Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 6:09:47 AM EDT
Why do all q-tip brands say on the box Warning: Do not insert in ear canal. Well what the hell am I suppoesd to use to clean my ears then?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Some idiot obviously pushed until he hit grey matter, thus the warning.

You can still use them for cleaning your ears, if you like to live dangerously.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:12:12 AM EDT
[#2]
It's just legal coverage in case you puncture your eardrum.  They can then say "We warned you."
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:13:16 AM EDT
[#3]
For the same reason that holster makers sometimes include instructions that say "Never carry a loaded firearm in this product."
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well what the hell am I suppoesd to use to clean my ears then?

Myself? I use a bore snake and get both at the same time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Because people are too F'in stupid to use q-tips without requireing medical attention and an attorney.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:14:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Tannerite does a better job anyhow.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:15:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought Q-tips were only to be used for cleaning guns.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:16:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Because it can actually push wax deeper in the ear and can eventually stop up the ear canal.  They make a special plastic ear wax cleaner you can get at the drug store that kind of scrapes the wax out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:23:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Shit.....that's funny!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:27:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Because it can actually push wax deeper in the ear and can eventually stop up the ear canal.  They make a special plastic ear wax cleaner you can get at the drug store that kind of scrapes the wax out.

Actually what they sell at the drug store is a liquid that reacts with ear wax and either disolves it or forces it out.  I have used that stuff before.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the funniest thing I've read in like a whole week here.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:31:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I use them just about every day in my ear canal.  BFD.  Just be careful.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:42:21 AM EDT
[#14]
ITS PRINTED THERE BECAUSE OF LAWYERS.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#15]
paper clips really pull out the dark orange goo.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:46:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I have gotten an ear infection from putting the Q-tip in my ear canal, your body will naturally get rid off the ear wax. Most of the time
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#17]
If you do it, you can hear radio signals from the zombie motherships.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
paper clips really pull out the dark orange goo.  

I can attest to that.  I had some buildup a couple of times, and a paperclip straightened out and bent in half once will remove some gross stuff.    Bobby pins work pretty well too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually what they sell at the drug store is a liquid that reacts with ear wax and either disolves it or forces it out.  I have used that stuff before.

They do sell an individual little plastic device that has like a small teardrop shaped opening on the end and a large stopper to prevent it from going too deep in your ear.  I bought my daughter one at CVS pharmacy.  The liquid stuff I have used before and got a F'n ear ache.

ETA:  Like this
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:58:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Because a moron will find a way to hurt himself with anything, including Q-Tips.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#21]
That's what keys are for.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I like to fill my ear canals with bacon drippings and let rodents lick out the wax along with the fat.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have gotten an ear infection from putting the Q-tip in my ear canal, your body will naturally get rid off the ear wax. Most of the timehr

Yeah, I used to get ear infections all the time and I couldn't figure out why.  It was because I used Q tips in my ear canal, and I was removing too much earwax.  

Your earwax is acidic, so it kills bacteria.  If you remove the wax with a swab, chances are you not only removed the earwax barrier, but you also deposited bacteria and fungus from the swab that made contact with your dirty hands into your newly exposed ear canal.  Also, if you slip, the ear drum is easy to tear and damage.  Admittedly, I've done it.

The liquid stuff contains hydrogen peroxide, so if you don't flush it out well enough, it will cause chemical burns in your ear.  I use it to clear the buildups, and usually don't have a problem.  But you shouldn't wait more than a few minutes before you clear it out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#24]
for the same reason there is instructions on a book of matches and tooth picks.
people are stupid
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:34:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Ditto for the comments regarding damage to the ear canal. It's extremely easy to abrade the tissue in the ear canal and open things up to infection. I've found a ear syringe with warm soapy water does a good job of cleaning out some incredibly nasty stuff.

For serious buildups I have to work a little longer but I no longer have the painful ear infections.

That said, as long as you don't go at your ear like you're mining for coal, you MAY be ok.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

.30 cal bore brush. cleaning rod section. Electric drill.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.30 cal bore brush. cleaning rod section. Electric drill.

That was deemed "un safe" last year.

