Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 10:41:56 AM EDT
SITREP:

I saw an auction on Gunbroker.com for some packaged milsurp ammo at a good price and bought it. In the auction the seller didn't put any requirements for the purcahse. After the auction closed the seller sent me an e-mail saying that he needs a copy of my photo ID. I'm more than a little leary of sending someone on the internet a copy of my DL. The seller has more than 600 positive feedbacks.

What do y'all think? should I send him a photocopy of my DL or tell him to take a hike?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#1]
back out...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#2]
blank out the pic, blank out the license number, let him verify your addy and birthday
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never been comfortable with that practice.

Until I no longer have any other options, I'll pass on any vendor who requires I send my ID in, for whatever reason. Lots of places sell ammo with no ID required. Try sportsmansguide.com
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#4]
If that was not listed as a requirement on the auction page I would tell him no and if he did not like that I would tell him to keep the ammo.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Try sportsmansguide.com

They may surprise you as well as to where they will ship.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#6]
The guy is simply making sure you aren't 12.

Explain to him you are uncomfortable with the DL photocopy and see if you can come to some kind of mutually accepted way of proving your age.

If YOU were the seller, wouldn't you want to cover your ass?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Explain to him you are uncomfortable with the DL photocopy and see if you can come to some kind of mutually accepted way of proving your age.

If I were the seller I would want to cover my ass... but I would be up front on my requirements. It is not OK to start adding requirements AFTER you make a sale.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#8]
just explain that you're uncomfortable with it, and ask him to specify "adult signature required" with the delivery service.  USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL all have this available, usually at no extra charge or, if there is a charge, it's a buck or two.  offer to cover the added expense, if any.  this should be a mutually agreeable compromise for the situation.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Probably.

I'm not saying that I blame the guy, but you can't say that you blame me either (I hope).

BTW...he said a DL with the license # blacked out would be fine.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I were the seller I would want to cover my ass... but I would be up front on my requirements. It is not OK to start adding requirements AFTER you make a sale.

And I agree. Perhaps there wasn't enough space. I don't know.

But I also think two grown men should be able to come up with SOMETHING they are both agreeable to.

This is the kind of thing that got me out of the biz. There is just a "pettiness" in the gun industry. And it is on both sides and I could see myself becoming the "Grouchy Old Gun Dealer" and I have no interest in being that guy.

One would "think" we'd all realize we are part of a respected tradition and culture and act accordingly. Sadly that isn't the case. I've seen cops and gang members with more inclination to work together.

In the gun biz any little thing goes wrong and it's "You're a fucking asshole ripoff dealer" and "You are a cheap pain in my ass nickle and diming customer." In some instaces they are right, in far too many they are just being unreasonable.

Out of habit I even did the same thing to Ed Sr. He sent me some SEBR rifles without invoices indicated customer info and out of habit (I do deal with some morons) I sent him a terse email requesting the info. He simply emailed me a list of customer names and serial numbers and basically told me to calm down. Rather than get offended, he simply resolved the issue. And it made me feel like a jackass for simply not just sending him a polite request in the first place.

I guess it's kinda like being a cop, you deal with 20 dickheads every day and after a year EVERYONE is a dickhead, including you.

And I've been rather fortunate. I don't run a big commerical operation. I deal primarily with decent folks and a small minority of idiots STILL managed to get the best of me from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably.

I'm not saying that I blame the guy, but you can't say that you blame me either (I hope).

BTW...he said a DL with the license # blacked out would be fine.

I don't blame you either. And it seems you already reached a reasonable accomodation.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If that was not listed as a requirement on the auction page I would tell him no and if he did not like that I would tell him to keep the ammo.

Right you are!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I agree. Perhaps there wasn't enough space. I don't know.

But I also think two grown men should be able to come up with SOMETHING they are both agreeable to.

This is the kind of thing that got me out of the biz. There is just a "pettiness" in the gun industry. And it is on both sides and I could see myself becoming the "Grouchy Old Gun Dealer" and I have no interest in being that guy.

One would "think" we'd all realize we are part of a respected tradition and culture and act accordingly. Sadly that isn't the case. I've seen cops and gang members with more inclination to work together.

In the gun biz any little thing goes wrong and it's "You're a fucking asshole ripoff dealer" and "You are a cheap pain in my ass nickle and diming customer." In some instaces they are right, in far too many they are just being unreasonable.

Out of habit I even did the same thing to Ed Sr. He sent me some SEBR rifles without invoices indicated customer info and out of habit (I do deal with some morons) I sent him a terse email requesting the info. He simply emailed me a list of customer names and serial numbers and basically told me to calm down. Rather than get offended, he simply resolved the issue. And it made me feel like a jackass for simply not just sending him a polite request in the first place.

I guess it's kinda like being a cop, you deal with 20 dickheads every day and after a year EVERYONE is a dickhead, including you.

And I've been rather fortunate. I don't run a big commerical operation. I deal primarily with decent folks and a small minority of idiots STILL managed to get the best of me from time to time.

Oh I understand where you are coming from… but IMO motown_steve was under no obligation to meet unannounced requirements after the sale, he could do what he wanted in good conscience.

They worked it out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Oh I understand where you are coming from… but IMO motown_steve was under no obligation to meet unannounced requirements after the sale, he could do what he wanted in good conscience.

They worked it out.

And as I stated, I agree. And yes, the important thing is they both decided to be grown ups and simply worked it out. If only that was always the case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top