BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 10:33:38 AM EDT
Monday, February 13, 2006
Wife should talk with husband about fear of guns
By DR. JOYCE BROTHERS
SYNDICATED COLUMNIST

DEAR DR. BROTHERS: I recently moved to a new area of the country, in which it is very common for households to have a rifle or handgun for hunting or personal protection. I have never had any exposure to weapons at all and have always been very frightened of them. Yet around here, children are routinely taught to hunt, with a healthy respect for but no fear of guns. Anyway, my husband brought one home after I reluctantly agreed (we do have a problem with predatory wild animals at our new farm), but I find myself being very nervous about just having it. I would never want to use it. Is this strong a reaction normal? -- D.K.

DEAR D.K.: I would say that it is quite normal and even smart to be afraid of any dangerous weapon that could kill you or a member of your family. It could even make for a very unpleasant situation should the victim be a predator in your yard and you have to see it dispatched. There is almost no upside to having a gun if you aren't a gun lover, and you shouldn't have to live with this creepy feeling indefinitely.

That said, I think you need to sit down with your husband and discuss all this. He needs to be able to tell you how he feels about having -- and possibly using -- the gun. Did he buy the gun mainly to minimize discord in the new neighborhood -- in other words, to fit in? Does he have any background or training in gun use and gun safety? Was he ever in the military? And do you agree that you really need it? If so, take some lessons and do some skeet shooting so that you can gain some mastery and lessen your fears. Keep the gun locked up, of course, and keep that fear at a healthy level. After all, they are deadly. If you still feel terrified after taking these steps, I suggest that you surrender your weapon.

Write to Dr. Joyce Brothers via King Features, 888 Seventh Ave., New York, NY 10019.

seattlepi.nwsource.com/brothers/256854_joyce131.html
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

DEAR D.K.: I would say that it is quite normal and even smart to be afraid of any dangerous weapon that could kill you or a member of your family.

<snip>

After all, they are deadly. If you still feel terrified after taking these steps, I suggest that you surrender your weapon.

I suggest you ignore Dr. Brothers and go see a real doctor about a spine transplant.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Another Alzhiemer's based answer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DEAR D.K.: I would say that it is quite normal and even smart to be afraid of any dangerous weapon that could kill you or a member of your family.

<snip>

After all, they are deadly. If you still feel terrified after taking these steps, I suggest that you surrender your weapon.

I suggest you ignore Dr. Brothers and go see a real doctor about a spine transplant.

+1
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Needs a second opinion.

"Paging Dr. Phil. Dr. Phil! To the Paranoia Ward, stat!

edited for speling
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Asking Dr. Joyce Brothers about guns is like asking the NRA about the Mars Global Surveyor.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#6]
There is almost no upside to having a gun if you aren't a gun lover, and you shouldn't have to live with this creepy feeling indefinitely.

I wonder if people living in New Orleans feel that way?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Dear D.K.,

"It is apparent that your husband has no and never has had any balls since he has apparently went through life as a sheeple. Get rid of the gun. Despotic rulers need someone to enslave and you are a prime candidate. Besides, a real man needs that gun somewhere."

GR
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#8]
They better lock up their kitchen cutlery too....after all it's deadly too....and....it's for the chillen!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#9]
The "pussification" of America continues.... UPDATE AT ELEVEN!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Dr. Joyce should talk to someone about her petrified vagina and STFU....
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#11]

There is almost no upside to having a gun if you aren't a gun lover, and you don't mind seeing your kids attacked by predatory wild animals.

Fixed her typo.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Dear D.K.,

Guns are bad.  Even if your husband used a gun to stop a violent rapist from attacking you, you'd still feel icky from seeing the resulting mess.  Get rid of the gun and your life will be full of flowers and puppies.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Dear D.K.,

Guns are bad.  Even if your husband used a gun to stop a violent rapist from attacking you, you'd still feel icky from seeing the resulting mess.  Get rid of the gun and your life will be full of flowers and puppies.  

Funniest quote of the day. Good shit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dear D.K.,

Funniest quote of the day. Good shit.

Except one of the first things my Scottie pup Bonny did was shit in my hand as I was driving one day. A hand full of  hot shit fresh out of the dog will fuck with your psyche worse than any old gun.

rj
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Asking Dr. Joyce Brothers about guns is like asking the NRA about the Mars Global Surveyor.

The difference is the NRA would tell you it's not their area of expertise and tell you to ask nasa.

The lifetime hack named Dr. Joyce Brothers will just talk out of her ass even though she is clueless about guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top