Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 5:46:25 AM EDT
Barbecuing vs. Grilling: Many people become confused when distinguishing the difference between barbecuing and grilling.

There can be various interpretations of the term “barbecue” around the world. In some cases, barbecuing is used to describe a social gathering and cooking outdoors. Although some people use the term barbecue to describe the grilling of food, barbecuing isn’t grilling. Barbecuing requires the use of special equipment to slow-cook meat, using wood smoke to add flavor. To barbecue, you cook by using indirect heat or low-level radiant heat at lower temperatures and longer cooking times.

Grilling takes place when you cook over direct heat, usually a hot fire, for a short time. Primarily, the distinction between barbecuing and grilling is the heat level and the intensity of the radiant heat. It’s the smoke from the burning wood that gives barbecue its unique flavor.

The longer cooking times used while barbecuing stems from techniques involving the tough, less expensive cuts of meat that must be cooked until they become tender. For instance, brisket comes from the breast area of a steer and tends to be very tough. This is also true for pork shoulders. Long, slow cooking helps tenderize these cuts of meat. In most cases, grilling has become the fashionable way to cook.

Grilling is convenient and takes less time than barbecuing. You can grill using charcoal or by using a gas grill. Since charcoal produces smoke and heat, the two mix together to give your food a better flavor. Gas grills use a clean fuel that doesn’t really produce smoke.

Of course, this is just the tip of the ole iceberg - you have dry rub, wet, the different types of sauces (tomato, mustard based, etc.), and much more.

Whichever method you prefer - just get out there and enjoy!

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#1]
That looks delicious.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:01:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:02:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That looks delicious.

Barbecue sauce is for savages though. so a -1 on that.

Meat does not need sauce. It's people like you that make it damn near impossible to get a good peice of barbeque that isn't slathered in some syrupy goop.

It's a tool of the devil, I tell you. If you need sauces or glazes, you didn't cook it right.

JMHO of course though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
www.unifac.com/altorfer/smartchart.jpg

What's wrong with it?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:04:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

AMEN and AWOB!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:06:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually, smoking and grilling are two different types of barbecuing.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I prefer to BBQ....low coals, long time, nice smoke flavor in the meat. As far as sauce, I agree....good meat doesnt need sauce....just a nice dry rub before it gets put on the fire.
For ribs I like to dip in sauce when I eat them....but I rarely put sauce on them when I BBQ.

Grilling is what I do when I make hotdogs and hamburgers.

If you are BBQ'ing and it takes less than an hour to cook your meat, you grilled it!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#8]
In true ARFCOM fashion, I got both!

I love to grill, and I am starting to BBQ.  I got an upright smoker.  I've made ribs a couple of times, now.  2nd was better than the 1st.  I know it will be better next time!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Dry Rub RULES!!!

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:27:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Actually, smoking and grilling are two different types of barbecuing.  

It may be a regional dialect thing, but around here, that's wrong.

Barbeque (noun) - a food made by slow-cooking meat at low temps for a long period of time using hardwood smoke as a flavorant.  Usually made using pork shoulders, hams, and ribs and beef briskets and ribs.

Barbeque (verb) - The act of making barbeque.

If what comes out of your cooking gear isn't barbeque, then you didn't barbeque.

(For making barbeque, I find that brining the meat for a few hours before cooking it makes it a hell of a lot more juicy and flavorful.)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Dry Rub RULES!!!

It hurts my pee pee.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:34:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dry Rub RULES!!!

It hurts my pee pee.

You're putting the dry-rub on the wrong meat!  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:39:00 AM EDT
[#13]
So, where does a Mongolian BBQ fit in your definition? It's done on a flat grill, no?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So, where does a Mongolian BBQ fit in your definition? It's done on a flat grill, no?

I chalk that up to a "lost in translation" thing.  It looks more like a Mongolian Griddle to me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Truth be told
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Some of the things we can argue about on ARFCOM.

Oh, MarkM.......LMAO.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#18]
wrong thread
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I chalk that up to a "lost in translation" thing.  It looks more like a Mongolian Griddle to me.

Mongolian griddle...  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#22]

BBQ  Because vegans are pussies.

+87
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top