Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 5:05:22 PM EDT
I'm moving to an area where DSL and Cable are not available. I refuse to go to satellite. So, what's the next thing  coming in broadband? BPL? (broadband over power lines)  When will it be here?

Kris
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
FIOS?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Fiber optic.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#3]
BPL....they also have broadband wireless in some areas. I'm in ND and they've got it, so it's gotta be otu there other places
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
BPL....they also have broadband wireless in some areas. I'm in ND and they've got it, so it's gotta be otu there other places

One county in Michigan is starting to experiment with wireless, but nowhere near me. I haven't seen anything about BPL being available either. Is this available only in some locations? Does it take a lot to impliment I wonder?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
FIOS?

That's what I'm looking for.  Verizon is stringing fiber in my neighborhood and expect to do underground customers next year.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Riley, Kansas is going to Fiber. My brother is a lucky SOB.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]
BPL won't happen any time soon - trials underway sure but no widespread adoption is scheduled anywhere to my knowledge (btw BPL seems to piss the Ham guys off like nothing else) - never mind the fact that no power companies are set up to provide the bandwidth it would take to support a community , plus the small coops that provide elec service in rural america arn't the type of folks you want running your broadband

Wireless - nothing on the horizion that will provide rural service - (southish states - pine trees - see Websters on "How to Stop Wireless Signals") also keep in mind the fact that you need bandwidth to support broadband and well not many companines are set up or can be set up for that in rural america

until Fiber to the house is a universal service type arrangment rural america for the most part is going to be broadband free

I'd love to be proven wrong though
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Hell, the telco's and ISP's better get on the ball and start getting more DSL and Cable access for more customers.  There is no reason that every person with cable or a telco line couldn't have DSL or cable access.  The only reason they don't do it is because they have to upgrade their shitty systems.

Wireless sucks in most situations.

T1 is the best for internet access.
DSL is second best.
Cable is third.
All others are at the bottom, including wireless.

But in ND, you get what you can get.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#10]
FiOS.  Run a consistent 15.5 / 2.3.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope BPL dies a slow (or rather quick) painful death.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

But in ND, you get what you can get.  

Mindrot's got DSL, Cable, and wireless broadband.  I'm sure a T1 woudln't be hard, but prolly pricey. Also, they jsut ran fiber not too long ago, but it's not hooked up yet.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Heh, heh.. cable is faster than T1.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Heh, heh.. cable is faster than T1.

No. it's not.  Cable is a shared medium.  You share your bandwidth with all your neighbors.  T1 gives you dedicated bandwidth, just like DSL does.  DSL is the fastest if you can get it, up to 7 Mbps.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
FiOS.  Run a consistent 15.5 / 2.3.

I want that!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:45:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Cable is fine till you get someone like me on the loop

Fiber is the end all be all but the motivation for the Telco's ain't there - folks will pay 80 bucks a month of 6mb down 768k up

And well yeah I'm bitter I'd pay 150 a month for 1.5mb down 256up

I'm 10 miles out of the city(that has DSL btw) live on a major highway, have no cable service and bellsouth is about as interested in providing me with broadband as I am in doing brain surgery
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top