Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 1:57:53 PM EDT
Hi guys,
I've got a Browning BAR Rifle Type 2.  It's a steel receiver without a bolt catch, Serial number 137 PX XXXXX, manufactured in 1983.  I cannot figure out how to remove the bolt assembly (bolt, bolt sleeve, and bolt cover).  I've gotten everything else out of the rifle, including the trigger group, but I cannot figure out how to get that bolt out.  Anyone know how?  I have the Telescope Mount Filler Screws removed as well.  It looks like I have to remove the Operating Handle, but I just don't see any roll pins or anything holding it in place.

I'm taking it apart for a thorough cleaning because it's been rode hard and put up wet.  The recoil buffer is shot and needs to be replaced.  Plus the recoil spring is badly corroded so I'm replacing that as well.  The Gas Regulator is rusted as too.

Another Question: This rifle is a 270 Win.  Will using a Gas Regulator from a 30-06 make it cycle harder or softer?  I noticed there are Gas Regulator's for every caliber, and I thought if I had any problems with cycling I could switch to a Gas Regulator from a 280 or 30-06.

Thanx in advance for the help,
txgp17

ETA - You can refer to this page for any part descriptions if you need: BAR part list
And here is a BAR schematic
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't mention your owners manual. Where is it? Browning will supply one free of charge if you call them. It should have the info you need.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You don't mention your owners manual. Where is it? Browning will supply one free of charge if you call them. It should have the info you need.

Good luck!

Thanx Bob,
The truth is I'm going beyond what my owner's manual suggests, so there isn't any help beyond removing and cleaning the gas piston system.  It doesn't have any info on receiver parts.  I'm taking it completely apart and cleaning, lubing, and replacing any worn or corroded parts.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
OK to remove the bolt handle.. Slide the bolt shroud forward. Look on the front the bolt handle and you will see a small lever on the front of it. take a small screw driver and lift it towards you. at the same time slide the handle froward and out of the bolt carrier.

I love ar15.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top