Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 7:10:22 AM EDT
http://www.nbc12.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WWBT/MGArticle/WBT_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137834073387

The Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Office is under fire this morning for the way they investigate certain prostitution cases. Undercover detectives have reportedly been having sex when they bust massage parlors for prostitution. Sheriff Howard Smith says the detectives are just doing what needs to be done in order to build a case and get a conviction. He says they are not doing anything illegal or new. But County Supervisor Henry Connors Jr. says he wants the practice to stop.

“The bottom line is, while we want to shut down places of ill repute, I don't think we want to promote ill moral behavior among our law enforcement officials,” Connors said.

NBC12 legal analyst Steven Benjamin says: “I can't believe the Sheriff is still defending this policy, I promise you, he won't be defending it much longer.”

The sheriff says the department has been successful in shutting down several massage parlors using this method. He says only unmarried detectives are involved.

Court documents show that four times last month, county detectives allowed women at Moon Spa to perform sex acts on them -- once leaving a 350 dollar tip. Smith acknowledged the practice is not new.

Several police officials and legal observers say the practice has been tried by other agencies across the country, but they knew of none that still permit sexual contact with suspects as part of prostitution investigations.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Is that why they call them "dicks"
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:16:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll never understand why it's illegal.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#3]
So they go to work and get paid to get B.J.'s from the skank ho "me love you long time" chicas at the massage parlors?

I wonder if "dick rot" and its varients are covered occupational incidents under the workers' compensation laws.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#4]
perks of the job
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw that on the TV news. The officers said because the Latina women didn't speak English well, the officers were unable to arrest them via a verbal solicitation so they needed to go all the way to prove they were solicited for prostitution.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Piss poor police procedure.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Had to make sure she would actually love you long time?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't even want to know what this op cost the taxpayers in Spotsy.  What a waste of freaking time and resources.  I wish those cops would be named on TV.  

Hey honey, the bj I got at work was well, for work!  Honest!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#9]
So does this mean other types of cops do drugs in order to get closer and make a bust?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, the Sheriff's office DID in fact tell them to probe local prostitution.  

...but, but, but, my boss ordered me to do it....

- CD
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#11]
man you guys act like you dont watch the shield.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Piss poor police procedure.

+1
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like a good job.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#14]
They had an issue with this same practice a year or so ago.  It disappeared from the headlines quickly.  This time it probably will too.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Bustin' pimps ain't easy...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#16]
What state is this county in and where do I get my application for the Sheriffs office?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Talk about "French" benefits.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Would the cop have to declare that as a work related benefit on his taxes?  What is the IRS standard for sex acts?  Anyone know?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#19]
The sherriff does restrict the operation to single officers, though....like the married ones are getting any....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#20]
happened here to a few months back
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
perks perv's of the job

fixed it
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Same thing happened here in Western Washington.  City of Lynnwood Police came under fire for doing the excact same thing.  Even to the point of climax, several times.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Hell of a job! Your working and getting paid by the hard working tax payers and then use their funds to have  sex. But if John Q Public they would bust him. That makes them the same as any patron of the house of ill repute.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll bet no detective there has used a sick day in a loooooooong time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#25]
So.....could I go in the Moon Spa....get a nice hummer then place them under citizens arrest???
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
http://www.nbc12.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WWBT/MGArticle/WBT_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137834073387

The Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Office is under fire this morning for the way they investigate certain prostitution cases. Undercover detectives have reportedly been having sex when they bust massage parlors for prostitution. Sheriff Howard Smith says the detectives are just doing what needs to be done in order to build a case and get a conviction. He says they are not doing anything illegal or new. But County Supervisor Henry Connors Jr. says he wants the practice to stop.

“The bottom line is, while we want to shut down places of ill repute, I don't think we want to promote ill moral behavior among our law enforcement officials,” Connors said.

NBC12 legal analyst Steven Benjamin says: “I can't believe the Sheriff is still defending this policy, I promise you, he won't be defending it much longer.”

The sheriff says the department has been successful in shutting down several massage parlors using this method. He says only unmarried detectives are involved.

Court documents show that four times last month, county detectives allowed women at Moon Spa to perform sex acts on them -- once leaving a 350 dollar tip. Smith acknowledged the practice is not new.

Several police officials and legal observers say the practice has been tried by other agencies across the country, but they knew of none that still permit sexual contact with suspects as part of prostitution investigations.

If not illegal, then why the investigation?  'We' v. 'They' once again.  Can't imagine why police-public relations would take a hit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#27]
There is another story on the Law Enforcement forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top