Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2001 12:02:21 PM EDT
I'm hopefully going to be purchasing my first AR-15 in the next couple of weeks. Aside from magazines and lots of ammo, what kinds of basic accessories should I get. Obviously I need a cleaning kit, but what kind should I get? Is the official government manual a good investment? Anything else that would be a good investment? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
First thing I bought was a padded soft carry case and a range bag to carry all the loaded mags to the range.

Keep buying mags and ammo...
There's no such thing as "too much" of either.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
After some good brass cased ammo & USGI or US made thermold mags, I would definetly get the USGI cleaning kit. It contains extra brushes to clean the hard to get at places like around the locking lugs & chamber.  Plus, it fits in the stock for storage.  Next, I would get some Break-Free CLP for cleaning your rifle with.  It's great stuff, and is an all-in-one cleaner/lube.  Scope mount(if you get a carry handle upper- could be a cheapy, even if you think your not going to use a scope, it's good to have one aroud incase you change your mind.  Soft cases are good for protecting that investment while goung to/from the range.

So....
USGI CLEANING KIT.......$10
BREAK-FREE CLP...........$5
SCOPE MOUNT..............$15
SOFT CASE..................$35
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a Dewey coated cleaning rod, some chamber brushes, some Breakfree CLP
brownells has everything you need.
[url]www.brownells.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually...

My FIRST accessory to my AR, was an AK-47...

This way, when my AR jammed, I'd still have a gun I could shoot.[:)]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]
First off, congratulations on your selection of the AR-15.

Buy quality magazines and quality ammo. USGI 30 round are good, stay away from steel aftermarket types. Buy brass cased, boxer primed 5.56mm/.223 from reliable sources. I like Winchester Q3131A and IMI M193 from online sources like Ammoman.com and Widener's.

Get yourself a carry case, the ballistic nylon kind with pockets for mags are great. Buy a one piece rod for cleaning along with a bore guide, bronze brushes (never stainless steel) and brass jags. Also, get a Bore Snake. Buy Break-Free CLP and download the military training manual from the old AR-15 site (TM-9). Use a web sling. Go to Bushmaster web site and order a field repair parts kit and maybe some replacement springs and other small parts you think you may lose or break. Oh, and buy a big bottle of Hoppes #9. This above list is simple, basic and all you probably will need. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Actually...

View Quote

If you had my bushy that AK of yours would be covered with dust.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Mags
Mags
Mags
Mags
Mags
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Buy a one piece rod for cleaning along with a bore guide, bronze brushes (never stainless steel) and brass jags. Also, get a Bore Snake. Buy Break-Free CLP and download the military training manual from the old AR-15 site (TM-
View Quote

Howdy...just bought an Armalite 20" flat top upper today, along with an Eagle Arms lower with the 2 stage trigger.  This is my first AR, so I appreciate the info on accessories.  Do you have a URL for the manual you mentioned?  Also, curious as to why you suggest a 1 piece rod; and last...I' don't want to sound dumb, but what's a bore guide?  I'm used to cleaning FALs and AKs...I just go ahead and shove the cleaning rods down the barrel.  Thanks for the newbie help!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#9]
A bore guide slides into the upper receiver housing. You insert the cleaning rod through the guide. The guide keeps the cleaning rod centered, plus since your not cleaning from the barrel end, you don't have to worry about nicking up the crown.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Before you waste your money on a Dewey rod, bore guide, and cleaning kit go to the Maintenance & Cleaning forum and search for topics about the Otis Cleaning System.

[url]http://www.otisgun.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Hearing protection - either plugs or muffs.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually...

View Quote

If you had my bushy that AK of yours would be covered with dust.
View Quote

LMAO!!
My first AK purchase was the result of my frustration with a POS AR "frankengun"
I don't even remember what brand it was...I think it was a Hesse.
Eventually I learned more and more about AR's, bought / sold, and traded several different flavors, and now have only one...

A "new" 20" A2 Bushmaster...

It's the gun ALL my buddies want to shoot when I'm at the range...
They ALL have AK's....[:)]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys are all way off base.

The first accessory to buy should be beer, and plenty of it.  Since you will most likely sit at night fondling the finish off your new toy, you are going to need plenty of beer to drink.

Example - Post from 2/23/01 on the Tromix website, by Dave Weilert.

"I bought a Tromix .223 two weeks ago.  I can't get enough of it.  I have almost rubbed the finish off of it.  My wife told me that the gun could not keep me warm at night.  I told her I would take my chances."

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#14]
[beer]  I second that!

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Ammunition & range time.  The best accessory is a good shooter.

Norm
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#18]
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...
My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit . . .
My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will ...
Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America’s and there is no enemy, but Peace!

READ UP!!
[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/tm9-1005-319-10.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Can someone tell me where to purchase a Giles sling?  I hear so much about it, I think I might need one.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Also add a "Bore Light" But, continously buy USGI Magazines (NIW if can find) and ammunition.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Become a [size=6][red]Magaholic![/size=6][/red]!
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Is a bolt scrapper worth the money or is it a worthless gimmick? Also, what do people recommend as far as range bags? I've just been using an old backpack but it's not the most ideal setup.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#23]
A lock for your wallet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Stripper clips and a stripper clip guide or one of those new mag-loaders that bushmaster sells. You will find that loading 30 rounders by hand are not fun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Might want to check out the Tactical Tailor slings.

NO Slack
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top