Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2006 6:04:59 PM EDT
One of the men at work was once in the Navy (Lt. Commander) and has now been deployed to Iraq.  He'll be working for the Army though, north of Baghdad, wearing ACUs.  I think he'll be working for a general but I'm not sure.

So, what, or why, is a Naval officer being deployed to the Army, and will he display a naval rank or an army rank?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Totally depends upon his "job" in the Navy on what he will be doing, and yes he will wear his navy rank (the pin on/sew on insignia looks the same as the army/AF/MC) even if he is wearing the ACU's.

Navy.......Army/AF/MC.......Insignia
Ensign.............2LT..............Gold Bar
LT (jg).............1LT...............Silver Bar
LT....................CPT..............2 Silver Bars
LCDR...............MAJ..............Gold Oak Leaf
CDR.................LTC...............Silver Oak Leaf
CAPT...............COL..............Silver Eagle
RADM (lh)........BG.................1 Star
RADM (uh).......MG................2 Star
Vice ADM........LTG...............3 Star
ADM................GEN...............4 Star
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
He'll sink or swim.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Could be anything.

SEAL, Intel, Linguist, logistics, etc.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Could be anything.

He could also possibly be a Navy liaison.  The Navy announced last week (or 2) that they would be replacing up to 17,000 army positions in Iraq to help take the strain off of the US Army.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Could be anything.

He could also possibly be a Navy liaison.  The Navy announced last week (or 2) that they would be replacing up to 17,000 army positions in Iraq to help take the strain off of the US Army.

Yep. Like I said, could be any number of things. Not unusual in the slightest, really.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#6]
The air force has been supplementing the army for the past few years.  I have gotten several offers to cross commission into the army instead of the AF.  Basically I would finish out ROTC wearing blue, then commission in a green uniform.  Pay inventives were attractive, but not the kind of career i would like.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#7]
IA or Individual Augmentation.  Your parent command receives a request for an IA candidate.  They submit the name of someone with the appropriate rank and clearance.  That name filters up to the IA coordinator along with the others, and the "lucky" guy gets his chance to do something for which he has absolutely zero training.  These aren't SEALS or EOD, they are just SWO's, sub nucs, maybe even a couple NFO's.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Would he possibly run around shouting BAAAUGGGHHHAA   BAAAUGGGHHHAA  DIVE DIVE!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
One of the men at work was once in the Navy (Lt. Commander) and has now been deployed to Iraq.  He'll be working for the Army though, north of Baghdad, wearing ACUs.  I think he'll be working for a general but I'm not sure.

So, what, or why, is a Naval officer being deployed to the Army, and will he display a naval rank or an army rank?

If you look thru history there is a lot of cross-service work going on.  He could still be Navy but performing any task as directed. The first atomic bomb mission over Japan, the weaponeer was a Navy Captain.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Get me coffee.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Get me coffee.

I was gonna suggest finding a box of grid squares.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:09:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get me coffee.

Or get a couple backblast bags.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:44:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get me coffee.

Get a vanity plate on his POV when he rotates back to the States that say GO ARMY.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:11:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get me coffee.

Get a vanity plate on his POV when he rotates back to the States that say GO ARMY.

That would justify a serious ass-kicking.

Of course, I never did see that Army puke again after I sent him off to the engineering spaces to find me an overhead buffer. Never heard from again.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:43:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get me coffee.

Get some chem light batteries.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:57:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Get the Keys to the Drop Zone and/or Keys to Area J
Ask the 1SG where the PRC-E8 is located
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:57:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Naval Rank.
We call them individual augments. I've been up for one or two. The last one was for a "watch officer" position. I've also seen them for "requirements officers" and the like.

Get used to seeing them. The Navy is putting more boots on the ground this year.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:05:33 AM EDT
[#18]
The big question is, who's responsible for keeping these navy guys from getting lost?
I mean, The Army already has its hands full looking for lost SEALs...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:29:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Admiral of the USS Neversail...
5 decks with a straw bottom,,,
Every night at dusk he'll fire the blivet gun. Its got 5 lbs of bull **** in a 4lb bag with a 3 second fuse in a 2 inch barrel with 1 foot of windage and elevation.
(info relayed from a former Ensign in the USN during WWII who served on the battleship West Virginia after they dug her out of the mud of Pearl Harbor)
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:50:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:53:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Perhaps he'll be leading.  From my expirence that's what officers do.  Hell I'd think groundpounders would even be smart enough to figure that out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:54:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Staff bitch.
IN order to make general officer, everyone has to serve in a joint billet in a joint HQ.  They may have expanded this to allow service in a sister service organization.
The guy may be the trans coordinator or a comms expert.
But he ain't gonna command.
He will probably hate it.
The army doesn't have a snit fit everytime an O4 comes into the room.
Chiefs have it the hardest.  There ain't much difference between an E6 and E7 in the Army.
Chiefs want to be treated like they are GOs when they walk around.
I mean, seriously.  Just being fat isn't enough.

Didn't have to come across as a DICK about the whole thing.

