User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 3:20:43 AM EDT
Bogus Guns A Growing D.C. Crime Problem
http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=28622

Updated: February 13th, 2006 04:02 PM EDT

Visit Stalker Radar Website
AMY DOLITTLE
The Washington Times

D.C. police and city officials want to stiffen the penalties for offenders who use BB, pellet and air guns as weapons.

Such "guns look very real, the weight is real, they have removable clips," Metropolitan Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey said. "If an individual uses them to commit a crime, they should be treated as if they are using a real gun."

Under current law, if an offender discharges a BB, pellet or toy gun in the District while committing a crime, that person is charged only with the crime committed. If a person discharges a firearm during a crime, he or she also is charged with a weapons violation.

Persons convicted of owning or carrying a handgun in the District face a maximum of five years in prison.

There is no penalty for owning or carrying a BB gun, air gun or toy. It is illegal for people under 18 to own a BB gun in the District.

"There's a sense among some criminals that if they get caught with it, the penalty certainly isn't as severe because it's not a real handgun," Chief Ramsey said.

BB guns can cause property damage and, in some cases, kill their targets. Air, pellet and toy guns are harmless when discharged, police say.

The use of such guns in crimes is increasing, says 3rd District Police Cmdr. Larry McCoy, adding that his district last fall saw an increase in street crimes in which replica guns were used.

Last year, police confiscated 61 BB guns, 11 toy guns and 18 pellet guns that were used during crimes, statistics compiled by the Metropolitan Police Department show.

In 2004, 95 pellet, toy and replica guns were seized, statistics show. A breakdown of how many of each was not available.

D.C. police said they did not track how many crimes were committed by thugs carrying such guns last year.

Because many robbery and assault suspects are not caught, it is impossible to know how many were committed with replica weapons, they explained.

Still, officials suspect there were many. "They are used in offenses," Cmdr. McCoy said. "There is no doubt about that."

In Alexandria, where it is legal to own a registered handgun, BB and replica guns also are a growing problem, police said.

"From a police standpoint, anything that looks like a real gun is very disturbing because no one wants to encounter someone with a weapon, whether it is real or not," said Amy Bertsch, a spokeswoman for the Alexandria police.

Police officials in Montgomery and Fairfax counties said they had not heard of efforts to restrict the use of BB guns in their jurisdictions. Currently, BB guns are legal to own in those areas.

Prince George's County State's Attorney Glenn F. Ivey, who was shot in the arm with a pellet gun in a drive-by shooting in 2004, said placing tougher restrictions on BB guns should be considered.

"I'd certainly be interested in taking a look at what the District does on this," he said. "There may be some scenarios we'd consider changing here in Prince George's County or in Maryland."

Some D.C. Council members said banning BB guns might be a solution.

"Quite frankly, I think you ought to ban BB guns," said Vincent B. Orange Sr., Ward 5 Democrat who is running for mayor. "I don't personally see the use for them."

Council member Kwame R. Brown, at-large Democrat, said that instead of instituting a ban on such guns, officials should look at why crimes are committed with them.

Council member Jim Graham, Ward 1 Democrat, said residents should be required to register BB guns and that the council should examine how other jurisdictions deal with the problem.

*Gary Emerling contributed to this report.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:24:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Next they will be after our sling shots
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:29:12 AM EDT
[#2]
They should have never allowed residential development in what is supposed to be the hub of American freedom.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:30:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Ban BB Guns..... FOR THE KIDS!!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:40:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They should have never allowed residential development in what is supposed to be the hub of American freedom.

You got that right.

Get your air5oft now.

That being said, there's a 2/3 scale air5oft M4 now that looks pretty cool. I might have to get one now for my son, who is 1. They might not be available when he's old enough for it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:47:45 AM EDT
[#5]
The answer to bad guys toting bb guns to do holdup jobs is law abiding citizens responding with REAL weapons.

I suppose next the DC authorities will demand that Virginia stop supplying their criminals with "weapons" from those illegal arms bazzars known as TOY STORES.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:50:04 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a MAG people!

Not a CLIP, a MAG!

M-A-G!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:50:31 AM EDT
[#7]
In my state, air pistols are treated the same way as real handguns... Waiting period, registration, "safety inspection", etc.

You are only as free as they let you think you are!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:09:57 AM EDT
[#8]
How long before they close the "Toys-R-Us" loophole?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:12:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How long before they close the "Toys-R-Us" loophole?

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:31:18 AM EDT
[#10]
2 years in the futur my magic 8ball predicts....

Sharp Sticks A Growing D.C. Crime Problem
http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=28622

Updated: February 13th, 2008 04:02 PM EDT

Visit Stalker Radar Website
AMY DOLITTLE
The Washington Times

D.C. police and city officials want to stiffen the penalties for offenders who use sharp sticks, attack kittens and harsh words as weapons.

Blah Blah filler Blah blah blah.....

Some D.C. Council members said banning improvised weapons might be a solution.

"Quite frankly, I think you ought to ban small fluffy kittens," said Vincent B. Orange Sr., Ward 5 Democrat who is running for mayor. "I don't personally see the use for them."

Council member Kwame R. Brown, at-large Democrat, said that instead of instituting a ban on such items, officials should look at why crimes are committed with them.

Council member Jim Graham, Ward 1 Democrat, said residents should be required to register sharp sticks and that the council should examine how other jurisdictions deal with the problem.

*Gary Emerling contributed to this report.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top