Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 10:42:18 AM EDT
Protesters in Pakistan Target West By ASIF SHAHZAD, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 16 minutes ago

Thousands of protesters rampaged through two cities Tuesday, storming into a diplomatic district and torching Western businesses and a provincial assembly in Pakistan's worst violence against the Prophet Muhammad drawings, officials said. At least two people were killed and 11 injured.

Security forces fired into the air as they struggled to contain the unrest in the eastern city of Lahore, where protesters burned down four buildings housing a hotel, two banks, a KFC restaurant and the office of a Norwegian cell phone company, Telenor.
U.S. and British embassy staffers were confined to their compounds until police dispersed the protesters, some of whom chanted, "Death to America!"
Witnesses said rioters also damaged more than 200 cars, dozens of shops and a large portrait of President Gen. Pervez Musharraf. Vandals broke the windows of a Holiday Inn, Pizza Hut and McDonald's.
Two movie theaters were torched, and clouds of tear gas and black smoke from burning vehicles outside Citibank and Metropolitan Bank branches drifted through streets in the city center.

A security guard shot and killed two protesters trying to force their way into a bank, Interior Minister Aftab Khan Sherpao said, adding that paramilitary forces were deployed to restore order.

Mohammed Tariq, a doctor at the state-run Mayo Hospital, said three people were being treated for serious bullet wounds, and eight more suffered injuries during clashes with police.

The protest was organized by a little-known religious group supported by local trade associations and one of the main Islamic schools in the city. Intelligence officials, however, suspected that members of outlawed Islamic radical groups may have incited the violence.

Raja Mohammed Basharat, law minister for Punjab province, of which Lahore is the capital, said the organizers promised Monday that the demonstration would be peaceful. No one has been arrested for the violence, but those responsible would be punished, he said.

The unrest began Tuesday in the nation's capital, Islamabad, about 180 miles northwest of Lahore, when between 1,000 and 1,500 people, mostly students, marched into a fenced-off diplomatic enclave through the main gate, as about a dozen police looked on.

The stick-wielding crowd charged about a half-mile down the road to the British High Commission, or embassy, where the students rallied briefly until police fired tear gas.

Outside the enclave, protesters smashed street lights and burned tires while chanting "Death to America!" and other slogans. Police rounded up about 50 protesters and put them in pickup trucks.

Another protest in Islamabad drew about 4,000 people. Separately, about 50 lawmakers from religious and moderate parties marched from Parliament to the diplomatic enclave, where they stood silently for five minutes before dispersing.

Hard-line cleric Hafiz Hussain Ahmad, senior leader of an opposition coalition of six religious parties, said, "We have come to the doors of the embassies to take our voice to the ambassadors. There is anger in the Islamic world. If they do not listen, their problems will increase."

People in this conservative Muslim nation have been enraged by the publications of the drawings, which first appeared in a Danish newspaper in September. Papers in other countries, mostly Europe but including some in the United States, reprinted them.

One of the caricatures depicts Muhammad wearing a turban shaped as a bomb with an ignited detonator string.

Islam widely holds that representations of Muhammad are banned for fear they could lead to idolatry.

In Copenhagen, Denmark, Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen said the uproar posed the biggest foreign policy challenge to his nation since World War II. Fogh Rasmussen said it would take time to defuse the crisis, which he called "a very considerable task."

"We don't see the solution around the corner," he said. "We find ourselves in the biggest foreign policy challenge Denmark has faced since World War II."

The Danish government has said it cannot apologize for the actions of an independent newspaper.

A Danish Muslim leader said his group would accept part of the blame for the international protests, but he insisted the group took its complaints to the Middle East because Denmark's government would not listen.

Ahmad Akkari, 28, told The Associated Press his network was willing to accept one-third of the responsibility for the firestorm, if the government and the Danish paper that first published the drawings shared the rest.

"Let's say we bear one-third of the responsibility. Could the other two parts not take their responsibility?" Akkari said in an interview at a mosque in northern Copenhagen.

There have been a series of mostly peaceful protests across Pakistan against the cartoons, and last week Parliament adopted resolutions condemning the drawing. Lawmakers also called for a nationwide strike on March 3.

But Aitzaz Ahsan, a lawmaker with the opposition Pakistan Peoples Party, said he will propose that the government call off the March 3 protest strike because of the prospect of further violence.

"It's really gotten out of hand," Ahsan said. "The violence is spiraling out of control."

___

Associated Press reporter Karl Ritter in Copenhagen, Denmark, contributed to this report.

Now thats where we draw the line, Im sorry but what does Colonel Sanders have to do with Cartoons.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#1]
That'll teach you something or other!!!

Danes don't even LIKE fried chicken!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Ahhh yes...  

"Islam.. The Religion of Peace"

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ahhh yes...  

No no, they peacefully burned down the KCF while peacefully shouting "death to America."  See, they ARE a religion of peace.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Freaking double standards, if I said that you'd say I was being racist.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ahhh yes...  

Unless your deep fried in the Col. secret batter... then it's ok to kill.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#6]
stick-wielding...oh my!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ahhh yes...  

No no, they peacefully burned down the KCF while peacefully shouting "death to America."  See, they ARE a religion of peace.