The simple fact is the Navy is rogering up to doing more in theater and providing whatever support we can.

There aren't many O-4 commands in the Navy and O-4s in the Navy are considered "junior officer", ie no scrambled eggs on their covers like some other services. I know of no officer that has been sent as an IA who ever expected to command or expected to do much more than staff duty. Although, I'm told that powerpoint is more prevelent in the Green Machine than it is in the Navy; though I find that difficult to believe.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:06:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:28:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I thought we were teasing in this thread.
Lighten up, francis.
Oh, we are the powerpoint Gods.  You can see how well that helps us in the Pentagon budget battles (where we get our asses handed to us every fucking year)
Having spent some time with Navy types, you guys do have a different world as far as seperation of the ranks.

I don't find this to be a subject to tease about. These IAs aren't counting as joint tours, as of now. This is nothing that punches a ticket for us. The promotion boards have said," we'll try not to hold it against an officer if they fail to meet a career milestone because of an IA."

Despite all that you have Navy officers chomping at the bit to volunteer. Some of us cannot because of the position we are filling right now. Trust me, I've tried volunteering every time my command has gotten the word to provide, and I know I'm not the only one.

One more thing, you don't see me complaining about how the Army is treating our IAs, and it hasn't been good. Like qualifying people on the M-16 then issuing them M9s and other logistical and training SNAFUs.

As far as seperation of the ranks go, you're right, and it's not on a whim either.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:28:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Yea, he'll be in a staff position of some kind, logistics or some crap.

As for wanting special treatment, heres a quick story. I'm at CRC (Ft. Bliss) just prior to deploying over here in Sept. 04, and at the final brief, they ask what they can do to improve the CRC process. This navy medical officer (no idea what rank) raises his hand and tells the Colonel that instead of Navy officers staying in the O rooms at the barracks, they should give them a chit for hotel rooms, "befitting of our rank". The roar of the entire auditorium was deafening and he quietly sat down.

The Colonels' reply "Sir, my job here is get you all processed as quickly and professionally as possible, because we need boots on the ground in Iraq, you can stay in the barracks like everyone else".

You could tell the guy was pissed, his face was all red.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:31:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Yea, he'll be in a staff position of some kind, logistics or some crap.

As for wanting special treatment, heres a quick story. I'm at CRC (Ft. Bliss) just prior to deploying over here in Sept. 04, and at the final brief, they ask what they can do to improve the CRC process. This navy medical officer (no idea what rank) raises his hand and tells the Colonel that instead of Navy officers staying in the O rooms at the barracks, they should give them a chit for hotel rooms, "befitting of our rank". The roar of the entire auditorium was deafening and he quietly sat down.

The Colonels' reply "Sir, my job here is get you all processed as quickly and professionally as possible, because we need boots on the ground in Iraq, you can stay in the barracks like everyone else".

You could tell the guy was pissed, his face was all red.

That's funny. Of course a medical officer is not much more than a civilian in uniform. In South Carolina, Fort Jackson I think, the IAs are treated to open bay barracks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:27:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get me coffee.

Get some chem light batteries.

Double A batteries?  :unsure:
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Get the Keys to the Drop Zone and/or Keys to Area J
Ask the 1SG where the PRC-E8 is located

Or maybe a can of squelch, a tube of elbow grease, or chemlight batteries.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, Dport, we're all in this thing together, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Well, Dport, we're all in this thing together, thanks.

After all the joking, I agree.
Troops on the ground need doctors and logistics support, both of which US Navy personnel can provide.  This phase of the war has a lot of our Naval warriors feeling frustrated and many of them are trying to get into the theaters to help.

Good on 'em.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I got one for you all
I had a friend that I used to drink coffee with, shoot, and reload with was a Navy recruiter in the early 80's with the downsizing that was going on he switched to the Army on his class A's he had this big medal of a ship and crossed rifles. He explaned to me that it was a old Army classification that denoted a ship boarding party that the Navy used the Army for. He said it dated back to founding of the Army.
Lost track of him, heard he was messed up bad in a car wreck while in route to talk to a recruit.
Hey anyone have a Pic. of that medal?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I got one for you all
I had a friend that I used to drink coffee with, shoot, and reload with was a Navy recruiter in the early 80's with the downsizing that was going on he switched to the Army on his class A's he had this big medal of a ship and crossed rifles. He explaned to me that it was a old Army classification that denoted a ship boarding party that the Navy used the Army for. He said it dated back to founding of the Army.
Lost track of him, heard he was messed up bad in a car wreck while in route to talk to a recruit.

Crossed rifles or crossed sabres?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_Warfare_Badge
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I got one for you all

Crossed rifles or crossed sabres?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_Warfare_Badge[/quote
Nope not it it was a Army issued medal and I remember rifles
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#34]
The link I provided was to a Navy issued warfare qualification pin.

