Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Federal law:
From a federally licensed dealer: 21
From a private citizen: n/a
Possession: n/a

Some places will let you skirt by if you tell them it's for a rifle like a Marlin camp carbine. However, the law is written as "pistol caliber ammunition," so technically 5.56mm/.223 could be thrown in there as well. Thats a complete grey area of the law considering how its written and I've never heard of someone actually considering a rifle cartridge as a "pistol caliber." So most places interperate "handgun caliber ammunition" as common pistol calibers; 25acp, 38, 9mm, 40, 45, etc).
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I am pretty sure you have to be 21. Although, someone told me you can purchase it as 18, provided it's for a rifle. But I doubt this.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#4]

edited for dyslexia
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Its all BS.

There are handguns that shoot 30-06 and there are rifles that fire 9mm.

WTF is the definition of "handgun ammo".

I had a 20 year old friend who was denied 22lr ammo because it could be used in a handgun.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#6]
21, but if the purchaser doesn't mind lying they can say it's for "insert rifle/carbine in that caliber" and buy it. That's what I used to do before I was of age.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#7]
21 for ammo

18 for rifle and .22
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#8]
at walmart they ask when buying 9mm if its for rifle or handgun.  just say rifle.    i'd research an actual rifle in that caliber just incase you get someone who knows what is up.

edit: and one time i went, the guy said "you know you have to be 21 to buy this right?"  and i said 'what if its for a rifle' - to which he said, well, yeah thats ok then.       so dont let them try to fool you!

edit #2:  thats probably illegal so just buy a rifle in that caliber and ONLY buy rifle ammo....heh
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Its all BS.

I had a 20 year old friend who was denied 22lr ammo because it could be used in a handgun.

That's what Wal-Mart tells me, too.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
at walmart they ask when buying 9mm if its for rifle or handgun.  just say rifle.    i'd research an actual rifle in that caliber just incase you get someone who knows what is up.

edit: and one time i went, the guy said "you know you have to be 21 to buy this right?"  and i said 'what if its for a rifle' - to which he said, well, yeah thats ok then.       so dont let them try to fool you!

edit #2:  thats probably illegal so just buy a rifle in that caliber and ONLY buy rifle ammo....heh

It's for a rifle is the suggestion I give to people.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top