Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 4:13:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Has anyone put Wolf on strippers for storage? I'm concerned that the strippers might scrape the coating off, presenting a possible rust/corrosion problem.

Put them on then take them off, and inspect the case for laquer damage.

Store in low humidity.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
STORE Wolf?  

Like, why?  Its plinking ammo.  Open a fresh box as needed.

Store on clips  (edit: meant strippers).  phhhhht.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
This boggles me... Get a lula and an ammo can. Buy a case of wolf, rip it off the plastic holders and into the ammo can. No garbage (cept casings) when you shoot and the paper/cans can wait while you load up with a lula.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm pretty sure Wolf ammo killed my mother.

I hate wolf ammo.

I mention that Wolf killed my mother because it has roughly the same
truthfullness quotient as it jamming up every little girl-gun on the board
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]

who said anything in this thread about it not working in their gun?

I usually clip all my ammo just because it is a hell of alot faster to reload mags with strippers. I can clip up the ammo anytime; like while watching TV or while surfing ARFCOM. This way I get to spend more time shooting rather than single loading a magazine.

might as well spend that TV time loading mags rather than strippers.  You DO have more than one magazine, right?

In truth, it probably does not matter.  maybe for long term storage, but it sounds like you are just loading up for a shooting session that will happen within the next week or too.  Its not like a little corrosion pitting is going to affect the LCF life of the cases.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

who said anything in this thread about it not working in their gun?

I usually clip all my ammo just because it is a hell of alot faster to reload mags with strippers. I can clip up the ammo anytime; like while watching TV or while surfing ARFCOM. This way I get to spend more time shooting rather than single loading a magazine.

might as well spend that TV time loading mags rather than strippers.  You DO have more than one magazine, right?

In truth, it probably does not matter.  maybe for long term storage, but it sounds like you are just loading up for a shooting session that will happen within the next week or too.  Its not like a little corrosion pitting is going to affect the LCF life of the cases.

If there is the word "Wolf" in the title....It will happen man.  I think you know that.  I thought I'd jump in first
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]
oh, just say IBTWB   (wolf bashers).

But yeah, I know what ya mean.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This boggles me... Get a lula and an ammo can. Buy a case of wolf, rip it off the plastic holders and into the ammo can. No garbage (cept casings) when you shoot and the paper/cans can wait while you load up with a lula.

good luck finding this
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good luck finding this

WOLF does make more than just 7.62x39 YA KNOW!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't normally shoot Wolf .223, but I make sure all my ARs CAN shoot Wolf. If they can't, I try to loosen up the sliding surfaces with more shooting or polishing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had WOlf 7.62x39 on stripped in a Chicom Sks bandoleer vest stored in my basement for about 5 years with no sign of corrosion.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I too like to fill stripper clips with Wolf. I also have an abundant supply of 30 round mags, but greatly prefer using my more limited supply of 20's. Besides, carrying around my stash of mags would require a lot of room, consist of much additional weight.....and besides, my rifle needs a chance to cool off abit now-n-then. So, using strippers means less weight/bulk to carry and are convenient to re-fill mags when in the field or at the range. I also have a Lula & find it great to download a mag to clean ammo that has gotten damp or dirty. Never had a problem with (poly) Wolf cartridges corroding, 'course I carefully maintain my ammo / mags / weapon....it's a system highly dependent on each component.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 3K of 7.62x39 of Wolf on 10rd stripper clips for my SKS's, and another 2K still in the plastic wraps/boxes.  I'm lucky to get 1,000 rounds of plinking a year, so it's basically my SHTF/storage ammo.  No problems at all as of yet.  I got the stripper clips from AIM surplus, and about 8 out of 10 feed flawlessly, the other 2 will get a snag here and there.  They're so cheap, I just toss the ones that don't feed well and keep buying more.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:43:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have had WOlf 7.62x39 on stripped in a Chicom Sks bandoleer vest stored in my basement for about 5 years with no sign of corrosion.

Same here.   No problems.   200 rounds on stripper clips in bandoleers and another 200 rounds on stripper clips in ammo can.   The other 200 rounds are boxed.

Edit:  Stripper clips just make sense for SKS owners.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Stored inside the house so it wont rust

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1   I clip everything
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

tacoma4x4.no-ip.com/AR15s/200601/762x39%20(0).jpg

Outstanding!

Is that Silver Bear with the light colored cases?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tacoma4x4.no-ip.com/AR15s/200601/762x39%20(0).jpg

Outstanding!

Is that Silver Bear with the light colored cases?

yup!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Stripper clips just make sense for SKS owners.  

I think stripper clips make sense for anyone with sense

Stripper clips for the SKS are nice.

I have loaded some with Wolf polymer coated 7.62, and haven't noticed any problems.  The coating is hard, and not easy to scratch.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Stripper clips for the SKS are nice.

I have loaded some with Wolf polymer coated 7.62, and haven't noticed any problems.  The coating is hard, and not easy to scratch.  

The most a stripper clip will scratch is the rim, maybe parts the surface parts of the head (the primer end), which doesn't affect the pressure capacity of the case anyway.   Sides of the case and the internal web of the case would be problematic
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#26]
belive it or not, I once left a clip of 7.62x39 wolf on stripper clip outside. Not for just a few months either, Over a year. It layed on top of a junk pile next to the shooting range. I have pics somewhere...They all fired
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#27]
If loading the same ammo twice pleases you, go for it.   Personally I try the LESSEN the amount of trash I take to the range.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Stripping ammo gives you a good chance to inspect it before shooting it as well.  I dont know about you guys, but I like to take a look at my ammo.  99.99999% of ammo is good, but that .0000001% that is bad could lead to a kaboom, and that costs significantly more than whatever your time is worth to strip your ammo.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If loading the same ammo twice pleases you, go for it.   Personally I try the LESSEN the amount of trash I take to the range.

Explain how taking your ammo on stripper clips to the range increases the trash?

maybe he throws his clips away, I don't and I clip wolf, well I used to I just got a lula so I don't know what I'm going to do with all those clips
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I have done some experiments with the Polymer coated Wolf.  If I put it in my shirt pocket for a few hours or rub it in my hands then put it away, in a few days the case has begun to rust.  The Polymer coating rubs off VERY easily.  But if you store it in proper conditions, it shouldn't rust.

Oh and this is 7.62X39 for my SKS, I wouldn't use it for anything else.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
belive it or not, I once left a clip of 7.62x39 wolf on stripper clip outside. Not for just a few months either, Over a year. It layed on top of a junk pile next to the shooting range. I have pics somewhere...They all fired

What kinda shape were they in? Were they more corroded around the stripper rail?

really rough. I will try to find pics as memory fails, I remember they all functioned in my SAR1 and the case necks on some of them split IIRC.....hmmm off to try to find pics

ETA I cant find the disc that they are on at this time. If I do ever find them, I will post them
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#35]
The only problem I've had was with brand new virgin stripper clips from Sarge's.  The Wolf was really tough getting onto the clips, and impossible to get stripped into a mag.

XM193 and IMI worked fine on these new clips, but Wolf was a pain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top