you serve BBQ out of your oil drain pan too?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ive heard that a great way to clean guns is to run them through the dishwasher, ..., but I am concerned that the cosmolene... be a health hazard.           - Graham

Gee, ya think!?!

Do you serve BBQ out of your oil drain pan too?

If the washer is working right I wouldn't worry about the cosmo. It is a good way to mess up the plumbing though.. Nothing like cold grease down the line.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I honestly don't think it would hurt the sks parts.  The dishwasher may not like it.  If you are married, I can GUARANTEE you the Mrs. won't like it.  

Brake cleaner/carb cleaner/mineral spirits (or Gun Scrubber if you are wealthy) and a pressure washer will do the trick nicely.

ETA:  I have friends who clean their BP guns in the dishwasher.  

It's all about the steam Some people act like metal will crumble at the mere sight of moisture.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I know.  I personally boil a pot of water and pour down the bores of my guns after shooting BP.  Nothing works as good as just plain hot water.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Paging DrFrige... Paging DrFrige!!! I have cosmoline all gooped up in my dishwasher pump ... How do I fix it?

I swear if I EVER get an IM like that... Im kicking ass and putting names on lists!!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#21]
metal parts of black powder guns after a long day, maybe.  but not if I figured Ma Danby would catch me.

But not to strip cosmolene, or any other petrochemical.  I appreciate having my balls attached and not in a jar at her workplace.

Cosmolene is way to gunky, and any other gun lube stuff would smell things up.

I got in enough trouble when I got caught using the kitchen sink to give my garand a good scrubbing down with soap and hot water.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Paging DrFrige... Paging DrFrige!!! I have cosmoline all gooped up in my dishwasher pump ... How do I fix it?

I swear if I EVER get an IM like that... Im kicking ass and putting names on lists!!!!

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Only Glocks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I tried it once with a stainless Ruger security six. It worked well
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

IM sent.....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I dont think I would eat off plates after parts went though the machine. Plenty of bad stuff in gunpowder.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I usually take my metal parts and cook them in the oven at around 150 for a little while and then spray them down with brake cleaner while still hot. That usually yields very clean and dry parts after air drying.

I do the same with the stock until the cosmo stops seeping out. Then I use mineral spirits or acetone of it's a really dirty stock. If it's real bad, I'll use simple green or purple power or even oven cleaner.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Just use a can of brake cleaner or Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top