Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/13/2006 3:36:48 PM EDT
What the heck is this "sport?"

So a guy pushes a foot tall disc down the ice, while two guys sweep their brooms in front of it but don't even touch it.

What the hell are they doing???  This sport is lame.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Curling...real popular up in Canada IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I think its called "Hurling",  but I may be wrong
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I was pretty close!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Kurlling
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Stupid is what I believe they call it!

ETA:  As I'm sure there is a fan of this sport on this board, just exactly how good do you have to sweep to be considered for the Olympic team?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Curling might seem lame, but it's pretty fun.  Bottom line too is that the winner is clear based on an empirical score by absolute standards, not whether you wore a good costume, what country you are from, or whether you looked good doing it.  That makes it a better "sport" than Figure Skating and all skiing events other than racing ones (although jumping would qualify if they'd get off the scoring part and just leave it at who goes the farthest).  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Anything other than synchronized swimming is just a game.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it's the national sport of Switzerland.

Kinda like baseball to us......
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I suspect that curling is one of those activities that one's skill level increases proportionally to the amount of alcohol that has been consumed.  Like bowling.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

ETA:  As I'm sure there is a fan of this sport on this board, just exactly how good do you have to sweep to be considered for the Olympic team?

Why is it stupid just because YOU don't enjoy it?    No more stupid than a lot of Olympic sports, and (in my opinion) a lot less stupid than things like Nascar.

I'm definitely a fan of curling.    That, speedskating and biathlon are the only winter sports I really watch.  It's the precision with which these teams can control the stone's path, and the "strategy" with which they position stones that make teams better than others.

I just really enjoy watching the sport - with a cold beer, it's very relaxing!  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is it stupid just because YOU don't enjoy it?    No more stupid than a lot of Olympic sports, and (in my opinion) a lot less stupid than things like Nascar.

I'm definitely a fan of curling.    That, speedskating and biathlon are the only winter sports I really watch.  It's the precision with which these teams can control the stone's path, and the "strategy" with which they position stones that make teams better than others.

I love curling but I can see how someone whos never played wouldnt understand. I hate football and soccer so we're even there.

I played on my high school curling team and thinking it doesnt invole skill or strategy is just being ignorant. Is it highly athletic? No, but neither is billiards and that is a highly skilled game.

DK is right, most sports in the Olympics you can buy a medal and people do but this sport is all skill and no art, no judging.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I was just watching it and couldn't figure out the rules.  The U.S. knocked Finland's puck away from the bulls-eye and Finland gets the point??

I was lost after that.

- BG
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I like curling, matter of fact it's my favorite winter olympics sport to watch.

It's a game of strategy, I like chess too...

Case in point, anybody else see that last hammer USA threw against Finland? WTF was that?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This is "Hurling"
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I look at it as" shuffle board "on ICE.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Curling is very popular in canada. It actually starting gain some popularity in Michigan and the midwest. Its a sport and it not as easy as it looks. I did once and I was hard to slide and push the rock with out too much umph. I kinda compared it horse shoes a game when you play when your drunk. I guess you can keep your beer on the ice to keep it cold.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What the heck is this "sport?"

So a guy pushes a foot tall disc down the ice, while two guys sweep their brooms in front of it but don't even touch it.

What the hell are they doing???  This sport is lame.

It is called curling.

It is without a doubt the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

But for some reason, I can't turn the channel whenever it is on.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#19]
It's a sport in the same sense as bowling, billiards and golf are sports.  Once you understand the rules it's a very interesting game.  I also like the fact that there are no gray areas, no questionable calls or "judging".

I grew up in northern MN and grew up watching it on the Canadian TV channels.  It's very big in the UK and Europe too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
It's a sport in the same sense as bowling, billiards and golf are sports.  Once you understand the rules it's a very interesting game.  I also like the fact that there are no gray areas, no questionable calls or "judging".

Lumping in golf with bowling and billiards is way off base.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lumping in golf with bowling and billiards is way off base.

Not really, what with golf being barnyard pool and all!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm waiting for Extreme Ironing to be made into an Olympic sport.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Ironing
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Curling is the silliest sport to watch.  Two guys furiously sweeping the ice in front of a big sliding rock.  How can you not mock this?

It is a pretty cool game, skill and strategy.  Still looks retarded.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Curling is still more of a sport than fucking poker.
I still don't get how people consider poker a fucking sport.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I guess Poke Her could be considered a sport.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Ghey,that is all i have to say.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#27]
You know....  I've read more threads on this silly assed board about "this sport is gay. that sport is gay. who cares about the winter olympics."  I tell ya, I have a hard time shitting on our fellow American Athletes no matter their event.  These people worked hard in their respective sport to get where they're at.  

But whatever,
~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:00:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is "Hurling"

Sorry wrong again...  This is the sport of hurling.

Kent
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#29]
This is Hurling.

It's the world's fastest field game. Think of Rugby using a baseball, where both combatant sides are armed with large sticks. One of Ireland's national sports.

I happen to like Curling. Reminds me a bit of Bowls, but more interesting.

