Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/14/2006 1:01:24 PM EDT
Who has seen this on the form you fill out when you go to the doctor?
Why the hell do they ask this?

I go through a few pages of medical history information...alergies, past conditions, family medical history.....that all makes perfect sense, as it directly affects why I might be sitting in a doctors office. What the hell does my having a weapon at home have to do with me having stomach cramps and a fever?  

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask the Doctor!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]
We just made it illegal here in VA for Dr's to ask that
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You need a new doctor.  My primary care physician not only couldn't care less, he has one in the office and knows that I am packing every time I go there.  He usually asks which one I am carrying that day.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have guns in the home then you will be exposed to harmful chemicals used to clean them.

BAN GUNS!!  Do it for your health!  

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I talked my Dr. into buying an M1 Garand from the CMP.  Later I convinced him he needed a M1903A3.    On other Dr.s paperwork I just leave it blank.  If you are offended Write " Fuck Yeah" in the blank.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Write in "Thats none of your business...do you like a dick in your ass?"
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife took my son (eight years old) to the Dr. for his annual check up.  The Dr. asked my son if there were any guns in the house and if he knew where they were.  My son looked at his mom for a moment than turned to back to the Dr. and said "I'm not supposed to tell"  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

First time I laughed out loud in days!
I just may do this.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First time I laughed out loud in days!
I just may do this.

Happy to help!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#10]
This is the first I've heard of this occurring on adult patient questionnaires.  I recall that last year when my wife was seeking a new pediatrician, the same question was on my son’s patient questionnaire.  I am concerned with what may be done with this information.  For example, and maybe this is a bit of paranoia, should the political climate sway further left, some folks from Child Protective Services may gain access to such information, and then one day appear on your doorstep.  It might be deemed that the firearm is hazardous to the child’s health… etc.  I would expect HIPPA laws to protect such info but under the mantra of “saving the children” from evil firearms, maybe not.  I told my wife to answer “no” to any questions not related to our son’s health.  “No” to smoking, guns, alcohol, etc.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This one doc I went to (not my PC) had that on the form and I wrote "noneya".  When the nurse asked me what that meant, I told her it meant "none of your damn business".  She almost fell in the floor from laughing so hard.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Isn't a gun slang for penis?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#13]
"Several . . . and one on my belt, and two in the car, and several buried in the backyard."

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

i just wrote a paper on gun ownership and personal security for my psych class, and ran across some scientific literature that did studies wether or not MDs should ask their patients about this...

the *reason* behind it is certain studies (biased i might add) have shown that suicide rates and homicide rates jump dramtically within a home that has firearms.

And other studies have also linked (weakly I will add again) that there is a sub population of gun owners that are linked to heavy alcoholism and personality defects that create instability in the househould..

once again, all studies had their flaws..
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#15]
They ask because that what the FP college has mandated.  I personally have my CCW weapon at work.  I have known more then one doc get shot and get killed at work.  

But its not an antigun question.  Its a safety question.  Because the if the doc follows up on it properly, he will ask, do you have locks, are the mags away from the pistol, are the guns accessible to kids etc.

Not everyone that asks about your guns is antigun.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I like to put down "hundreds".
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This is the first I've heard of this occurring on adult patient questionnaires.  I recall that last year when my wife was seeking a new pediatrician, the same question was on my son’s patient questionnaire.  I am concerned with what may be done with this information.  For example, and maybe this is a bit of paranoia, should the political climate sway further left, some folks from Child Protective Services may gain access to such information, and then one day appear on your doorstep.  It might be deemed that the firearm is hazardous to the child’s health… etc.  I would expect HIPPA laws to protect such info but under the mantra of “saving the children” from evil firearms, maybe not.  I told my wife to answer “no” to any questions not related to our son’s health.  “No” to smoking, guns, alcohol, etc.  

HIPPA aside, doesn't the patriot act give the gov't access to your health records?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Just say no. They don't need to know.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I was under the impression that such a question was now considered to be unethical, I will have to find the cite.

NDBBM.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#21]
My doctor is fucking nuts. He hunt deer with a TC Encore, caliber 30-30. He is more a man than I am!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#22]
IIRC, it is an AMA/AAP-sanctioned offshoot of the "ASK Campaign," which itself is supported by & partnered with the AAP.  A broad-based effort was made to get all pediatricians to engage in such propaganda routinely.  Thankfully, DRGO and similar groups exposed/resisted this.  Unfortunately, some docs were all too eager to drink the kool-aid...

http://www.paxusa.org/ask/index.html  (Please leave the link cold.)

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#23]

They ask because that what the FP college has mandated. I personally have my CCW weapon at work. I have known more then one doc get shot and get killed at work.

But its not an antigun question. Its a safety question. Because the if the doc follows up on it properly, he will ask, do you have locks, are the mags away from the pistol, are the guns accessible to kids etc.

It is still none of  DR's business. He is not charged or paid to be a safety NAZI. Do they ask if you run with sissors? Do they ask if you waited 30 minutes after eating to go swimming? Do they ask if there is a child restraint seat in your car?

Gun questions are not their lane!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#24]
"No, my gun is currently at the doctor's office helping me fill out paperwork..."
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't put down anything that is not related to an ongoing medical condition, medicine I take, or exposure to something I believe might be relevant. On anything else I leave it blank, and if asked, I just tell them it's none of your or the AMAs business.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i just wrote a paper on gun ownership and personal security for my psych class, and ran across some scientific literature that did studies wether or not MDs should ask their patients about this...

the *reason* behind it is certain studies (biased i might add) have shown that suicide rates and homicide rates jump dramtically within a home that has firearms.

And other studies have also linked (weakly I will add again) that there is a sub population of gun owners that are linked to heavy alcoholism and personality defects that create instability in the househould..

once again, all studies had their flaws..

