Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 5:07:12 PM EDT
My boots are worn out and I am ready to replace them. I usually get a year out of $150 dollar Rockys, not treating them at all, hosing them off from time to time, moreso when newer.

I am looking at Danners or Red Wings this time, and am going to invest a little more into protecting them. We have a guy I work with who is getting 3 years out of his Red Wings.

The problem is concrete is very hard on leather. It eats through it quickly, with the same visiousness that it burns the skin with.

What say you? I know the best treatment can be found riht among these pages.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
tag cause I'm curious too
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Oil tanned or polished?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ray Holes Saddle Butter.

There's a brokeback mountain joke in there somewhere...

I think armor all makes a leather protector lotion...not sure if it will protect against cement though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#5]
talk to the guys at the redwing store,
i have a pair of irish setters, (712's i think) that i bought in 87 or 88, and worked in them for about 5 years straight, they sold me some silicone stuff for the tops, and i used redwing oil (?)(looked like CLP) to keep the uppers pliable
they are currently my outdoor cold weather whatever boots, look like shit but are still waterproof (up to about 6-7inches deep)

i used to be a butcher (as in meat cutter/journeymnan meat cutter)
blood and the cleaning chemicals we used are tough on leather

not sure if that will help with concrete,  but the shop i deal with would rebuild almost any part of the boot,
HTH
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Click Here for the very best in leather protectant. It's great stuff & I use it on my wildland boots along with all my other leather boots and gear.

One ya use Obenauf's ya will realize nothing comes close
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top