NTM

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:02:48 AM EDT
[#30]
INteresting you ask 'cause I was just talking to my wife about it yesterday. It's been an Olympic event for awhile now and I have yet to see what this sport has to do with the Olympics.I always thought the Olympics were for different countries to showcase their best athletes in competative sports like swimming or skiiing or wieght lifting or wrestling or snow boarding or gymnastics or track... on and on. Something that shows physical skill.
Curling does not show physical skill,IMO. Ok, so the stones weigh 40 lbs or something. The guys aren't lifting it 400 times or anything. It's like shuffle board or something old people play on cruises.
Ok, now with that being said,if people want to play this game,fine. I don't have a problem with that. But an Olympic event? Don't see it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:05:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah,speed skating is awesome. Those guys ( and girls ) hit some pretty damn fast speed for being on two legs. Pretty cool. THAT takes some physical ability. And of course I like the Biathalon.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:08:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yeah, another thing I don't get is the huge thing with poker all of a sudden.
I've played since I was 5 or so and it was just fun,but,damn,all this crap now makes me want to THROW UP!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
INteresting you ask 'cause I was just talking to my wife about it yesterday. It's been an Olympic event for awhile now and I have yet to see what this sport has to do with the Olympics.I always thought the Olympics were for different countries to showcase their best athletes in competative sports like swimming or skiiing or wieght lifting or wrestling or snow boarding or gymnastics or track... on and on. Something that shows physical skill.
Curling does not show physical skill,IMO. Ok, so the stones weigh 40 lbs or something. The guys aren't lifting it 400 times or anything. It's like shuffle board or something old people play on cruises.
Ok, now with that being said,if people want to play this game,fine. I don't have a problem with that. But an Olympic event? Don't see it.

Yeah right!!  Then there's those shooting sports...  All they do is pull a trigger 40 or 60 times.  That's even easier than that curling stuff.  What a bunch of weaklings.  You see some of those shooters?  They're like 50 years old.  They probably get winded running out to the mailbox.

Kent
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Yeah right!!  Then there's those shooting sports...

Bingo Kent,

Three Four summer events come to mind.  Shooting, Archery, Sailing and Equestrian.  If Equestrian wasn't related to, be it remotely, to ancient roman warfare I'd add that to the list as well.  

Go figure though.  Cut Baseball and softball, of which I'm a fan of neither, and keep Judo AND Take-My-Dough (Taekwondo).  Why not combine those events into a UFC style combined event?

~Dg84

Edited to just go ahead and add Equestrian to the list.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah right!!  Then there's those shooting sports...  All they do is pull a trigger 40 or 60 times.  That's even easier than that curling stuff.  What a bunch of weaklings.  You see some of those shooters?  They're like 50 years old.  They probably get winded running out to the mailbox.

Kent

Huh?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

This is hurling

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurling

It hurts.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Curling is the silliest sport to watch.  Two guys furiously sweeping the ice in front of a big sliding rock.  How can you not mock this?

It is a pretty cool game, skill and strategy.  Still looks retarded.

It looks better when the women do it....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I was just watching it and couldn't figure out the rules.  The U.S. knocked Finland's puck away from the bulls-eye and Finland gets the point??

I was lost after that.

- BG

Same here. I was interested in the game in the way I would watch a chess match. Clearly it was more about the strategy than skill. The teams spent most of their time deciding where they wanted their stone to be and pretty much appeared to take it for granted that they could get it there on cue. Now, if someone could explain the scoring and rules, maybe I could watch it again and understand a few things. I didnt understand how Finland won that last match eben though the USA had more stones in what appear to be scoring rings. Also, it seems that after a collision between teams stones occurred, the stones were pulled to the back and out of play...which I saw as the equivelant to someone making a combo shot in billiards but as soon as the shot was made someone reaches down and grabs a ball that is still moving. I dont get it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

well there is rodeo poker:

http://www.all4humor.com/videos/funny-videos/rodeo-poker.html
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kent

You've never shot in an Olympic shooting match, have you?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Damn you curling!  I know this is the stupidest thing I've ever seen but I can't turn it off!  I've been watchin' this crap for like an hour.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Anything other than synchronized swimming BIATHLON AND SNOWBOARDING is just a game.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Damn you curling!  I know this is the stupidest thing I've ever seen but I can't turn it off!  I've been watchin' this crap for like an hour.

Heh, first time I saw it was last winter olympics, thought to myself WTF? Huh? This is an Olympic sport? SWEEPING??? Had to watch long enough to figure out what was going on and then I couldn't stop watching.

Was fun watching my wife go through the same process the next day when I was watching, there's something universal about it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm actually watching the Westminster Dog Show tonight.
Superbowl of dog shows and some nice looking doggies, best in show is tonight also.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
You've never shot in an Olympic shooting match, have you?

I very briefly made the Irish squad at Olympic Air Rifle. It's not the most aerobic of sports, the worst bit is your leg going dead because you don't move your feet for an hour and a half. Even less so when you have compressed air cylinders. I used a Feinwerkbau 601, which is a manual compression system.

I think curling has as much right to be in the Games as half a dozen other events.

NTM
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heh, first time I saw it was last winter olympics, thought to myself WTF? Huh? This is an Olympic sport? SWEEPING??? Had to watch long enough to figure out what was going on and then I couldn't stop watching.

Was fun watching my wife go through the same process the next day when I was watching, there's something universal about it.

That's what's so awesome about curling

Despite being a silly "sport" it's absolutely hypnotic to watch!  

The argument about what sports "should be" in the Olympics is a completely pointless one to get into, in my opinion.  I mean, I'm sure that ballroom dancing is difficult, but an Olympic sport??    That gymnastics with the ribbons and balls is pretty retarded too, and synchronized swimming is just demented - yet they dropped POLO, which is just as legitimate as soccer or other equestrian events.

I wish they would add kendo as a summer event.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#49]
The Johnson sisters (both are on the US curling team) are hot. Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Curling...who figured out that scrubbing the ice with a broom could have a significant effect on the trajectory of a sliding rock?

I believe the rotation you impart to the rock when you release it has a large effect on the curl as well - not just the sweeping.

Wow, Sven, you've sure got some extra time on your hands to have figured that out,  yah!   Maybe you should have just gotten yourself a job instead.

Don't be hatin!

As opposed to the people who developed 12 different kinds of golf clubs, and 100 different versions of drivers?  

For the record, most of the curlers are TRUE amateurs, and of course they've got real jobs in addition to being world-class curlers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top