Two words: Kellerman/Reay.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
They ask because that what the FP college has mandated.  I personally have my CCW weapon at work.  I have known more then one doc get shot and get killed at work.  

But its not an antigun question.  Its a safety question.  Because the if the doc follows up on it properly, he will ask, do you have locks, are the mags away from the pistol, are the guns accessible to kids etc.

Uhh...You do realize that is how it is packaged right?
Anti-gun laws are passed as safety laws.
They are trying to make the items I highlighted in red law.
I.e. you must have locks on your guns, mags stored sepreatly, etc.
None of that increases safety, and if it does, what buisness is it of theirs?
Sadly, you seem to have bought into the bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#28]
The correct answer is "I had guns before my tragic boating accident."
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I was under the impression that such a question was now considered to be unethical, I will have to find the cite.

NDBBM.

It is considered a "boundary violation", but my wife's employers (she's a physician who works for a hospital here in Massachusetts) force her to ask it as part of her job. She often, umm....ignores the question, (citing hurried, overscheduled conditions) and lately, there has been little if any question from highers-up as to why she isn't marking down the answer on the forms for her patients in her questionnaires.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#30]
My Pc doc asked this as a formality but he new since a reload ammo for him once in a while, he wrote not applicable on the form since technically they are stored in my work shop.
As for other doc's it is either 'none of your business' or 'Not nearly enough'.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NDBBM.

It is considered a "boundary violation", but my wife's employers (she's a physician who works for a hospital here in Massachusetts) force her to ask it as part of her job. She often, umm....ignores the question, (citing hurried, overscheduled conditions) and lately, there has been little if any question from highers-up as to why she isn't marking down the answer on the forms for her patients in her questionnaires.

That was the term I was looking for -

Type "medical question guns unethical"  into Google, there is some good info on the subject.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Go to this site:
http://www.americanselfdefense.com/articles.asp

Go to the "Doctors Practice Form For Patients" and take it with you if you want to put the "DOC" in his place.

I had this question crap happen to me with my daughter during her physical about 4 years ago. We did not answer his questions about guns since I told him it had nothing to do with her physical. The a**hole wrote down that there were guns in the house! I walked over to the clip board while he was checking out the daughter in the same room, read what he put down, lined it out and initialed it with a contact phone number if they had any problems.

I wsh I had this form at that time.

RW3
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
My doctor is fucking nuts. He hunt deer with a TC Encore, caliber 30-30. He is more a man than I am!

Doctors here as a group utterly abhor guns. If any have them, they either keep their mouths shut, or are trap/skeet shooters.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Question - "Is there a gun in your home?"

Answer - "No"

Real Answer - "I have multiple guns in my home and at least one on me now."

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#35]

"Why, do you have one for sale?"
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn, they haven't taught us that one yet...hics

Go to this site:
http://www.americanselfdefense.com/articles.asp

Go to the "Doctors Practice Form For Patients" and take it with you if you want to put the "DOC" in his place.

I had this question crap happen to me with my daughter during her physical about 4 years ago. We did not answer his questions about guns since I told him it had nothing to do with her physical. The a**hole wrote down that there were guns in the house! I walked over to the clip board while he was checking out the daughter in the same room, read what he put down, lined it out and initialed it with a contact phone number if they had any problems.

I wsh I had this form at that time.

RW3

The sad thing is... I can already pick out the students in my class that will one day be that asshole. heir
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#37]
mine asks too - I do not even answer a question that I do not think they need to know...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The correct answer is "I had guns before my tragic boating accident."

Or, "Yes, I have guns.  But I'm considering getting a boat soon."
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#39]
About four years ago, a Navy O-6 doc was interviewing us about the boy.  He asked that question, I politely told him it was none of his business and that we would not discuss that matter.

You should have seen the look on that captain's face!  He wasn't used to being told NO!  

He stomped out to compose himself.  After a couple of minutes, he returned and apologized.  I explained my rights and assured him that IF there were any firearms in our home, they would be secure from the boy.

He said it was a standard question that they had to ask.  I told him that it was still none of their business.

End of discussion.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Guns?

I don't have room for one of them things, much less room for the battle ship in which to attach it to.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Holy shit!!  They've discovered ARF.com!  We're busted!!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#42]
correct answer: NYFB
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#43]

I don't ask my patients, but when I find out in conversation they do shoot, I try to fit them with some custom ear plugs.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:07:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Apologize, but state they're only loaded when the voices in you head warn you of  and impending medical crisis!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#45]
When a Dr. informed me that having a firearm in the home increased my chances of being killed or wounded by gunfire,  I asked him if having running water increased my chances of drowning;  after that he stuck to to medical matters.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Do you have a gun in the home?

Reply: Not right now. I take it whenever I leave.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
When a Dr. informed me that having a firearm in the home increased my chances of being killed or wounded by gunfire,  I asked him if  having running water increased my chances of drowning  going to a doctor increased the chances of being killed by malpractice;  after that he stuck to to medical matters.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#48]

"no"

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Doctors here as a group utterly abhor guns. If any have them, they either keep their mouths shut, or are trap/skeet shooters.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

They ask because that what the FP college has mandated. I personally have my CCW weapon at work. I have known more then one doc get shot and get killed at work.

But its not an antigun question. Its a safety question. Because the if the doc follows up on it properly, he will ask, do you have locks, are the mags away from the pistol, are the guns accessible to kids etc.

It is still none of  DR's business. He is not charged or paid to be a safety NAZI. Do they ask if you run with sissors? Do they ask if you waited 30 minutes after eating to go swimming? Do they ask if there is a child restraint seat in your car?

Gun questions are not their lane!

Well actually almost every pediatrician will ask about child-restraint seats.  Really bad example.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top