Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/13/2006 12:41:09 PM EDT
How do you guys feel about hunting confined or pen-raised animals at private clubs?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#1]
What ever floats your boat.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried it once, but they kicked me out of the petting zoo.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not considered unsportsmenlike?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess if you're doing it just for the meat, then it's probably no big deal. If you're doing it because you think it is sport, then I think it is lame. A "sport" hunt, IMO, involves actually getting out in the wilderness, tracking the animal and not shooting one that is kept in a 150' x 150' fenced-in area.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#5]
That is not hunting.
Thats no different than going out to your garage and shooting your dog.
Anybody who enjoys that kind of killing should get a job at the meat packing house.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think they are "sporting" or ethical.

"Canned" hunts are for people with self-esteem and emotional problems.

ibtl

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to have a friend that did quail hunts where he pen raised them and then you take them out in the field and swing them around to dissorient them and then stick them in the grass and they would stay there until you came through with the dogs and have them flush for the hunters.

No, not sportsman-like.  Of course if you want to hunt quail in central Texas that is the way you have to do it or something of the sort, there is not much wild quail here anymore.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]
went out on a $120 phesant hunt.  they were pen raised birds.
they would not flush.  just walked around and would almost run to the owner.
so he would grab them and throw them up in the air and yell SHOOT THEM!

it was like being kicked in the balls.  so we let a buddies 10 year old son blast them with a 410.

also hunted WT deer in texas over feeders.  about the same thing.  6:30 the feeder goes off and makes a hell of a racket.  deer are busting brush runnin to jump in the pen and eat the corn.  just pick one out from 30 yds away and blast it with the 300 Win mag.  

yea i did it.  my hero.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I think controlled environment hunting like that is similar to the driving range. Sure you're hitting golf balls, but you aren't golfing or getting any experience beyond your equipment that you can use in a real game.

Wait, the driving range is useful for making improvements to your golf game. Bad example

I think it's like banging a tennis ball against a wall by yourself, it's fun, but to play a real game you need a partner....no wait that's the difference between sex and masterbation.

I think, its hunting for indoor kids. Or maybe it's like the 'Special Olympics' for hunters. Does someone clean whatever you kill for you as well.

Will they also cut your meat for you after they've cleaned and cooked your kill? or are any useful experiences gained from this kind of event?

I think this kind of hunting is for incapable retards who need supervision and safety equipment.

...yeah
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#12]
What would you think of somebody that shot 20 quail that way?  Or 50?  I think it would be a sign that something is wrong with that "hunter."
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I have couple of cows in my pasture that are too fat and can't breed anymore.  I have hard time cornering them into corral to load them into trailer and take them to the cattle auction.  I will let you "hunt" them for $700.00 a head
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I make a good portion of my living on controlled hunts.  Depending on how they are managed its very safe and lots of fun.  There really is no other way to insure a successful hunt than to use planted birds.  A good hunt preserve will have their birds in a flight pen so they are well exercised and will flush wild.   I have used planted birds though for training that did not flush.  Mind you I spend about 6 bucks a bird for kill birds [junky birds for training] and about twice that for flight birds.

Patty
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its a tad like harvesting more than hunting but the meat still tastes good.

Yeah it's not all that different from killing a chicken or a pig on a farm, but I wouldn't call it hunting.

That's the description I was looking for
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have couple of cows in my pasture that are too fat and can't breed anymore.  I have hard time cornering them into corral to load them into trailer and take them to the cattle auction.  I will let you "hunt" them for $700.00 a head

$2.14 cents a pound for hamburger eh?  Will you cut and wrap?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Harvesting meat is harvesting meat.

Growing up once a year we'd go out to the barn and shoot a beef, is that unsportsmanlike? Should we have let it loose first and chased it around the neighborhood?

You raise birds you can kill them any way you want, but such canned bird "hunts" are no different than shooting clays IMO, a way to get some practice in while accomplishing the chore of slaughtering stock at the same time.