How about this warfare pin?
http://www.answers.com/topic/special-warfare-combatant-craft-crewman-badge
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
on his class A's he had this big medal of a ship and crossed rifles. He explaned to me that it was a old Army classification that denoted a ship boarding party that the Navy used the Army for. He said it dated back to founding of the Army.

Never heard of that one.  On the carrier I had an AIMD officer who spent a lot of time standing watch on the bridge make up a leather nameplate with the wings from EAWS and the ship from the SWO/ESWS pins as a joke.  It was pretty good looking.  I might have to do something like that with a SWO pin and the new FMF-O device that should be released next month.  

Back to Navy IAs with the Army; it seems like a simple numbers game.  The Army is hurting for bodies everywhere, including staff weenies.  The Marines are doing the same thing, on top of the usual Medical/Dental/Chaplain stuff.  II MEF has Sailors in Iraq doing aircraft intermediate maintenance, most of the IO/OPSEC/EW stuff, an EODMU Det, etc.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Better yet look at page 10 of this:
http://www.navy.mil/media/allhands/acrobat/ah200601.pdf

ETA: Doh, I see you said it was an Army issued medal. The reference to "class A's" threw me.

Belay my last.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Maybe a Padre or a Doc, both of those jobs could be "joint" all the time.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Medical officers of all types and chaplains will almost all serve with the Marines at some time in their career, but it is not considered "Joint".  I'm not getting joint duty credit.  
<-- Navy serving with FMF.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
too bad you don't get the joint credit.
I doubt that the Navy guys are being treated bad.
Its just they are being treated how Army Officers are normally treated.
Qualifying M16 and issued an M9?  So what?  When we mobbed everyone qualified on everything, just in case.
I am currently at a school, in NCO barracks as an O4.  Just the way it goes sometimes.  I don't like sharing a bathroom, but I am not sleeping in the dirt.  Its only two months.
Except for GOs and an occassional asshole O6, the term "befitting our rank" really isn't in the Army Officer's vocab. How our men live, more or less, is how we live.
Like I said, different corporate culture.
When Navy types play with Army, Army's rules.
When I work with Navy types, I will sadly take my God like status.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
The link I provided was to a Navy issued warfare qualification pin.

How about this warfare pin?
http://www.answers.com/topic/special-warfare-combatant-craft-crewman-badge

Not it I have been googleing and can't find it
Another possible clue he was a vet of the congo mission with the UN in the 60's
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Liaison Officer or he is in a joint billet.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey Mods I am not trying to Hijack this thread should this be a seperate topic?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I haven't heard any complaints other than being told not to bring a car to Ft Jackson and then getting stuck on base. The people telling me about open bay barracks weren't complaining.

Qualifying M16 and issued an M9?  So what?  When we mobbed everyone qualified on everything, just in case.

The punchline is they weren't being qualed on M9s. When I was a WEPS I qualified everyone on every weapon onboard. It seemed like the smart thing to do.

I am currently at a school, in NCO barracks as an O4.  Just the way it goes sometimes.  I don't like sharing a bathroom, but I am not sleeping in the dirt.  Its only two months.

The Navy really doesn't have different barracks anymore. It's all "combined bachelor housing."

Except for GOs and an occassional asshole O6, the term "befitting our rank" really isn't in the Army Officer's vocab. How our men live, more or less, is how we live.

You said medical officer. I doubt you'd hear too many people with actual warfare qualifications complaining.

Who knows a war with China and we might need more Tactical Action Officers. Nah.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Medical officers of all types and chaplains will almost all serve with the Marines at some time in their career, but it is not considered "Joint".  I'm not getting joint duty credit.  
<-- Navy serving with FMF.  

Only certain billets qualifier as joint and give you joint qualification, there are tons of non-joint billets billets that you serve with other services.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Liaison Officer or he is in a joint billet.  

No sir, I can almost guarantee he's been IA'ed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Only certain billets qualifier as joint and give you joint qualification, there are tons of non-joint billets billets that you serve with other services.

Right, but AFAIK no Navy billets with the Marines are considered "Joint".  Just part of the job.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

You should go work on a sub.  You'll really feel like a god when your ass is being fondled in control at night, or sleeping in 9-man berthing with the cooks.  Only the senior rider stays in the XO's stateroom, so it is not unusual at all to have O6's berthed with the crew.  Of course I'm talking about the fast attack crowd.  The SSBN [homos] are more like SWO's.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
You should go work on a sub.  You'll really feel like a god when your ass is being fondled in control at night, or sleeping in 9-man berthing with the cooks.  Only the senior rider stays in the XO's stateroom, so it is not unusual at all to have O6's berthed with the crew.  

What? No sleeping with the torpedoes? You guys are getting soft.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You should go work on a sub.  You'll really feel like a god when your ass is being fondled in control at night, or sleeping in 9-man berthing with the cooks.  Only the senior rider stays in the XO's stateroom, so it is not unusual at all to have O6's berthed with the crew.  

What? No sleeping with the torpedoes? You guys are getting soft.

Mainly junior hotrackers in with the torpedoes.  Of course, none of this compares to the experience of the average soldier in Iraq.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top