The only safe recommendation is to use a Chamber Brush.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#28]
A old school doctor once told me to use a solution of 50% white vineager and 50% Vodka. Put solution in a squeeze bottle and have at it. It dissolves wax and lowers the PH. I have used his advice for years with no problems.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
A old school doctor once told me to use a solution of 50% white vineager and 50% Vodka.

Sounds like I could just use my neighbor's homemade wine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Does anybody remember Wonko the Sane?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#31]
My ear plugs do a great job of removing ear wax!  

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Pretty stupid. I've used Q-tips every day for most of my life and never had a problem. I can't hear worth a shit though...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I just use my finger, if there is too much ear wax it seems to come out well enough on its own.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I figure that this is right up there with the label on hairdryers that say "Do not use in shower".

Has this been a problem ???

Or what about on a bottle of Tilex where it says "Use only in well ventilated area"

Hell....if the area was well ventilated, I wouldn't have mold and mildew in the first place!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That said, as long as you don't go at your ear like you're mining for coal, you MAY be ok.

OMG, you guys are hilarious
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#37]
How far in do you fuckers shove the thing in you ear?  I just always use my finger!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I like to fill my ear canals with bacon drippings and let rodents lick out the wax along with the fat.

Nice try but the Boresnake post is still going to win the contest.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I like to use Bic pens to clean out my ears, then leave them laying around at work.  We have more than a few people with oral fixations around here.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm always paranoid when I clean my ears with Qtips.  I always think, this is gonna be the time when Murphys law kicks in and some car outside backfires or some large thump from the pantry is gonna startle me and I'll poke my earsdrums out.  I've used those specialty blend stuff that you drip in your ear and rinse out with a bulb syringe,  those things make you DIIIIIIZZZZZYYYYY
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I always wondered why the box of them in my medicine cabinet says "soft and gentle."

Do they MAKE "hard and rough" version of a fuckin q-tip?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Ditto for the comments regarding damage to the ear canal. It's extremely easy to abrade the tissue in the ear canal and open things up to infection. I've found a ear syringe with warm soapy water does a good job of cleaning out some incredibly nasty stuff.

For serious buildups I have to work a little longer but I no longer have the painful ear infections.

+1, ear wax is needed in small amounts to protect the ear from infection, and to help make it water resistant. Clean it too much and you are in trouble. Also, as someone stated before some people will get to crazy and actually push wax deeper into the ear canal causing a plug, and lots of problems at that point. If you are going to use a Q-tip for your ears, use it about once every week or so to remove excess wax, and only gently.....

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#43]
BTW...its kinda fun to shoot Q-tips out of an air rifle...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Ha i always push Q-tips past the recomended depth, i tear all the tags off my matresses and don`t stir up the fruit that settles in the bottom of my yogurt either. Ima baaadd man!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#45]
That whole mattress tag thing is annoying to me.  Millions of people think it's illegal to remove them, because millions of people can't be bothered to read, or to look up the word consumer.  Not to be removed except by consumer.  It just means it can't be removed except by the person who buys it for their use.

This annoys me almost as much as that stupid myth that you can't shoot a person with a fify caliber machine gun.

and QuantumPion,
Just run water in your ears when you shower.  The ear is self cleaning, and just needs a little help from some water to stay clean.  Unless you've had some radiation treatment or something like that to screw up the body's chemistry.  A drop of baby oil every couple days helps in that specific case then and cleanings at the periodic doctors follow ups.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
That whole mattress tag thing is annoying to me.  Millions of people think it's illegal to remove them, because millions of people can't be bothered to read, or to look up the word consumer.  Not to be removed except by consumer.  It just means it can't be removed except by the person who buys it for their use.

+bajillion

BTW, its a huge relief you posted that because I thought I was the only one who felt this way.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Pretty stupid. I've used Q-tips every day for most of my life and never had a problem. I can't hear worth a shit though...

I had the cotton from a Wal Mart (cheap) Q-tip, come off in my ear a few years ago.  It required a trip to the Dr. to remove it.  Several people including the Dr. told me that I shouldn't be putting them in my ear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top