If you kill an animal and don't eat it, with the exception of predators threatening stock or pests like rats or bugs, that's immoral whether it's farm raised or not IMO.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I would think that it would take all the fun out of hunting. The thrill is in the hunt itself, not looking for a deer tangled in the chain-link. I guess to each his own, but it wouldn't be for me
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't think of it as real hunting.

I could see it as a training exercise (like training wheels) for young inexperienced hunters.

I wouldn't do it. I'd be embarrassed to tell people.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh.....and I must admit, I had no problem going in the pen and pulling their heads off and taking them home for dinner.  Better than taking them out and filling them full of lead and eating them
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
went out on a $120 phesant hunt.  they were pen raised birds.

<snip>

Same here except that these birds were fast and would flush at the drop of a hat!  Some Partridges were put out as well.  Had a really good pointer with us.

25% got away (2RC)

Birds I can shoot, not too sure about shooting Bambi or other pen raised land creatures.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Well did you all know that Dick Cheney was hunting at one of these private clubs? I guess he bagged 70 birds according to this article:
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/2693558/detail.html
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been on one pen raised quail hunt and it was and always will be my last.  You had to kick the birds to get them to fly more than 15 yards.  I have never had less fun hunting than I did during this hunt.  

Bill3508
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been reading people's opinion on this lately as it's a controversy in Indiana right now.
I think I'm to the point where I don't care if they want to do it, but the damn farms need strict regulation to keep disease down.
I don't think it's hunting, I don't think it's sporting.  I think it's for posers.
Comparisons to shooting cows or butchering chickens are very appropriate IMO.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#27]
There's quite a few places on the East Coast that offer this type off bird hunting. You pay X amount and they make sure you kill X amount. When you are done they feed you and hand you cleaned and processed birds to take home. I don't really see much of a challenge in doing this. Most of the birds are pen raised an don't move unless you step on them. However with limited areas to hunt around here it's pretty much the only way you are going to pull that amount of birds in a day.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I would not enjoy hunting wildlife confined to a certain area.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't consider it hunting at all. Why not just beat the critter with a shovel and save on the expense of ammo.

What's really fucked-up is "Cyber Hunting" where a person can shoot the pen raised animals by remote control from their computer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I would not enjoy hunting wildlife confined to a certain area.

Nothing would be enjoyable about it...unless you simply like killing for killing's sake.  It's not hunting an animal, it's just slaughtering it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Depends on the game and how the hunt is conducted.   The only pen raised game around here that I know of are pheasant.  The pen raised birds can be hunted year round whereas the wild pheasant season is only about 3 weeks long.  I've been a couple times and it was pretty good sport.  It is expensive but how else is a guy in an urban area going to get time in the field with his dog.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I have shot pen raised pheasant that are released in public lands in Ohio.  They don't fly as fast or as far as wild birds in ND, but you still have to hunt 'em up.  They taste good too.

Why is it not a problem to raise animals for slaughter but it is a problem for some of you to raise them for hunting?

Personally, I would not enjoy shooting a deer at a feeder at 30 ft. or shooting a pheasant that you have to thrown in the air, but if you do, I don't have a problem with it, as long as you are not just wasting it.  I don't begrudge people that don't have the time or space to do "real" hunting.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#34]
My dad just went to Ted Turner's ranch to get a buffalo.  But, really, there aren't many other ways to get a buffalo anymore.  BTW, he's using the meat for hamburgers for his re-grandopening for his hardware store.  Anybody want some free buffalo burgers?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
That is not hunting.
Thats no different than going out to your garage and shooting your dog.
Anybody who enjoys that kind of killing should get a job at the meat packing house.

+1,  I agree
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#36]
The other side of the arguement is that in the US we consume many millions of tons of meat every year, and all those animals must be slaughtered.

I see no moral problem with  getting whatever sporting utility can be from those deaths, maybe it's not hunting, not as sportsmanlike as a real hunt, but any additional use we get from it is a positive thing.

