Posted: 2/14/2006 10:03:53 AM EDT
www.breitbart.com/news/2006/02/14/D8FP2DC01.html

Hunter Shot by Cheney Has Heart Attack
Feb 14 1:51 PM US/Eastern
Email this story    

By LYNN BREZOSKY and NEDRA PICKLER
Associated Press Writers

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas

[email protected] The 78-year-old lawyer who was shot by Vice President Dick Cheney in a hunting accident has some birdshot lodged in his heart and he had a "a minor heart attack" Tuesday morning, hospital officials said.

The victim, Harry Whittington, was immediately moved back to the intensive care unit for further treatment, said Peter Banko, the administrator at Christus Spohn Hospital Corpus Christi-Memorial in Texas.

Banko said there was an irregularity in the heartbeat caused by a pellet, and doctors performed a cardiac catheterization. Whittington expressed a desire to leave the hospital, but Banko said he would probably stay for another week to make sure more shot doesn't move to other organs or to other part of his body.

"Some of the bird shot appears to have moved and lodged into part of his heart in what we would say is a minor heart attack," Banko said in a news conference outside the hospital.

The doctors said Whittington did not experience symptoms of a heart attack or any other problems. They left the birdshot in place and said he could live a healthy life with it there.

David Blanchard, chief of emergency care, called it "a silent heart attack, an asymptomatic heart attack. He's not had a heart attack in the traditional sense."

White House physicians who attended to Whittington at the scene after Cheney accidentally shot him were involved in the treatment, the officials said.

Whittington had initially been placed in intensive care after the accident Saturday evening. He had been moved to a "step-down unit" Monday after doctors decided to leave several birdshot pellets lodged in his skin rather than try to remove them.

A Texas Parks and Wildlife Department report said Whittington was retrieving a downed bird and stepped out of the hunting line he was sharing with Cheney. "Another covey was flushed and Cheney swung on a bird and fired, striking Whittington in the face, neck and chest at approximately 30 yards," the report said.

The wildlife department issued a report Monday that found the main factor contributing to the accident was a "hunter's judgment factor." No other secondary factors were found to have played a role.

The department gave Cheney and Whittington warning citations for breaking Texas hunting law by failing to buy a $7 stamp allowing them to shoot upland game birds. A department spokesman said warnings are being issued in most cases because the stamp requirement only went into effect five months ago and many hunters weren't aware of it.

Cheney's office said Monday night in a statement that Cheney had a $125 nonresident hunting license and has sent a $7 check to cover the cost of the stamp. "The staff asked for all permits needed, but was not informed of the $7 upland game bird stamp requirement," the statement said.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#1]
If he dies, does that mean that the VP is going to get charged with manslaughter?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If he dies, does that mean that the VP is going to get charged with manslaughter?

I think the Dems (and media) are already charging him with that!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#3]
looks like the accident is getting a lot worse. Who would step in as VP if he resigns?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#5]
This is some fucked up shit right here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
looks like the accident is getting a lot worse. Who would step in as VP if he resigns?

Whoever the President nominates and the Senate confirms.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Why should he resign? I think he should stand tough and tell the press and dems to fuck off. An accident is an accident...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

GWB could appoint Condi.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

NO

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't wish bad things on Cheney, but any of us would be sitting in a cell right now.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why should he resign? I think he should stand tough and tell the press and dems to fuck off. An accident is an accident...

+1
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I would.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't wish bad things on Cheney, but any of us would be sitting in a cell right now.

No we would not.

Please name one case you know of where someone went to jail over a hunting accident.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#14]
That press conference was a complete farce. The media was yelling at the doctor and gasping for breath about a bunch of hypothetical questions as if the guy was inches from death.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#15]
FUBAR!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You sure about that?  Hunting accidents happen all too frequently, and I've never heard of someone being put in jail for something like this.  It's not like Cheney shot at a "movement" or "noise" like some idiots do.   For crying out loud, there's no evidence Cheney is ultimately to blame.  The man freely chose to go hunting, and if the details are correct, didn't do all in his power to ensure his own safety.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Please make it stop.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No we would not.

Please name one case you know of where someone went to jail over a hunting accident.

<Clears Throat>  Not a hunting accident...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No we would not.

What was it...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

it's all part of the master plan...  Written like some two bit show on the Sci-fi channel.  the old man blasts his hunting buddy in the face in a major disregard of one of the first rules you're taught at hunter's safety.  Then Dr. Condoleezza Rice steps in as VP which will make her even more appealing as the first AFRICAN-AMERICAN, FEMALE President in '08.  

Blessing in disguise,  
~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Why ?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That press conference was a complete farce. The media was yelling at the doctor and gasping for breath about a bunch of hypothetical questions as if the guy was inches from death.

