Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 10:37:46 AM EDT
Are they open sights or do they have a magnification to them?  Anyone know anything about these?

How much would a rifle like that cost?  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#1]
No magnification, diopter sights - similar to olympic air rifles, I believe.

Usually, biathlon rifles are quite expensive - but I believe there's a Russian company that makes pretty affordable ones of decent quality.

Some people train "summer biathlon" which is running and shooting, btw.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Its a special highly adjustable peep site.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm not sure I approve of your use of that avatar.

I saw it and thought "Holy shit, imbroglio's back?"
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Rusty Sp  Eotech's
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How much would a rifle like that cost?  

Probably start at about $2500 without the sites, extra mag holder, extra mags etc.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Russian American Armory has one model, it used to be about $750 when EAA was importing them. It is the cheapest true biathlon rig I've seen around in the last few years:
www.raacfirearms.com/Biathlon_7-3_7-4.htm
The sights are one aspect that (reviewers have noted) is particularly lacking--but it does have diopter-type sights.

It costs a few hundred dollars for "good" sights to put on it.
I seem to remember one place was selling Feinwerkbau sight kits (I think) for ~$350.
~
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Russian American Armory has one model, it used to be about $750 when EAA was importing them. It is the cheapest true biathlon rig I've seen around in the last few years:
The sights are one aspect that (reviewers have noted) is particularly lacking--but it does have diopter-type sights.

I seem to remember one place was selling Feinwerkbau sight kits (I think) for ~$350.
~

Did you notice that the Women's team from Russia was using German rifles?
Should tell you something.

Larry
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:43:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I tried a short course once with my Russian rifle....

an M38
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:49:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

~

Did you notice that the Women's team from Russia was using German rifles?
Should tell you something.

Larry

Hell, I don't think a single US competitor uses a US-made rifle. I don't even know of a US maker of Biathalon rigs.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Feinwerkbau and Anschutz are pretty much the two dominators in the Olympic market. The Chinese apparently have come up with a decent rifle as well.

The rear peepsight is about a millimeter in diameter, the front sight is usually a circle, and around 4-5mm in diameter.

For Olympic Air Rifle, using those iron sights to hit a bullseye from the standing position, no sling, you need to be accurate to 12 thousandths of a degree. Top Olympic shooters are having a 'bad day' if they only hit it 58 times out of 60. I'm not sure what the accuracy requirement is for Biathalon.

NTM
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Feinwerkbau and Anschutz are pretty much the two dominators in the Olympic market. The Chinese apparently have come up with a decent rifle as well.

The rear peepsight is about a millimeter in diameter, the front sight is usually a circle, and around 4-5mm in diameter.

For Olympic Air Rifle, using those iron sights to hit a bullseye from the standing position, no sling, you need to be accurate to 12 thousandths of a degree. Top Olympic shooters are having a 'bad day' if they only hit it 58 times out of 60. I'm not sure what the accuracy requirement is for Biathalon.
NTM

Target banks of 5 1.77 inch diameter targets at 50 feet.  No I don't want to sound like a critical asshole.  But isnt that roughly the same as shooting a 10.6 inch target at 100 yards with open sights?  No wonder each miss is a one minute penalty.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Target banks of 5 1.77 inch diameter targets at 50 feet.  No I don't want to sound like a critical asshole.  But isnt that roughly the same as shooting a 10.6 inch target at 100 yards with open sights?  No wonder each miss is a one minute penalty.

Ski Two miles and try it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I think the first target bank is less than 500 meters into the course.  I watched over half the women miss at least one target in the first target bank the other night.  I'm a fat son of a bitch and I'll jog the 500 meters and take em out, especially if you give me that type of rifle sighted in for it, and I'm firing prone like they were.  I'm from arkansas, what are these "skis" you speak of?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NTM

From Wikipedia:

The target range shooting distance is 50 m or 164.041 feet. There are five circular targets to be hit in each shooting round. When shooting in the prone position the target diameter is 45 mm or 1.771 inches, when shooting in the standing position the target diameter is 115 mm or 4.527 inches.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NTM

From Wikipedia:

The target range shooting distance is 50 m or 164.041 feet. There are five circular targets to be hit in each shooting round. When shooting in the prone position the target diameter is 45 mm or 1.771 inches, when shooting in the standing position the target diameter is 115 mm or 4.527 inches.