The only experience I have personally with this kind of thing is fishing for hatchery salmon, which isn't quite the same I don't think, but it's the only reason there's any salmon fishing at all inland anymore around here, so it's a good thing IMO.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well did you all know that Dick Cheney was hunting at one of these private clubs? I guess he bagged 70 birds according to this article:

That's a press release from the humane society "It was an open-air abattoir" what a jerk off how

I don't feel bads for the birds. I just think Cheney is another phony poliician. Not only did he accidentally shoot another hunter but he isn't even really hunting. I can just imagine him thinking about how at least this accident will look good in the red states, you know... at least he was out hunting. And does anyone believe that Cheney is going to eat those 70 birds he shot?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Are we talking lions and tigers and Rino's? Or The normal NA game?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I have shot pen raised pheasant that are released in public lands in Ohio.  They don't fly as fast or as far as wild birds in ND, but you still have to hunt 'em up.  They taste good too.

Why is it not a problem to raise animals for slaughter but it is a problem for some of you to raise them for hunting?

Personally, I would not enjoy shooting a deer at a feeder at 30 ft. or shooting a pheasant that you have to thrown in the air, but if you do, I don't have a problem with it, as long as you are not just wasting it.  I don't begrudge people that don't have the time or space to do "real" hunting.

I think part of the problem with it is it is being called hunting when it isn't.  Take canned lion hunts.   Places get these lions that have been raised in captivitiy, dump them off in a strange, fenced in environment then set a bunch of dogs loose until you can walk up and shoot them.   The only element in that equasion that could even be construed as hunting is the shooting part and even that is suspect.

Contrast that to going to Africa, finding and tracking a wild lion in it's element, getting into a position to make a clean shot and making it.

The kill is only one small part of the hunt.  Hunting is everything else that goes into it.  The kill is the end game.  If the kill is the beginning and the end, then it is not a hunt.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Damn, I was right in spotting the troll!

16 posts in 5 years, and #16 is an obvious lead in to the cheney story! What a complete shock that you took this thread to be about cheney!

Here's the deal: There are pheasant farms / preserves all over the place. They generally raise a lot more pheasants than are shot. They are good places for people who want to take their kids on afirst hunt, or on abusiness outing, or on a trip where they're sure to get a chance to actually shoot at a bird instead of walking around all day without seeing a thing.

But hell, since cheney did this, it MUST be evidence that his some kind of bad guy!

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I'd just as soon have the landowner deliver me the meat and skip the phoney run through the jungle and shoot theatrics.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#44]
It's kinda like going to a whorehouse and after the fact thinking you're a real slick chick magnet...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a press release from the humane society "It was an open-air abattoir" what a jerk off

Go see how chickens live before they get the axe and see how bad you feel about these birds...

I don't feel bads for the birds. I just think Cheney is another phony poliician. Not only did he accidentally shoot another hunter but he isn't even really hunting. I can just imagine him thinking about how at least this accident will look good in the red states, you know... at least he was out hunting. And does anyone believe that Cheney is going to eat those 70 birds he shot?

You waited around with an account here for three years here and "Dick Cheney goes on canned hunts" is what you are going to swing with? Son, I am embarrassed for you.

Well at least you have to admire the stealthy way he did it. I mean, nobody could have seen this thread becoming about dick cheney!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#46]
If they want to shoot caged animals, I've got one for them....

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#47]
20+ years ago, the owner of the place I worked was a "big game" hunter and did several "safari's" to Africa,ect. While these weren't "canned" hunts, he did have a "guide" that  would point out the various targets and their corresponding price tags, ie; "that antelope over there will cost you $2,500., that waterbuffalo will cost you $7000., ect."

And I always had to go to the airport to pick up his "trophy's" after they were shipped back from the taxidermist.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Hunting isn't supposed to be a convenient exercise.  Part of what makes it a "hunt" is that you have to go out & find it & bag it: find+kill = "hunt".  Having a gun already raises the odds.  Shouldn't it be left at that?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Not my cup of tea.

I have shot farm raised pheasants once.  They were from a farm that had 40+ acres under netting.  Those birds flushed and flew just as good as a wild bird, but it never felt "right" to me.  

YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top