Dude, you missed the part about the thousands of counter protestors that...oh.

You mean there were no...?

And there never are?

Never mind.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yeah!  What do African Americans have to do with the Danish Cartoons!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Pamela "Big Coochie" Anderson is celebrating as we speak.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#10]
The pic of the Turban/Bomb Mohammed has now become a self fulfilling prophecy, hasn't it?

They are only following the suggestion that he has a short fuse.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Probably thought Colonel Sanders was some sort of Mohammed cartoon ???
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#12]
They probably saw the word "Allah" in Arabic in a stain on the bathroom wall or something.

Seriously, I love how the media still claim these people are rioting and burning a KFC to protest a Danish editorial cartoon.  Last I heard, Kentucky wasn't even in Europe.  The mullahs found something to stir up the people and then told them to go out and destory anything non-Muslim.  And the people obliged.  The cartoons are just an excuse.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#13]
It seems to me that if a few embassies simply had two or three belt fed weapons emptied into these crowds a few times, this kind of thing would stop.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#14]
The proof is in the pudding, only Godless savages perfer KFC extra crispy instead of Original.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm beginning to wonder if I'm living in a Monty Python skit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#16]

This time they have gone too far.

You know, just like the last time, and the time before that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

This time they have gone too far.

You know, just like the last time, and the time before that.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm beginning to wonder if I'm living in a Monty Python skit.

+1.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Ahhh yes...  

Careful now......you'll be branded a racist and banned if you go too far.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's what I don't understand about these people.

They get all pissy over a cartoon.  Okay, that's ridiculous enough.  But then their response is to kill each other and burn down their own buildings?

Something tells me KFC will probably survive this.  But now the rioters don't have any place to get fried chicken.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Hopefully they will burn and bomb themselves back to the stoneage. Fuck em.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#22]
What did the Colonel do to them?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Should rebuild with a KENTUCKY FRIED PORKRINDS!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ahhh yes...  

Shouting "death to America" while being upset over a Danish cartoon.  No one said they were smart.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Why are they screaming 'Death to America' over Danish cartoons published in a French newspaper? I'm not saying that they should go after the Danes and theFrench...well...maybe the French. But their reaction to these non-American cartoons is like if we suddenly nuked Mexico on Sept 12 2001.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Should rebuild with a KENTUCKY FRIED PORKRINDS!

Or a kosher deli...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

the good news is it won't take much to do it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the good news is it won't take much to do it.

Like a whole 2 or 3 weeks of progress, GONE!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#29]
They are just making room for a Bojangles.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ahhh yes...  

Shouting "death to America" while being upset over a Danish cartoon.  No one said they were smart.

Read it again they were in Pakistan at the British Embassy Shouting Death to America, because of a Danish Cartoon from September published in France.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#31]
PETA will be proud
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ahhh yes...  

Read it again they were in Pakistan at the British Embassy Shouting Death to America, because of a Danish Cartoon from September published in France.

They are more fucked up than I thought and I thought they were about as fucked up as one can get.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Is there even a point in discussing this any longer?
Anyone with a brain sees the underlying cause of the problem for what it is.
Part of me wants to speak out and damn these savages to thier face...but most of me just sits back and laughs as I observe natural selection in progress.

After writing a 5 figure check last week to pay my federal taxes, its sad to think that I cant even count on the folks that cashed that check to fucking stop this madness already. Instead, they continue to promote this ROP bullshit. The source of the choas is evident...I sure wish someone with the power to stop it would think about the future of this country ans perhaps spend a little less time contemplating the next election cycle.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Protesters in Pakistan Target West By ASIF SHAHZAD, Associated Press Writer

A security guard shot and killed two protesters trying to force their way into a bank,

How much you want to bet that particular bank suffered no damage?

To me the biggest problem here is when hoards of people are rioting and burning, and the "authorities" keep responding by using tear gas and other non-threatening methods on the rioters.  Just shoot the pricks and the riot will vaporize right before your eyes.  Anybody remember the tapes from the L.A Riots?  LAPD and NG troops standing in the middle of  rioters and looters yelling "Stop that, or else I'll say "stop' to you again!" as they just run around the cops.  But one Korean shopkeeper steps out and fires a few pistols rounds into the air and the street immediately clears!!!

You can't argue with success.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#35]
What's also wild is the businesses are most likely owned by fellow Muslims.

Anyone ever seen "FrankenThumb"? Showtime short that is a spinoff of the Original "Frankenstein".

There is an "Angry torch bearing Mob" who is raising hell about someone. The town Mayor keep s asking them questions like:

Mad about what?

Mad at who?

They all keep looking around at each other and can't figure out who or what they are actually mad at. It is very funny. Definately reminds me of the stupid fucking ROPers.

Too bad, They are going to miss out on some good chicken! I think I may go eat at KFC tonight just to piss-off the ROPers and the dumbass PETA idiots.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Islam IS a religion of peace...
...and if you don't belive that, they will cut your fucking head off.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Which reminds me.  Gotta stop in to Walmart for more amm.. er.. supplies.  Yea that's it, supplies.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Not the KFC!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top