BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2006 4:11:27 PM EDT
Tories paint bulls-eye on long-gun registry

DAN DUGAS

Canadian Press

Ottawa — The Conservative government has created a committee of two cabinet ministers and a backbencher to figure out how best to kill the long-gun registry as soon as possible.

Registry critic Garry Breitkreuz, who is working with Justice Minister Vic Toews and Public Security Minister Stockwell Day, said he has been given wide leeway to deal swiftly with the registry.

“I wouldn't be fighting for what I'm fighting for if I didn't think that would be the case,” the Saskatchewan MP said in an interview.

“We couldn't have had two better appointments because they're giving me the opportunities to put in place whatever is needed to stop the flow of money right now.”

Prime Minister Stephen Harper promised voters during the election campaign that the long-gun registry would be scrapped and money redirected to public safety.

When the Liberals added the registry to the federal gun control program in 1995, they said it would cost taxpayers no more than $2-million. But the most recent estimates put the figure in the hundreds of millions of dollars, bringing the total cost of the gun program to more than $1-billion.

The Conservatives have called the registry a waste of taxpayers money that targets duck hunters rather than criminals.

Mr. Breitkreuz would say little about how the government will kill the registry while maintaining background checks it promised on would-be gun owners.

“I still have to work through Stockwell Day and Vic Toews so I can't tip my hand as to what we're doing but we're working on that.”

The Tories promised to reinvest savings from scrapping the gun registry into hiring police and assisting victims of crime, but may find there is less cash available than meets the eye.

The gun program consumes about $90-million a year in direct costs while a single campaign promise to hire an additional 1,000 Mounties would add $50-million to the federal payroll.

There are no cost estimates on campaign promises such as defending victims rights and improving gun safety.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Good for America Junior!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#4]
That is awesome!!!!  Go Canada!!!

I'll bet your press has a stroke trying to fight it though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That is awesome!!!!  Go Canada!!!

I'll bet your press has a stroke trying to fight it though.

Not the Sun. A very conservative paper that was against the registry from the start.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn good news!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Registry critic Garry Breitkreuz

He's been fighting a long time, no?

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#8]

The Conservative government has created a committee of two cabinet ministers and a backbencher to figure out how best to kill the long-gun registry as soon as possible.

easy.....ban the damn thing
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Go CANADA!!!

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]
There ya go... Now when you guys become the 51st state the hemisphere will be in order
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Hopefully welcome back to freedom!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Also when do you repeal the Liberal handgun ban?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#14]

END OF CANADIAN GUN REGISTRY IMMINENT

One about to go down, one more (handgun registry) to go.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Registry critic Garry Breitkreuz

He's been fighting a long time, no?

In the Canadian parliament, the cabinet members are chosen from elected ministers.

The opposition chooses a "critic" for each cabinet position, an "anti-cabinet" if you will. He was probably the critic in the last parliament.

I could be wrong here, he may not have previously elected, just the party's critic for the registry.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The Lieberals were not elected, thus there was no handgun ban.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

There is none. Handguns have been restricted since 1934.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#18]
They have background checks on gun purchases since '78(?) or so with the FAC. There shouldn't be anything tying it to the registration.

Note that the RCMP tossed all the FAC records, they didn't care who had FACs...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You know.. if you take the 13 providence in Canada and add it to the 50 states the US has, 63 stars in a 9 x 7 patten will fit quite well on our flag.

Oh, and go Canada!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Best wishes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks. I thought a handgun was passed recently
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You know.. if you take the 13 providence in Canada and add it to the 50 states the US has, 63 stars in a 9 x 7 patten will fit quite well on our flag.

But then we'd be stuck dealing with that whole French speaking/ independence  thing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But then we'd be stuck dealing with that whole French speaking/ independence  thing.

Let me see if 62 will fit....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, there is actually a Liberal handgun ban in place.

"12(6)" .25 and .32 caliber handguns with barrels under 4.14".

Owners who registered before 1995 are allowed to keep them, and buy/sell/trade among others in the same class. "Grandfathering clause".

Hopefully, Bretkreuz/Toews/Day will see their way to end this stupidity too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

skerb.org/pics/flag-us.gif

Oh, and go Canada!

Seriously, the US should buy Canada it would solve a lot of problems. Sell it for like 30B and give each Canadian 1M$.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Ottawa — The Conservative government has created a committee of two cabinet ministers and a backbencher to figure out how best to kill the long-gun registry as soon as possible.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Owners who registered before 1995 are allowed to keep them, and buy/sell/trade among others in the same class. "Grandfathering clause".

