Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 9:55:02 PM EDT
Will this get rid of viruses?  My computer has been crashing a lot in the last 3-4 months and has started with just the desktop backround (but no icons or taskbars) several times in the past two weeks.  The desktop backround also changed shape a week or two ago.  I have Ad-Aware, Spybot, & AVG Free, but it is just getting incrimentally worse.  

Will returning the computer to "factory settings" solve these problems?

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
"factory settings"

Is tech support lingo for and system reload.

Yes, it often helps a bunch with a condition known as "bit rot"

As you use your computer you accumulate cruft from installed programs, plugins, disk write errors, driver hickups... you name it.

A fdisk/format/reload cures all the above.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you have that scummy "Spy Sheriff" bullshit, if it changed your desktop background.

Get the Microsoft Anti-Spyware, as well......  It works.  (Used to be Giant Anti-Spyware, before MS bought the program)

Get it here and you don't have to deal with the MS validation annoying BS, on their site.

If it's been a couple years since you've installed Windows or the computer was brand new, you might do well to backup all your important stuff, just wipe the drive and reinstall....  Or get someone who knows how, to help you do it, so you don't lose anything irreplaceable.

After a while, things just get 'messy' and a fresh reinstall is like having a brand new computer again.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If it's been a couple years since you've installed Windows or the computer was brand new, you might do well to backup all your important stuff, just wipe the drive and reinstall....  Or get someone who knows how, to help you do it, so you don't lose anything irreplaceable.

After a while, things just get 'messy' and a fresh reinstall is like having a brand new computer again.

+1

I do it every 6 months to a year.  It's 2 hours of annoyance (getting drives wiped, windows reinstalled, and needed programs reinstalled), but well worth it.  Feels like a new computer again.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate the input guys, I'll try that this weekend.  I do have the MS anti-spyware too btw.

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
HP and Dell both have a keysequence durring bootup that will give you the option to set the software up exactly as it shipped from factory.  This will wipe all data files, you will have to do any software upgrades from the microsoft site again, and all other upgrades/downloads of software you did.

Do I get that from Dell, or is the sequence fairly common knowledge (i.e. any computer store knows it).

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Get the Microsoft Anti-Spyware, as well......  It works.  (Used to be Giant Anti-Spyware, before MS bought the program)

As of this week Microsoft Anti-Spyware is no longer Microsoft Anti-Spyware… it is Windows Defender and is now in a new Beta 2 release.

www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top