Ok 50 meters, I thought they said feet and they showed a split screen not the range shot.  Keep my targets at 50 feet for me to hit while out of breath.  Other than that, don't let me piss off a female biathlete, they can shoot better than me
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#17]
The event is much more skiing than shooting oriented. A world-class x-country skier (which these athletes are) who has never even seen a rifle, would absolutely crush by an hour or more the best Olympic-level rifle shooter who is even an OK skier.

I've trained with (rifle) some US Biathalon team members. You can't imagine the level of fitness these guys have. It's scary.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Feinwerkbau and Anschutz are pretty much the two dominators in the Olympic market.

-Yea, they are recognized as the top two. Weihrauch, Steyer and a couple other companies make "club-level" guns, like the RAA, very good, but not quite as good as the $2500 German kits.

...Hell, I don't think a single US competitor uses a US-made rifle. I don't even know of a US maker of Biathalon rigs..

-There ARE no US-made rigs. US companies can't build good target triggers anymore because of US liability laws.
~
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Back in my old deer hunting days I used to get flack for using a Win94 when everyone else had bolt guns with powerful optics that could hit a half dollar at 500 meters.  One year I challenged them to a 100 yard contest, the kicker was we had to wear our hunting gear and then run out to the 100 yard target, carrying our rifles, and back again then take 5 shots in the next 20 seconds from a standing position.  I won with the 94 easily.  My theory being every time I'd get a chance at a nice buck I was usually winded from climbing a hill wearing heavy clothes and in an awkward shooting position.  Hiaving a light, quick handling rifle and being in shape was far more important than having a super accurate cannon with high power glass on it.  Some of the guys could barely keep their shots on the paper after the short run.

My hats off to the Olympic shooters, to shoot as good as they do offhand after the physical expenditure to get to the target area is simply amazing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Marlin made a 2000 model that had a biathalon conversion. Still got mine, although I wish I hade the later model with the adjustable cheak piece.

BTW: It has been about 10 years since they made it.

www.bghi.us/index.php?x=2000l
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure I approve of your use of that avatar.

I saw it and thought "Holy shit, imbroglio's back?"

So what?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Have they even shown any Biathlon events on TV?  I haven't seen it once since the olympics started. I really would like to see it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I was watching it live the other night.  Bout 4 am.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#24]
My son has joined the Loyola College Marksmanship Team and I believe they shoot with Anshutz 1903's and 1907's. He's having a blast, but he says it is tough!

WBK
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Usually, biathlon rifles are quite expensive - but I believe there's a Russian company that makes pretty affordable ones of decent quality.

Is that like trooper class at a good three gun match?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Have they even shown any Biathlon events on TV?  I haven't seen it once since the olympics started. I really would like to see it.

I watched some of it yesterday. Prior to that, I had never seen the event before.
One thing that caught my attention was the way the competitors recocked their rfifles to chamber a new round. They don't move their shooting hand from the grip and flick their thumb to cycle the bolt handle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#27]
The good Biathaletes train to slow down their heartbeats AT WILL, when they get to the shooting positions.

Watched a documentary about a guy training to do it, and he had a heart monitor with a big flashing light gizmo that lit with each heartbeat. He would come to a stop from skiing or running, then slow his heart down, and take his shots in between heart beats to minimize movement.

If I didn't see the fucker doing it, I would have cried "BS" there's no way a person could do that. From what I gather, that's how they do it.

They also crouch, up and down, just prior to taking shots sometimes when they get tired to minimize the shaking of their legs from lactic acid, which can give them fits as the race goes on.

Amazing, and underappreciated sport.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that like trooper class at a good three gun match?

Yeah - who knew I was a part-time "summer biathlete" when I was in the infantry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top