I saw that press conference too, the media was grasping the whole time with "what if's" etc. The doctor held his own pretty well though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No we would not.

What was it...

Vietnamese guy with an SKS shot a bunch of hunters who asked him to not hunt on their land.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#25]
birdshot penetrated, at 30 yards, to the mans heart?  riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#26]
I can tell that not too many of the press have ever shot trap & skeet or gone bird hunting.  They are trying to make political hay out of this unfortunate incident.  Unlike other political poeple who only pretends to hunt for photo ops, Cheney is the real deal.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No we would not.

While no one would be in jail......I can promise if you (AVERAGE JOE) shot someone and didn't have the proper license, you would get a ticket not a warning.

FYI....In my opinion the POTUS and VicePOTUS shouldn't even need a hunting license.....should be a perk of the job. JMHO
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
...there's no evidence Cheney is ultimately to blame...

Really?  
Hunting Safety Rules
3. Before shooting, identify your game, make sure no person is in the way and that nothing is beyond it.

rule number three ring a bell?
~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

No, we wouldn't.

It was an accident.  

It was investigated by the local Sheriff's Department.  No charges were filed.  Same as with any other hunting accident in Texas.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
birdshot penetrated, at 30 yards, to the mans heart?  riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

No

From what I have read so far it sounds like it shot got in to a blood vessel a migrated to the heart... this can happen even with bullet fragments.

Also this is not what most people would normally call a heart attack.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No we would not.

While no one would be in jail......I can promise if you (AVERAGE JOE) shot someone and didn't have the proper license, you would get a ticket not a warning.

FYI....In my opinion the POTUS and VicePOTUS shouldn't even need a hunting license.....should be a perk of the job. JMHO

Nope, Texas is not doing anything but warnings this year over the new stamp, so even that is non-starter.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No we would not.

Nope.

Not according to the State of Texas which has been issuing warning citations and no fines for people who do not have the NEW stamp… which is exactly what happen here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#33]
CNN says a 5mm BB.

that's pretty big for quail. lol...gotta love the media
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

You wouldn't call a blocked artery in the heart a heart attack? What would you call it?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#36]
That's awful.  I didn't know you could get that kind of penetration w/ birdshot at 30 yards.

It just goes to show that you can't be too careful, especially when hunting upland game.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#37]
I'll give you one guess as to where this is headed . . .  

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#38]
What is the probability that the pellet lodged in a blood vessel and traveled to the heart?

ASU1911 was referring to this thread.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#39]
The accident report said it was 7 1/2 birdshot which seems to mean .095 inches or 2.413 millimeter diameter.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You wouldn't call a blocked artery in the heart a heart attack? What would you call it?

Why don't you take that up with the doctor treating the guy that is what he said... but maybe you know better.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#41]
IIRC,  ....... I don't think a Texas Game Warden has the authority to site the VP for anything.
Much less for missing a stamp.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
What is the probability that the pellet lodged in a blood vessel and traveled to the heart?

Yes it does happen... and it can kill.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
No we would not.

There was just something in the paper this week about huters being charged following a hunting accident. What ultimately happens, of course, is yet to be decided.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
IIRC,  ....... I don't think a Texas Game Warden has the authority to site the VP for anything.

I don't think you're correct there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The article plainly states this..........

"Some of the bird shot appears to have moved and lodged into part of his heart in what we would say is a minor heart attack," Banko said in a news conference outside the hospital."
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Sure he does.

The Vice President has to follow the game laws just like I do.

He had a Texas Non-Resident Liscense, but was not told he needed the new (5 month old) Quail Stamp.

Game Wardens in Texas have been giving warnings for failure to have the stamp since this is a new requirement.  That's what Mr. Cheney was given.

He has since sent in the $7 to purchase a stamp.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don't you take that up with the doctor treating the guy that is what he said... but maybe you know better.

"Some of the bird shot appears to have moved and lodged into part of his heart in what we would say is a minor heart attack," Banko said in a news conference outside the hospital.

You were saying?

The reason the doctor said he had "not had a heart attack in the traditional sense" was because Whittington had a silent heart attack -- that is, he did not feel the chest pain traditionally associated with a heart attack. Silent heart attacks are not particularly rare (wikipedia says 25% of heart attacks but who knows how accurate that might be, considering people don't always know they've had them). The "silentness" of this heart attack would have nothing to do with the fact it was caused by bird shot. If he had a heart attack caused by more typical atheroscleratic plaque in the same artery, it would have also been silent.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I would say no.  For manslaughter to be charged you have to show gross or criminal negligence.  Sounds like accidental/non-criminal manslaughter to me.

Of course the libs will be screaming for a murder trial for sure.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Please make it stop.

unfortunately, this story will get hammered to death.

dims=pig + this story= shit  see where I am going?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top