Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 9:53:02 AM EDT
I'm thinking about putting together a small private investigation service. Are there any licenses I need to get or anything I need to do to become one? I was considereing doing this on my own, starting off gaining information on cheating spouses. Following, taking pictures, etc. Anybody know anything?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Have gun, will travel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#2]
 In Michigan, you apply for a license through the Michigan State Police.

In florida you go here

What kind of investigator are you going to be if you can't figure out how to google ?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#3]
A red Ferrari and a buddy with a chopper.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends. In Georgia you have to be a former LEO, unless I misread the website.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget the curly hair, tight bluejeans, mustache, and an abundance of Hawaiian shirts.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#6]
You'll have to check with regards to being licensed in the State of Florida.  Not sure if your state requires it.

Here in NY one becomes licensed with either a background in LE, or by 'working' under a licensed PI for a minimum of 3 years.

Be careful of starting out on your own, before you check those license requirements.

Has its ups and down - matrimonials suck in my opinion - either you catch someone or even if you don't, its hard to 'please' the client.  Might want to look into gearing a business towards witness statements, insurance claims, criminal defense, auto accident scene reconstruction, workers comp claims, skip tracing, bounty hunting.

Downside, its not like Magnum PI - No hot chicks, no helicopters, or fast cars.  If you enjoy sitting in a car for 8 hours or more in 100+ degree heat, tinted windows sweating your balls off fighting off a migrane you'll love it

Feels good to nab someone, or nail'em in a statement you've obtained.  Pay is sometimes hard to get even from lawyers and insurance companies.

Try it, you just might like it though - just be sure to check out those requirements in your state.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Depends. In Georgia you have to be a former LEO, unless I misread the website.

You misread it.  Anyone can become a PI in GA provided they pass all the background and the state exams.  But, you have to have a licensed PI company "sponsor" you.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Mid-70s beige Camaro.  Tom Selleck got his start on Rockford Files.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top