Can they???

I thought all that could be done was repeal the longun registry but all the handgun laws stay
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me see if 62 will fit....

No, keep it at 63. Mexico will be the 63rd in that case.......
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can they???

I thought all that could be done was repeal the longun registry but all the handgun laws stay

The only problem is they have a minority government or they could do whatever they want. As it is now, they need the BQ to sign on to what they want to do.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Gotcha.

Don't know much about the Canadian political system.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#32]
No, the Lieberals and N.D.P. are squealing because the conservatives aren't putting it to a vote in the commons, they're putting it through an "order in council" as was half of C-68 when introduced. They don't need to vote it. They could also just cut funding and let it die as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
No, the Lieberals and N.D.P. are squealing because the conservatives aren't putting it to a vote in the commons, they're putting it through an "order in council" as was half of C-68 when introduced. They don't need to vote it. They could also just cut funding and let it die as well.

So C-68 the registry was not voted on??
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can they???

The handgun registry will stay for the time being, but some of the stupider regs like banning small caliber/short barreled handguns can be done away with.

This is a big deal in Canada. These guns comprised about half of the registered handguns in the country. A lot of guys saw the value of their collections wiped out by the stroke of a pen when that ban came in back in '95, and they have been agitating to no avail since then.

But now a western economist, a couple of prairie farmers, and a Alberta evangelical seem to be ready to put an end to that
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Cool, didnt know that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can they???

The handgun registry will stay for the time being, but some of the stupider regs like banning small caliber/short barreled handguns can be done away with.

This is a big deal in Canada. These guns comprised about half of the registered handguns in the country. A lot of guys saw the value of their collections wiped out by the stroke of a pen when that ban came in back in '95, and they have been agitating to no avail since then.

But now a western economist, a couple of prairie farmers, and a Alberta evangelical seem to be ready to put an end to that

Dang!

Glad things seem to be looking up despite Wendy Kookier
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Congradulations Canada!

And good for every one of you sons of bitches who fought that thing for 10 years!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I hope everyone realizes how big this and what it means to all gunowners. First Brazil said no, now Canada and GB has some folks who realize the truth.

We have made gains here at home and we longer accept compromise as a solution, now we take back our rights.

This is great news!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

skerb.org/pics/flag-us.gif

Oh, and go Canada!

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!  But that means we'll have to suppress the Frenchies in State of Quebec.  OK guys, let's go and finish it off.   We'll send the Scouts instead of the Army.  I say we send a Boy Scout troop up to Canada to raise our flag and toot the bugle.  The Girl Scouts will go to sell cookies so as to raise funds for their bus trip up there.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:26:52 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

www.seykota.com/tribe/FAQ/2005_Feb/Feb_1/delete_key.jpg

Exactly. Problem Solved.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Congradulations Canada!

And good for every one of you sons of bitches who fought that thing for 10 years!

+ 1
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Delete key and a big magnet will take care of the computer records.

Half a dozen 55 gal drums in the back lot set up as "burn barrels" for the paperwork.  

A dozen gun owners, and a week or so burning paperwork, and it will be a done deal.

ETA:  The best part of that job would be to walk into the registry offices and announcing, "All of you are fired.  Get out, take nothing with you."
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Half a dozen 55 gal drums in the back lot set up as "burn barrels" for the paperwork.  

A dozen gun owners, and a week or so burning paperwork, and it will be a done deal.

ETA:  The best part of that job would be to walk into the registry offices and announcing, "All of you are fired.  Get out, take nothing with you."

A billion Canadian dollars wasted
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#45]
GOOD! Hmmm.....maybe I COULD live in the North West territories AND keep my guns...hmmmm
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A billion Canadian dollars wasted

True, but we'll be saving approx 125 million a year that the registery currently costs to run. Hopefully the new Conservative gov't can trash a few of the older Backdoor Liberal gun bans that only allowed grandfathered owners to own firearms like the AK series, the HK9(x) series, the FN FAL etc.... and maybe even de-restrict the AR series...... wooot!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#47]
LMAO
Believe it when I see it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#50]
I see this as a serious problem.... and I hope the registration stays in place.  In fact, I hope they increase restrictions on private gun ownership in Canada.... if not completely ban all weapons.

With that many Canadians freely buying and selling long guns.... I think it will make it THAT much more difficult when we invade and take over Canada.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top