Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 11:18:37 AM EDT
last pair i had were red wings and it looks like you can't touch them now  for less than $150.00.
i think that's a little silly for a pair of ropers that are going to end up smelling like skunk oil their first first trip to the oil patch.
so i am looking for some nice super comfortable safety toe work boots.  slip on perferable but the side zips look cool.  only thing is they must have a step heel so no sneaker bottom boots.  and they have to be leather or other durable material.    

thanks
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Any reason they need a heel?
Brazos makes a steel toe shoe for about 15 bucks they sell them at academy. I pick up like 2 or 3 pair each time I go. They last about 6 months or so, but I figure the 80-120 dollars ones only lasted about a year, so I am still saving money. They might make a boot, but I am not sure, and it sort of looks like the boat shoes that slip on. Suede(sp) outside with rubber soles.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Red Wings-made in USA (Red Wing, MN)

With tax the pair I have cost $210
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/footwear/mens/1999&start=0&selectedSKU=0548-03611-1802
Not quite the kind I have, but same maker, only 20 bucks.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/footwear/mens/1999&selectedSKU=0545-02157-9041&start=0

These are the ones I got.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#4]
it's the regs.
there is a fear that without a heel the boot may slip thru the rungs of a ladder and you can fall.  silly i know but that's plant logic.
boat shoes and tennis shoe looking safety shoes are out.  only boots with a 6" tall upper minimum.  it lessens the chance of a steam trap dumping condensate in a boot and cuts from low objects.    
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I like my Magnums, but I dont think they make a pair with a step heel.

Get the red wings, who cares how they smell its about whow they feel.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

TSA screeners for one.  They want to know what is making your boots smell so bad.  Is it some kind of poison or explosive?  Usually I wrap them up with the hard hat and nomex and pack them on.  It beats checking them and having to explain why they set off an alarm.  It’s either that or the Fluke or Rosemount portable configure they think is so sort of a bomb detonator.  What is a box with two leads coming off of it, has batteries, a keypad and a digital meter?  
It ‘s a bomb. Ahhhhhhhh!!!  No idiot it’s a volt meter.  You know like on your car that tells you when the battery is dead?  The reason I didn’t check that is was that the last time I did it was stolen out of my bag.    

Thanks everyone.  I think I will buy American and go with the red wings.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TSA screeners for one.  They want to know what is making your boots smell so bad.  Is it some kind of poison or explosive?  Usually I wrap them up with the hard hat and nomex and pack them on.  It beats checking them and having to explain why they set off an alarm.  It’s either that or the Fluke or Rosemount portable configure they think is so sort of a bomb detonator.  What is a box with two leads coming off of it, has batteries, a keypad and a digital meter?  
It ‘s a bomb. Ahhhhhhhh!!!  No idiot it’s a volt meter.  You know like on your car that tells you when the battery is dead?  The reason I didn’t check that is was that the last time I did it was stolen out of my bag.    

And don't wear steel toe boots when you are going to go through a metal detector.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And don't wear steel toe boots when you are going to go through a metal detector.

seems like half the time they make you take your shoes off anyway.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I like Magnums also ,  Converse makes a safetyy boot , with zip up sides,composite safety toe , real light , they're way lighter than redwings  , but no step heel  ,I've  had mine quite while now
here's a link to Galls
http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=SP509
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#10]
It just so happens I have a pair of lightly used Danner Desert Acadias in a 10D I'd like 100 bucks for.

Best, artar
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#11]
i wish i could take you up on them but i wear a 12 D  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Doc Marten work boots are pretty comfortable and don't require being broken in for a month like Red Wings. They have a slip on type boot you can probably find at academy for about 100 bucks.

ETA:Doc Martens @ acedemy
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#13]
i ended up with the bates enforcers.
they are nice.
but i made a mistake and got the insulated ones.  don't know how well they insulate and i can't tell that they have any insulation at all.  my feet don't sweat in them and they are soaking wet after a day wearing tinnis shoes.  they say "thinsulate" on them but don't give a number.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I also have a pair of the Bates Enfocer Series Special Ops boots, model 02230. They are the best boots I have found yet, as far as safety toes goes. They have the non-metalic safety toe that stays a lot warmer than steel does, and weighs a lot less too. This is where I bought my boots from..... They are still only 50 bucks too! Try them, you wont regret it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top